Question on tires... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #1

Question on tires...

We had a blowout a couple of days ago on our Denali 289rk. Since I use a tire monitoring system to monitor pressure and tire temperatures, I was very surprised and disappointed that the sidewall blew out without any pressure or temperature increases. How has everyone's tires been holding up? I am thinking of moving to a E load rated tire but have no real information on whether this was just an isolated instance or whether I really do need a stouter tire.

Denakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #2

Washington
Re: Question on tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denakk
We had a blowout a couple of days ago on our Denali 289rk. Since I use a tire monitoring system to monitor pressure and tire temperatures, I was very surprised and disappointed that the sidewall blew out without any pressure or temperature increases. How has everyone's tires been holding up? I am thinking of moving to a E load rated tire but have no real information on whether this was just an isolated instance or whether I really do need a stouter tire.
How fast we're you going? These standard TT tires are rated for no more than 65 MPH......I shudder when I get passed by those towing 5ers and TT's doing 75+ .........not saying YOU were, because if you were towing within the limits of the tires, that's a little scary because that is the same TT we have.
What brand were your tires? Mine are AKURETS, which I've never heard of.....scary!
I too have thought of putting heavier duty tires on the TT but worry that the stiffer sidewall is going to be harder on the structure of the walls etc......

Glenn and Cheryle- loving retirement
Spokane, Washington
2012 Denali 289RK
2012 F150 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
Denali2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #3

British Columbia

I had some concerns about these tires when I picked up our trailer, I will have to ask the guys at Meridian RV if there have been any issues with them. I bought an infrared thermometer and plan to use it regularly for the first while until I have a better comfort level. Denakk, do you mind if I ask what brand of TPMS system you are using? I've been shopping for a system and haven't pulled the trigger yet, but need to before we leave for our Yukon / Alaska trip in August.

Cheers
Daryl B.
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #4

The tires are Trail Express -Power Touring ST225/75R15. Denali buys them from a company named Lionshead in Elkhart. I called Lionshead since the tires are less than a year old and they needed pictures of the blowout, a copy of the receipt for the new tire AND to send them the cut from the tire DOT information from the side with the manufactured date - the actual rubber. Good to know for next time. I travel at 60mph. Never any higher since I pull with the Tundra. The tpms is from TST and I use them on the Tundra and trailer.
Denakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #5

Washington

Ours came with the same brand but ST235/80R16. Only 5200lb axles so in theory, they should be overkill with a 3410lb rating each. We developed a bubble in the sidewall of one tire on our first trip out. Tires are always at 80psi and we ran 55-60mph. That tire was replaced without issue, but I don't trust these tires. I'll be putting some LT235/85R16's on before we head for Yellowstone even though these tires have less than 1000 miles on them.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #6

I did some research on the Akuret tires which came on my new Kodiak and was pleasently surprised at the findings. Akuret's are manufactured in China by Yokohama which is a top Japanese tire company. They are distributed by Delta which has a great reputation for aftermarket tires and they have been sold in the states for over 20 years. I would still highly recommend watching your speeds and loads as they are just "trailer" tires and rated accordingly. But, I did feel better learning the skinny on them.
BigBoyjack b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #7

Saskatchewan

Thanks for the Akuret info Jack. I have the same tires on our Kodiak.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #8

British Columbia

That calms my nerves considerably, I just had one replaced due to a very poor wear pattern and running slightly hotter than the other 3. Turned out the tire was egg shaped and the tread wasn't running true to the tire.

Cheers
Daryl B.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #9

Maryland

After I read about your guys tires in this thread I decided to check my tires to see what brand ours has, and at first was relieved to see they are Akuret, but as I looked closer, I noticed one of my front ones has a bulge on the side of it. I assume this means a broke belt? Also assume this wouldn't be a warranty item? I seriously feel like giving up on the camper world, just to frustrating.
Wakeisland53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #10

British Columbia

A bulged tire should be a warrant-able problem, my dealer covered my tire issue without hesitation. If your dealer has an issue contact the tire distributor directly and find out what they have to say.

Cheers
Daryl B.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #11

Maryland

That makes me feel a little better hearing that ;-hap I still haven't checked the other side yet, or the inside area of the rest of them. A coworker of mine was surprised awhile back when He asked the load range of our camper tires, I looked and it was a C, he figured they would have higher range than that. He has E on his race car trailer, but he is hauling more weight than we are too I think.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #12

I do think a bulging tire would be covered under warranty so if the dealer can't help, the distributor of Akuret tires is Del-Nat out of Memphis, TN. Should be able to just look them up on the internet. I was also surprised to find that my Akuret's have a "C" load rating and that will be upgraded at replacement time. So far the only issue with my Kodiak is every one of the chrome lug nuts are covered with rust. The dealer is contacting Dutchmen hopefully for replacements.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #13

Maryland

Was talking about this again to my coworker, he thinks in my case its just how the tire was put together, I then took pics to show him, and he still thinks that is the case, don't see this on my other ones so far but I haven't looked on all sides of the tires either. Thought I would post one of the pics to see what you guys think as well, maybe we were over reacting. He said he has run some like this on his car trailer before.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #14

Bruce, I have seen tires do this before but considering the weight you are carrying and the potential damage of a blowout, I personally would not take a chance. Have you talked with the TT dealer? That would be a good place to start.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #15

Maryland

Not yet, my wife has already talked to them about a number of things we were going to take it back for next week, but that was before I noticed this on the tire. She will probably ask them that too, she seems to like doing the calling, which I have no problem with, lol.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #16

Maryland

My wife called TT dealer yesterday, he says it wouldn't be covered, haven't tried going through tire people yet though. Glad I seen this post about tires, I just looked at mine out of curiosity who made mine, and found this spot on the tire, even though I hate finding this, thanks to you guys for talking about it on here, may have saved us in some way, in either aggravation on the road, or safety ;-hap .
Old 06-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #17

British Columbia

Well that's the pits the TT dealer will not cover the tire....I doubled checked my tires as well...all ok. ( so far)
Good luck with the tire people..
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #18

Maryland

Thanks, I will probably need it, lol. I ordered one of those trailer Ez things to use for changing to the spare, delivery guy brought it yesterday but didn't leave it at the door like they usually do, hope for a redelivery today.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #19

Bruce, here is the information on the distributor for Akuret tires that can help you with the warranty issues:

DelNatŪ Tire Corporation
2365 Texas Drive
Memphis, TN 38106
USA

Phone: 901-775-5002
Fax: 901-942-9094
Email: marketing@delnat.com

They should be able to put you in touch with the nearest tire dealer and give you particulars on the warranty. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #20

now you dont think they would put top onf the line tires on do you?
we look like we have 10k on ours and its only been to dealer 3 times and back to factory on or once. i plan on getting those tires sensors as well but dont need more thing for the trailer sitting around like the 2 new honda gens we bought last dec. I WANT MY NEW TRAILER!!!!!!!!!

strodguy is offline   Reply With Quote