Sealtech test - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #1

Florida
Sealtech test

We just got our trailer a 2010 kodiak 24RBSL. we have no leaks that I see. Has anyone Had the Sealtech leak test done on their RV? Camping World wants $250.00 to do this test. Alot of people say water damage is the worst thing for a RV. Do you think I should have it done? Or am I just looking for trouble??

masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #2

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
We just got our trailer a 2010 kodiak 24RBSL. we have no leaks that I see. Has anyone Had the Sealtech leak test done on their RV? Camping World wants $250.00 to do this test. Alot of people say water damage is the worst thing for a RV. Do you think I should have it done? Or am I just looking for trouble??
I wouldn't pay someone $250 for something you can find out the first time it rains.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #3

British Columbia
I have a moisture meter as part of my RV tool kit. I originaly bought it to check my firewood for moisture content, so it's an old pin type.

Advance 20-30 years and technology has caught up and now offers a pinless meter. There is advantages to the pinless in that you don't have to look for inconspicuous places to pin the surface. I could also find moisture sooner, as some of them scan fairly deep. Most big box home improvement stores carry them.

Part of my spring ritual is a moisture test, also when we are camping and have a big rain storm and high winds. I have never had a problem, touch wood.

My meter has saved me more than once, from buying a water logged camper. I would take the $250 and by the best meter I could find.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:57 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I am inclined to agree with Jim. Get a good high quality moisture meter first. Then if you find and issue and simply cannot locate the source of the leak then do the Sealtech test. I would also see if there is an independent that does it. I only paid $150 for my test on one of my Airstreams. In my case it was worth every penny because we could not find the source of the leak, turned out to be a missed rivet hole under a panel lip, totally concealed.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I have a moisture meter as part of my RV tool kit. I originaly bought it to check my firewood for moisture content, so it's an old pin type.

Advance 20-30 years and technology has caught up and now offers a pinless meter. There is advantages to the pinless in that you don't have to look for inconspicuous places to pin the surface. I could also find moisture sooner, as some of them scan fairly deep. Most big box home improvement stores carry them.

Part of my spring ritual is a moisture test, also when we are camping and have a big rain storm and high winds. I have never had a problem, touch wood.

My meter has saved me more than once, from buying a water logged camper. I would take the $250 and by the best meter I could find.

great advice ! thats what i would do also.. good luck , tom.
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #6

Florida
Sealtech test

Thanks for the reply's!! We have decided not to get the test and use the money to repack the bearings and get new tires!! After a few heavy rains in Florida We see no leaks. Thanks again.
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:15 AM   #7

British Columbia
Much better use of the money, you won't have to worry about them for a bit.

Don't discount the moisture meter, very often were the water damage shows on the inside can be several feet away. Water takes the path of least resistance, with a meter you can trace the water back to the actual leak.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Got a buddy of mine that does home inspections, borrowed one of his meters the other day for a project, it is an awesome piece of kit. Need to cash in one of my retirement accounts and buy one.

It is dual scan, it does both non-penetrating as well as having the pins for precise location.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Got a buddy of mine that does home inspections, borrowed one of his meters the other day for a project, it is an awesome piece of kit. Need to cash in one of my retirement accounts and buy one.

It is dual scan, it does both non-penetrating as well as having the pins for precise location.

Aaron

That's a nice piece, all the bells and whistles. I like the remote sensor, that's the thing I like about my old analog meter, it allows you to get in behind stuff that you can't see or get the handheld meter into. Love them 5" probes.

Nice price alright! Way more meter than I need, but I do like to buy the good stuff, it pays off in the end.