Solar question - 2022 Rubicon 1708BH - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2023, 01:05 AM   #1

Nevada
Solar question - 2022 Rubicon 1708BH

Our new 2022 Rubicon 1708BH has “Go Power solar” on board w/factory installed panel and controller. There is also a “solar on the side” port on the side of the trailer.

When I use this port with my portable panel, (to follow the sun) do I need to use the controller on my portable panel, or does the “Solar on the side” port input to the installed controller along with the factory installed panel?

Thanks

Bob Tedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 02:18 AM   #2

California
I am guessing l, but I suppose the controller is wired to the panel on your roof that came with the trailer and the port on the side is likely straight to the battery and requires a controller too.

I suspect this is the case because a controller is designed to handle a maximum amount of wattage and someone could plug anything into that port which could exceed the controller’s capacity.

I had a rig about 7 or 8 years ago that had a panel on the roof and a controller. In that case the manufacturer said that controller could accommodate one additional panel, in other words no more than one.

However, that is entirely a guess.

Old 04-04-2023, 04:16 AM   #3

Nevada
Hey thanks! That makes complete sense the way you put it! I’ve been a communications tech for almost 40 years, I should have thought of that. By requiring it’s own controller it’s protecting the factory installed solar.
Bob Tedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 09:15 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Bob, I have the same setup. I assume you have two batteries. Are your red and black load wires from the camper both go to the first battery?
Cruyf60 is offline   Reply With Quote