Sealant "leak" on front of trailer... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2022, 02:06 PM   #1
Cat

Florida
Sealant "leak" on front of trailer...

My Kodiak TT was bought used. We've had it over a year, and it's in good shape. We've done a few things to it in the last year, but for the most part, it's original.

On the front of my travel trailer, there's a seal where the upper body and the diamond plate rock guard meet. There is this super sticky white sealant-like material that is dripping out from under the molding. I can't figure out what the sealant is, what it's for, whether I should be worried by it, or even how to fix it. It is extremely difficult to remove; I have to pick at it, rub it with a wet cloth, and then finally scrub at the residue with cleanser.

In the past year, the screws in the molding over the actual "meet" have loosened, and I've had to tighten them down (although two are stripped).

Anybody know what this sticky substance is? And any idea how to fix it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KodiakDrips.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	7330   Click image for larger version

Name:	KodiakDrips 02.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	7331  

Old 03-05-2022, 03:47 PM   #2

Florida
They probably used decor self leveling instead of the dicor non-sag would be my guess. Go to www.dicor.COM. They have videos that may give answers. They also have a great support line.

By the way, I saw a great how-to video using zip ties to fix stripped out screw holes.

franktafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #3
Cat

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
They probably used decor self leveling instead of the decor non-sag would be my guess...
Thanks for your reply. I've been reading tons of forum posts, and watching videos on sealants, and was just beginning to wonder about a self-leveling sealant. So, I guess if it gets warm (and I live in Central Florida so that's like ALL the time), it's just melting and dripping out.

I'm guessing I'll need to remove the molding, try to clean out all the sealant, then apply something else... maybe Eternabond tape? ... across the seam, and replace the molding.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:02 PM   #4

Florida
If you use eternabond, you will NEVER get it off. That eternabond stuff is true to it’s name. Use butyl tape instead.

Our recent 90 degree weather probably softened it up in addition to you tightening the screws.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:43 AM   #5

Illinois
Just a thought but instead of taking the strip off, cleaning, etc. Why not just clean off what's dripping again and run a bead of black silicone caulk under the strip? That would stop anything from dripping out the bottom.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:47 PM   #6

Florida
SILLY CONE? U use that stuff?
Old 03-07-2022, 09:46 AM   #7

Illinois
Use whatever matching or clear sealant that won't drip you'd like. Better option than pulling the strip, cleaning, resealing, etc.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #8
Cat

Florida
Quote:
If you use eternabond, you will NEVER get it off. That eternabond stuff is true to it’s name. Use butyl tape instead.

Our recent 90 degree weather probably softened it up in addition to you tightening the screws.
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #9
Cat

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Just a thought but instead of taking the strip off, cleaning, etc. Why not just clean off what's dripping again and run a bead of black silicone caulk under the strip? That would stop anything from dripping out the bottom.
Rusty
Sounds easier, but I was thinking it wouldn't really fix it. I'll have to give it some thought. Thx.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:24 PM   #10

California
Thinking outside the box, I owned and repaired boats for 30 years sold the boat and now own 2017 Kodiak.
I used to use 3M 4200 to seal the under the rub rail where the deck and hull meet as it sealed very well.
4200 is removable as 5200 is permanent.
As for the rail screws try going up a size, or sealing the screw hole with JB weld drill new hole to existing screw size.
The boat rub rails are simular to tt rails
Just my 2 cents.
trucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 02:56 PM   #11
Cat

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by trucking View Post
Thinking outside the box...
I used to use 3M 4200 to seal under the rub rail where the deck and hull meet as it sealed very well.
4200 is removable as 5200 is permanent.
Thanks for the reply. We also have a boat, but not sure I have any of that product, or ever had it.

We don't have a Camping World nearby - and I can't seem to find Dicor products anywhere else local.... 4200 may be a good alternative.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:36 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Thanks for the reply. We also have a boat, but not sure I have any of that product, or ever had it.

We don't have a Camping World nearby - and I can't seem to find Dicor products anywhere else local.... 4200 may be a good alternative.
I purchased Dicor non leveling sealant for my tt roof from Amazon free shipping 4 day delivery.
Happy trails, PJ
trucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:42 PM   #13
Cat

Florida
Well, I'm back! I purchased Dicor non-sag sealant in Black. I've cleaned the trailer front cap, spent a few hours removing the old silicone/sealant from the front rubrail, and my husband replaced all the screws across the front with ones that were a bit bigger, and they seem to be holding well.

Here's my problem: the Dicor sealant is VERY thick; much thicker than any other sealant I've ever used. And, over the years I've used a lot! I applied a bead, and tried to smooth it out. I wet my gloved hand with a soap & water solution (I've read that this keeps the sealant from sticking too much to your finger - and it worked for that), and ran a finger down the sealant. It looked HORRIBLE.

The sealant wasn't really smooth, like when you rub a finger on silicone, almost like it has fibers in the mix. It really spread out alot. And, wasn't really sticking much to the trailer. I'd wiped it down with Denatured Alcohol as I'd read this was good for removing any grease, etc, off the trailer. I'm guessing my bead was too big, but the sealant is so thick it's hard to get out of the tube. Any idea if this is normal?

I ended up wiping down the entire area again, removing all the sealant I'd just placed.

I've tried to find videos specific to Dicor's non-sag sealant, but all the YouTube videos seem to address roofs and self-leveling sealants.

Anyone have any advice on best ways to apply this non-sag?
Old 03-23-2022, 09:46 PM   #14
Cat

Florida
My husband has cut a new tip for my Dicor sealant, and I saw a video that used painters tape, to make sure the sealant didn't spread to far. I'm going to try that too.

I'm still concerned that this tube of Dicor might be bad or old because of it's thickness...
Old 03-24-2022, 11:08 AM   #15

Florida
It is very thick and somewhat difficult to get out. I use a battery powered caulking gun but, I know not everyone has one handy. I believe the non sag caulk is supposed to be self leveling but not so sure that is the perfect place to use it. I would have preferred butyl tape for your application.
Old 03-27-2022, 03:17 PM   #16
Cat

Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
It is very thick ... I use a battery powered caulking gun but, I know not everyone has one handy. ..I would have preferred butyl tape for your application.
Thanks Frank for your reply! I am sure butyl tape would have been much better if I had taken the strip off.
Old 03-27-2022, 03:26 PM   #17
Cat

Florida
Final results

I thought it might be helpful to post info on my progress and results.

Recall that the sealant that had been used previously (and I've found some smaller drips elsewhere) was beginning to "drip" or sag out from under the strip over the seal on the front of my travel trailer. [Pics in first post] I believe this was not butyl tape, but possibly a self-leveling sealant, as I've found it seeping through a bit in other areas where a seal was needed.

I cleaned off as much as I possibly could, and then used denatured alcohol to clean it up. I also removed the sealant (unknown manuf.) from the top of the strip, and up the front sides a bit as there was damage to the seal on the vertical wall.

I used painter's tape to tape off on both sides of where I would apply sealant. While my husband used the caulking gun (I'm no wimp, but it was HARD to squeeze that Dicor non-sag sealant out), I came behind him and with a gloved and water/dish-soap covered finger, spread out the sealant over the gap.

I removed the painter's tape pretty quickly, as the sealant wanted to set up fast, and then used a gloved and water/dish-soap covered finger to smooth out the sealant again - the painter's tape wanted to make it lift up just a hair.

It turned out looking okay. Not my best sealant/caulk presentation.

It has not had a rain test yet, but I think it's gonna work out just fine. I'll need to seal other areas on this trailer in the next few months.

Thanks to all who posted replies. I truly appreciate all your valuable tips!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodiak-FrontSeal.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	7347