Question on tires... - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #21

Re: Question on tires...

I also had a blow-out on my Akuret tire. I have only about 700 miles on them.
The side-wall went out at about 55 MPH on a smooth HWY.
I am going to pursue 10 Ply tires. I don't trust these any longer.

patneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #22

British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by patneal
I also had a blow-out on my Akuret tire. I have only about 700 miles on them.
The side-wall went out at about 55 MPH on a smooth HWY.
I am going to pursue 10 Ply tires. I don't trust these any longer.
Do you mind if I ask what size your tires are and how heavy your TT is, I'm trying to make a decision on changing out my Akuret tire to something else but I'm well within the weight rating and other than the egg shaped tire that was replaced under warranty they seem to be wearing well and the tire temps are good.

Daryl

grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #23

The GVWR is 9680, and I was carring about 1/2 tank fresh water. Cargo was about 200 lbs.
The tires are Akuret HF188 ST225/75R at 60PSI. I will not pull it again until I can get these off and step up to a load range E tire. I have been pulling RVs since 2002, and this is the first time I have ever had a tire go out on me. It could have been bad had it not been for a lady flagging me down.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #24

Well, I have not been very successful finding any warranty coverage on my Akuret tire blow-out. When I contacted the Akuret company, they said that they “don’t stock that size tire”.
On the plus side, I have got them all off of my Denali.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #25

By the way, I was at about 7,000 lbs when I had the blow-out, and the tire and wheel was not hot.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #26

I also am not a fan of the China Bombs on new campers. Mine came with Akuret E rated tires. WTF is a Akuret tire was my first thought. They now have about 4000 miles on them and have performed well so far. I was really leery with them but wanted to get some of my money back since i did buy them. My camper on my last haul to the mountains was fully loaded and the toy box had two Goldwing motorcycles in it. That alone was nearly 2000 pounds. My total load was unknown but I estimated it near or at 15000 lbs maybe more since my wife knows no limit. The 5er is rated at 16000. I was pretty loaded.
I kept track of the tire temps and most ran around 115 degrees to 120 degrees. One tire ran a little higher at 131 degrees. They were pressured to 82 psi cold. I traveled at 60 going up to the mountains and 70 returning. Sometimes at 75 going downhill and a few times even more by accident. I must say the tires performed well but I am still leery of china bombs and will go to an F or G rated tire soon in another brand that is tried and true.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #27

Texas
Akuret Tire Problems

Just picked up our new Denali 262RLX two days ago and one of the tires blew-up on the way home! Called Dutchmen and they said call a company "Lions Head" for tire warranty. Called them and they said blow-outs weren't covered. At least Dutchmen said they would take care of the damage to the trailer...very disappointed with our new purchase! Checked into Akuret Tires, made in China and found a number of lawsuits on-line against them including one in Arkansas by a gas station attendent that had one blow-up in his face! Seems this Chinese company is using a tire manufacturing process that is no longer legal in the US due to problems with bead separation! Guess I better look into getting them off before doing any traveling!
waynechum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #28

ouch on Akuret tires. That is what my voltage came with. So far so good. Maybe 5k on them so far and quite loaded on the last trip with 2 goldwing motorcycles in the back. I am looking into different tires already. I trying to make these last a few more miles into next year. Heres hoping.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #29

Montana
That's scary about Dutchmen trailers. What else is going to go wrong?
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #30

Montana
Yikes! Upon reading this thread, I raced out and checked the tires on my new Dutchmen. Sure enough, they were Akurets.

Thank you for addressing this topic. I'll be fully alert from this point on!

Double yikes!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #31

New York
WOW....and our TH is in storage an hour away.....guess we'll wait until Spring to have to check out the tire situation!

Actually tire wear was one of the "things" on my warranty list for the dealer come spring!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #32

Montana
So, what happens to the handling of a truck and trailer if you have blowout?

On my rig, I've got two axles, so at least I have one wheel on that side to carry the load.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #33

New York
We had a blow out on our Sunline T2499 and never knew it blew!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #34

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
That's scary about Dutchmen trailers. What else is going to go wrong?
Not a "Dutchmen" issue. It's an industry wide issue.

I thought ours was setup pretty well since the tires were rated well above the weight that would be on them, just turns out the tires are junk no matter what the rating.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #35

Montana
Nana & Poppy:

Thank you. That's a relief! I was imagining something like a roll-over.

Rasteck:

Now about Dutchmen trailers having things wrong, I agree about the tires being an industry-wide problem and not constrained to Dutchmen. However, I'm disappointed that these particular tires came up for discussion, since I have them, too.

Actually, I've come across numerous things in my Aspen Trail that are just downright sloppy, lazy work, and I've corrected. Like using wire nuts to tie two electrical wires together, but not covering the connection with electrical tape to ensure the wires stay together during road vibration. Or like noting that interior lights had what appeared to be a short, then finding the technician didn't tighten the set screw at the circuit breaker. Etc. After hearing about the tires, I was wondering, God, what else?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #36

Washington
Hey Vern, I hear you. We had latches that had the catch installed on the side but the clip was along the top. Not sure what you'd call that. LOL

We caught all of that during the shake down. During our last trip I glued, nailed and screwed a bunch of stuff back together. Still have a couple broken shelves to fix.

All in all, considering the roads around here it's holding up pretty well. Of course if I could've afforded a DRV, Carriage, etc (and had a dually) I would have gone that route. ;-)

Just keeps your handyman skills sharp.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #37

Montana
Right on, Rasteck. Actually, being retired, it gave me something to do! My wife always knows where to find me. LOL

I just finished my third and last cabinet, and am now wondering if I should remove that sheet of covering underneath the trailer to see what I can see.

But baby, it's cold outside.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #38

Washington
Look at it this way, you'll never get bored. :-)
Old 11-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #39

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasteck View Post
Look at it this way, you'll never get bored. :-)
That's for darn sure! I've had recent times where I sat in the trailer and asked "what am I missing?"
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #40

Texas
Yes I agree with those tires I also have them on my Komfort and I am having a problem with them not wearing correctly, I have a TPMS on them also. will ck into a new brand and recomendation??

aapcon131 is offline   Reply With Quote