Smell From Furnace - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

Smell From Furnace

My wife and I own a 2011 Classic 265BHS travel trailer. Our first trip took us to Yellowstone over the 4th of July. Because it gets cold in Yellowstone in the mornings, even in the summer, the first morning we were there, I turned on the furnace to warm the trailer. Almost immediately, I noticed a smell coming from the furnace vents. It smelled similar to what a new tire smells like. I assumed it was a normal "breakin" smell and ignored it. However, about five minutes later, my smoke detector went off. I turned off the furnace and aired the trailer out. After about a half hour, I turned it on again. Same results - the smoke alarm went off. I looked in the owner's manual, but there is nothing in there insofar as troubleshooting is concerned. I called the dealer and they said it was a normal smell and that it would clear up once I had used the furnace a couple of times.

This cannot be normal. Has anyone experienced something similar and if so, what did you do to correct it? Thanks!

rickcop44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #2

Mine smelled also although and the smoke detectors did go off also. A quick look in the manual states when first running the heater to open all the doors and windows to vent the smell. I suppose in your case it is normal. I had to take my batteries out of the smoke detectors for about an hour. All is normal now after running the heater for a couple days. I think yours is probably normal and the next time you will have no issues.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

I appreciate the thoughts, Tanman. Unfortunately, we are now in year two of our TT and the problem persists. I've written to the manufacturer of the furnace, but got no response. I've asked Dutchmen, but they just tell me to talk to the manufacturer of the furnace. Honestly, I'm afraid to even turn it on anymore.
rickcop44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #4

Sorry I misunderstood your post. I thought it was the first time firing up the furnace. Maybe just trash got in the burner unit that caused the problems. Just guessing of course. I hope you get it resolved before your next trip. good luck
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote