Stabilizing and Leveling left-right - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #1

Ontario
Stabilizing and Leveling left-right

Good day folks,

First issue is about leveling your trailer; we have a 2014, 30' Denali 289RKS with one super slide on the right and another smaller one up front for the bedroom closet. I noticed that when I level the trailer with the slides in, once I pull them out, I am off level, leaning on the slide side. A couple of fellas have told me that there is no problem at all to do minor back and forth adjustments on your leveling blocks with the slides out. You just don't want to jerk the trailer. We did this all last year and we were level on the first go and experienced no problems. Any feedback from you folks regarding this method would be appreciated.

Second issue is for you experienced seasonal campers who leave their rig on site year round where the ground freezes and thaws...we are in Ontario, Canada so our winters can go from -35C to + 8C in a heart beat. This year will be our first year in a seasonal campground and we will be leaving the trailer on site. We have two electric stabilizers, front and back (with two pads) and I will be adding another 6 scissor-type stabilizers to prevent the trailer from moving when we walk around. These will be on 12x12'' patio stones and will butt against the frame of the trailer....2 in back, 2 middle and 2 in front.

Question: since the ground here freezes a good 3', come spring there is always movement. My deck at home goes up a good 2'' and then settles down to its level position. Taking that into consideration, should I leave my stabilizers in place for the winter, or just take them off and retract the electric ones just like we do when we store for the winter outdoors??? I am worried that with the stabilizers in place, any ground movement may twist the frame under the pressure of frost heave. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.....Yves

Old 04-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
When I do the initial level I leave the slide side just a tad high, then when the slides are out it levels up.

As far as the frost heave, I would retract all stabilizers in the winter time, and just let it rest on the wheels and front jacks.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:55 AM   #3

Ontario
Thanks Aaron...you just confirmed what I was thinking!!!!
Old 05-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #4

Oregon
When I level my rig I want the trailer slightly off so any water that collects on top of the slide will roll away from the trailer and not into it.

Just me but I would not store my trailer in those conditions. I would store it in Arizona for the winter and I would be in it!
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
When I level my rig I want the trailer slightly off so any water that collects on top of the slide will roll away from the trailer and not into it.

Just me but I would not store my trailer in those conditions. I would store it in Arizona for the winter and I would be in it!
I would store it in Arizona for the winter and I would be in it!

You and a million other snow birds! One small city, Benson, AZ., has somewhere near 17 RV parks for winter visitors.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Winter Storage

I wonder are you going to be using the TT or storing it for the winter with the Slides out? In the environment you are describing I would close it up and use a cover over it... then just let it sit on tires and jack.

Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote