Thor Cub tip out repair - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2021, 12:56 AM   #1

Pennsylvania
Thor Cub tip out repair

Hope this is in the right spot..

My wife and I just bought a 1999 Dutchmen Aerolite Cub with the front and rear tip outs. We were cleaning it the other night and got to the front tip out. Unfortunately, we found that the whole front door was basically no good. Broken foam, rotten wood, the whole 9 yards. Well, were pretty handy and learned a lot with our house so we dove right into it.

We tore out all of the old rotted wood and broken foam and shut the door over night. The next morning, we went to Home Depot and got some 7/16" OSB, 1/4" OSB and a sheet of 1/2" inch foam. When we got home and opened the door, everything was just about dry.. We cut the 7/16" OSB to fit inside the frame and laid it inside. We then did the same with the foam. After a quick lunch break, we took the 1/4" OSB and made it a little larger and secured it to the frame. Before securing anything in place, we wrapped each piece in shrink wrap plastic to kind of seal it from water. We left the original thin sheet of fiberglass but replaced the screws for the bungee holders.

Our little boy wanted to sleep in the camper so bad last night so we did! I slept on the front tip out bed and at 250lbs, I didn't have a single worry the whole night. It also rained all night and neither the front or rear tip out had any water intrusion so I believe our issue was from an old leak that was fixed but the collateral damage was never addressed. In the morning we'll be closing it down and sealing up some seams with silicone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image000001(3).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	7080   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000002(2).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	7081   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000003(2).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	7082   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000(12).jpg
Views:	190
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	7083   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000004(1).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	7084  

Titus2423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:48 AM   #2

Ohio
We have an '08 Aerolite Cub and I need to do this to 2 of the 3 tip outs. Thanks for sharing your method!

LWick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #3

Ontario
Well done

This is the right place and well done on the repair.
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
This is the right place and well done on the repair.
Thanks! It was nice to test it out right away, that way we wouldn't have to worry about how well we did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWick View Post
We have an '08 Aerolite Cub and I need to do this to 2 of the 3 tip outs. Thanks for sharing your method!
Good luck! It wasn't too difficult, just took a little time and double checking measurements. Hopefully it goes well!
Titus2423 is offline   Reply With Quote