Rubber Roof Care & Maintenance - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #1

Ontario
Rubber Roof Care & Maintenance

Good day folks,

Well, we are having a bit of summer up here in Ottawa, Canada, sunny and around 45F (OK, no comments from you ''cousins'' down south..I know it's probably 90F somewhere...LOL).

I discussed rubber roof care and maintenance with one of the techs where we bought our rig. He said that all you really have to do is sweep it and clean it with a soft brush and a mild detergent a couple times a season and add lapping compound to joints whenever needed.

I asked about coating it with a UV blocking solution that either comes in a spray or liquid that you can just roll on. He said that this was not necessary because the rubber roof was constructed to withstand harsh environments. Nothing needs to be done other than the occasional cleaning and resealing of joints.

Personally, I think that using a product like Dicor Acrylic Coating once a year (or every 2 yrs) would greatly help in increasing the duration of your roof. At $120gal it's not cheap but a gal. or two should do my roof which would be a good investment.

Being retired, we want this rig to last us for the next 15+yrs so we don't mind babying it and going a tad overboard on some aspects

What are your thoughts on that and how do you care for your rubber roof?

Old 11-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #2

Tennessee
It's funny because Dutchman says it's completely unnecessary and will not void the roof warranty, but Dicor makes the roof and sells protectant for it. I bought some and plan to do it just once a year. I have washed the roof twice since I got it in July. A confusing read, as it seems that dicor wrote it?
http://dutchmen.com/image/data/docum...er%20Roofs.pdf

I did do my slide out roof and seals with 303 protectant, it's the best stuff i've ever used for UV protection and it's epdm safe. I figure it will help keep the top seal lubed and protected as it slides in and out.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #3

California
Well I have a 2003 Teton I've had from day one. Has sat under the desert sun with no rubber roof problems. If I remember right it had a 15 year warranty on the roof when I bought it.
My son just bought a 1996 Wilderness 5th wheel and the rubber roof on the slide is in great shape. Even the main roof except for a couple of small area's looks fine. I agree 303 is great stuff & that should work just fine.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #4

Colorado
Hard to believe that you are warmer (more than double) than we are today, with you in the "Great White North". I think I am jealous.

We are in our second year of ownership and I have not done anything at all to the roof. I can see the roof from a second floor window and it looks bright and clean.

What I was told was that if it showed signs of dirt or mold, then wash it, otherwise leave it alone. I was also cautioned to keep an eye on the lap joints and I think I will need some Dicor after we head south after the New Year.

I think that due to where we live (the humidity is very low) so that kind of eliminates the mold issue. We have traveled through and been camped in some really driving rainstorms so that keeps the roof clean. Perhaps the treatment you are talking about may have some benefit, but I am not sure the cost offsets what I am seeing so far, for us at least.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
I am a professional industrial roofer by trade.

A gentle cleaning once or twice a year and check the sealants is all you need.

Dicor has the information on their website. Biggest thing to avoid is any petrochemical based cleaners and strong solvents.

We have actually redone a couple of 5vers that the guys that work for me own, with a very high end PVC roofing material... has a 30 year warranty when installed on a factory. Expect it to last 40+ on an RV.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #6

Ontario
Thanks guys! I guess I'll play it by ear and wash it a few time a year when it needs it and if it starts to look like it needs new life then maybe give it a coat of Dicor - but from what I read here and hear from friends, that should not be necessary for quite a few years. Good general maintenance and joint inspection is what matters most.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Mountie View Post
Thanks guys! I guess I'll play it by ear and wash it a few time a year when it needs it and if it starts to look like it needs new life then maybe give it a coat of Dicor - but from what I read here and hear from friends, that should not be necessary for quite a few years. Good general maintenance and joint inspection is what matters most.

Especially the joint inspections..... don't want any leaks!!!!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #8

Tennessee
I know one thing, I never regret getting a carport, that protects the roof 11 months out of the year.