Roof care, soft floor spots.....any advice? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Roof care, soft floor spots.....any advice?

Love my bunkhouse, but would like any advice on a couple problems I'm having. First, the one bathroom seems to leak water where the vent is on the ceiling. I've applied the sticky putty-like RV roof stuff all the way around the opening (from the outside) - but still notice it must leak here/there. Last winter I purchased a custom-fit breathable fabric cover for the unit and don't know if it allowed the piled snow to just work its way in or what. Should I better protect that opening this winter, under the cover?? Secondly, I have two soft spots in my floor - one is directly inside my door and the other is right before where the tipout starts. Have looked underneath the unit - but it seems that I'd have to cut through from the bottom to even see the problem. Is it better to work inside-out for that kind of problem? Would like to fix before it is any worse. Thanks for any/all advice

Boatgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #2

Quebec
Any possibility the leak around the vent is coming through the vent itself .... ie. it is not closing securely? Do you have MaxxAir (or similar) vent coverings installed over the vent (so it can be left open when raining or on the road)? As for the floor, work from the top side. If some wood needs to be replaced, it will have to be done from the top anyway. I'd start with the section near the door. There is probably some molding at the entrance that can be easily removed so you can lift the linoleum and see what's happening.

2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
I have never heard of the MaxxAir vent coverings - but will do some research. I don't have anything like that - just crank open when it's nice and crank closed when it's not. Thanks for the advice on the floor as well - will definitely use it!
Boatgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #4

Quebec
If you happen to have the Fall 2013 edition of the Camping World catalogue, look on page 17 and you'll see the MaxxAir vent covers as well as a 'no-name' equivalent. Alternatively, go to the Camping World website.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, floor, roof, winter