Thinking about a fifth wheel - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

New Jersey
Thinking about a fifth wheel

I just bought a 2016 Silverado and am thinking about getting a fifth wheel. The question is because the load capacity is about 2000 lbs and towing is 9000 how much trailer can I get or should I go with bigger tag along? Just looking for opinions and issues that I might have.
Thanks, Marty

Jerseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydog View Post
I just bought a 2016 Silverado and am thinking about getting a fifth wheel. The question is because the load capacity is about 2000 lbs and towing is 9000 how much trailer can I get or should I go with bigger tag along? Just looking for opinions and issues that I might have.
Thanks, Marty
Marty,

You do realize you just opened another can of worms. You really need to start with some hard numbers, like pin weight, then add the stuff you are going to load into the truck, like you the wife, kids, dogs, cats, etc.

It won't take long to eat up 2K of load capacity.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #3

Nevada
Marty, need to know which truck you have 1500,2500,3500.....Before I went real big, I had a 32ft 5th wheel, and was using the 2500HD, which was good enough, now you can go bigger, but most of us here that went bigger, also went with the 3500 DRW, not only because of the weight, but its better in high winds....now I'm guessing you have a 1500, you can find smaller 5th wheels, but it, don't forget to add your gas, people, and all the add on to the trailer, clothes, food, propane, etc.
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #4

California
Marty
With that 9k tow rating I would stick with a 5th wheel. Sounds like this is your first RV is that right? I would look used there are lots out there that should fit your 9k tow rating. Should find something in the 28-30 foot size.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #5

New Jersey
I have a 1500 Chevy with a tow capacity of 9000 lbs. Since most 5th wheels don't attach to the rear of the truck I didn't think tonged weight was a factor. With the standard tow package I think I should get feedback from people who dealt with this situation. The wife can meet me there on her motorcycle so that should save 110 lbs. What else can I tell you that is helpful in this decision.
Thanks, Marty
Jerseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #6

Ontario
Marty,

You really need to think this through, not saying a 1500 can't move a fifth because they can, but remember you've told us that you have a 2000 lbs bed weight limit. you need to do that math, tongue weight of the 5th, mine is 32 ft but tongue weight of 1600 lbs, you can get them lighter.
you need to add the pin weight, any gas in the truck, weight of wife kids and dog (not first 150 lbs of driver that is already included), any equipment/fire wood in the truck, any equipment in the trailer (food, dished, clothes ect...) including fresh water or used, it all adds to the pin weight. Trust me it adds up quickly, if you can stay under the 2000 lbs you're legal, but to be honest with you I wouldn't tow a fifth with anything less than a 3/4 ton but I always have and always will run on the theory that 75% of vehicle capability is my max. (just me).

Good luck and let us know if you need any other help.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote