Replace flooring - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2020, 05:58 PM   #1

Ontario
Exclamation Replace flooring

I have had some water leak issues and therefor have a soft spongy floor in areas. I want to replace the spongy areas. Any hints on what I will find when I cut the vinyl floor and open it up? What do I need to use to replace and is there somewhere underneath to attach it to?

Mcgowancamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgowancamper View Post
I have had some water leak issues and therefor have a soft spongy floor in areas. I want to replace the spongy areas. Any hints on what I will find when I cut the vinyl floor and open it up? What do I need to use to replace and is there somewhere underneath to attach it to?
soft spongy floors don't always indicate a water issue. Sometimes the factory cheats on the plywood underlayment and it doesn't always reach the floor joist (support) and can cause a soft spot or "spongy" (speaking from experience). I recommend checking it with a camera probe to see if there is anything going on that is worth the trouble.

Good luck McGowan and welcome to the forum.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #3

Ontario
I know there were water issues, because I had to fix them first.
Mcgowancamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #4

Michigan
Spongy Floors

How you fix the floor depends on how the floor is made. Most of the newer units with fiberglass sides use a sandwich construction, that is two 1/4" sheets of lauan with 1 1/2" of foam sandwiched between them with aluminum channel around the outside. These are usually 4 x 8 foot panels. If that is what you have, there is no good way to fix it, they are vacuum formed and you can't do that. Others use 3/4" strand board and that can be patched in with new board. You carefully peal back the linoleum, replace the bad wood and re-glue the linoleum.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor bounce, flooring