Quick connect grill - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #1

New York
Quick connect grill

Just had my first trip of the season this past weekend and realized that my portable grill and camp stove wont run properly off the quick connect out side propane line. My research today tells me its because the trailer propane is low pressure.

My question is, is it possible to convert my grill to run off the low pressure or do I have to A) Get a new grill or B) run my current grill off of canisters?

Tackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:57 PM   #2

Missouri
There are kits for certain grills. It eliminates the regulator portion on you grill. Tell us what kind of grill you have....

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:01 PM   #3

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
There are kits for certain grills. It eliminates the regulator portion on you grill. Tell us what kind of grill you have....

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
I just bought a Wal Mart special to replace my old tabletop grill because I thought the grill was the problem... but I am open to returning the Wal Mart grill for something that will run off the trailer propane. Here's what I bought....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-Gr...Grill/54891438
Old 06-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
You have a few options. The trailer line is likely low pressure which means you need to get a conversion kit of some sort to eliminate the regulator on the grill. Or you can have a high pressure port plumbed into the trailer LP system, then use the grill normally.

We typically haul a spare tank and use a Propane tree to hook our outside stoves and grills up to. We used a regular 20# tank in a milk crate for years. Currently have one of the new fangled FRP tanks and it doesn't need the milk crate.
You can use the small canisters, we keep a couple on board just in case.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #5

Michigan
I and several of our camping friends have Weber Q's. I am sure this would work fine with others as well. I removed the regulator from the grill and replaced it with a quick disconnect fitting. I also installed a quick disconnect fitting AFTER the regulator on the camper. Works like a charm. The key is finding out if you have the QD on the camper end installed before or after the camper regulator.

I had some similar issues with my home smoker, so I removed the OE regulator and replaced it with an adjustable one. Now I can run the smoker as low as 120 degrees or hot enough to burn anything I want to.

DISCLAIMER - if you remove the regulator from your camper grill, NEVER connect that grill to a propane bottle or disaster will ensue.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #6

New York
My connection is after the regulator under the outside kitchen (Coleman 244BH). I looked at low pressure grills and thats not in the budget for now. Does anyone know what I would need to convert my current grill regulator to low pressure? Its looking more and more like ill just have to stick with the canisters for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #7

Tennessee
This topic has been covered a lot on here. If you google "gas grill to rv propane conversion" you'll get a ton of info and videos explaining how to do it, if it's possible for your grill.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:19 AM   #8

New York
Found a Coleman RoadTrip on Craigslist for $80 and conversion instructions on Amazon. All set to go now, but still trying to find my groove with the more powerful grill... hot dogs burn quick!

Old 08-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
I just bought a Wal Mart special to replace my old tabletop grill because I thought the grill was the problem... but I am open to returning the Wal Mart grill for something that will run off the trailer propane. Here's what I bought....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-Gr...Grill/54891438
Looking at your grill looks like regulator and the valve are one piece. Get the Weber Q when you can and get one the kits so you can take off the regulator.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #10

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
Looking at your grill looks like regulator and the valve are one piece. Get the Weber Q when you can and get one the kits so you can take off the regulator.
See post above yours.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:22 AM   #11

Massachusetts
I bought a roadtrip at dicks sporting goods and modified the regulator for about 9 bucks
now I can use small green tankd ... 20 lb bottle ... or attach to my low pressure hook up on my RV

Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote