Purchased a 2016 Aspen Trail 2710.. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #1

North Dakota
Purchased a 2016 Aspen Trail 2710..

So impulse buy over the weekend after looking at campers for the last two years. It doesn't have all the features we were really looking for but for the price and what is in it we can't complain for our first camper. We won't lose too much on depreciation in the time we are ready to upgrade to something with more options, so we are pretty happy.

So with that being said, any issues with this model or things to be worried about?

First mods that need to be done right away?

I've camped a LOT as a kid in a motorhome and currently camp a lot with work (in a tent as a firefighter) but it's been a while since I've had all the luxuries.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Rob1334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #2

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1334 View Post
So impulse buy over the weekend after looking at campers for the last two years. It doesn't have all the features we were really looking for but for the price and what is in it we can't complain for our first camper. We won't lose too much on depreciation in the time we are ready to upgrade to something with more options, so we are pretty happy.

So with that being said, any issues with this model or things to be worried about?

First mods that need to be done right away?

I've camped a LOT as a kid in a motorhome and currently camp a lot with work (in a tent as a firefighter) but it's been a while since I've had all the luxuries.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Congrats on the camper. I had to laugh at the depreciation comment, you lost 25% just by driving out of the lot.

As far as mods, i'd just go around and check all your water and plumbing connections, they seem to be loose from the factory on a lot of units. That may save you from the tear out the floor and replace mod.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #3

Montana
Our 2710BH came with a spare tire that wasn't the same diameter as the others. RV shop replaced it for free. No other issues other than stuff I messed up on my own. In hindsight, this camper was too long for the way we usually like to primitive camp. But we do love having a bedroom with a door.

First mods depends on how you'll use it. We have still not ever camped in a campground, strictly boondocking so we did an axle flip right away to raise it up for better clearance on primitive roads. I also installed solar and swapped the two 12V dual purpose marine batteries for 6V GC from Costco. Converted all lights to LEDs.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:52 PM   #4

North Dakota
Yah I understand depreciation, it's just a lower price camper so not as worried about my "25%" off the lot when I'm paying 13-14k vs someone paying 30k. And in my area campers hold their value because of the oil industry, many people live in them and are crazy popular here.

Any certain connections to check vs others? Seems lots complain about the water heater/pump area if there is a leak. What else to check, tank holding areas and such?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2016, 10:09 PM   #5

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum, Rob.

We can spend plenty of your money on mods, just tell us how much you want to spend.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Yah I understand depreciation, it's just a lower price camper so not as worried about my "25%" off the lot when I'm paying 13-14k vs someone paying 30k. And in my area campers hold their value because of the oil industry, many people live in them and are crazy popular here.

Any certain connections to check vs others? Seems lots complain about the water heater/pump area if there is a leak. What else to check, tank holding areas and such?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Just the basic stuff, almost all of my kitchen and bathroom drains were loose, as were the kitchen water lines. I'd give everything you can reach a twist.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #7

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Welcome to the forum, Rob.

We can spend plenty of your money on mods, just tell us how much you want to spend.
Well I found the "show me your mods" thread and my bank account slapped me. It's going to take me a while to get this thing setup how I want it but there's some pretty smart people here with great ideas. I love customizing stuff to make it my own.

Got all the paperwork and stuff done today, plan is to pick the kids up from school and make the drive to go pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

I did get the famous sales line though, "we can't deal any better because we are already losing money.." Stopped her in her tracks and said you have a better shot of me buying being honest like we both have been up to this point, if your manager says no more dealing that's fine but don't tell me you have a losing business model. hahaha I still feel I got a great deal, it's just my nature to ask for a little more...
Old 05-26-2016, 12:46 AM   #8

North Dakota

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #9

Idaho
Here are some Mods I made in my 1900RBE Aspen Trail. Not sure how yours is laid out, http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...rbwe-3728.html

I also replaced the thermostat with a digital one from Lowe's for $25. Was a nice upgrade.
RickNTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #10

California
I had a vinyl l wrap company match the grey for the storage doors and entry door. Came out great and looks so much better. Just one of many mods.
Attached Images

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #11

North Dakota
I like the vinyl wrap idea, amazes me they wrap the whole thing and leave those as is. The thermostat is also on the list, the stock one is just too complicated and too many issues for what it had to do, I don't get it. What's the wiring like behind it compared to a house wiring?

Old 05-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #12

California
Quote:
I like the vinyl wrap idea, amazes me they wrap the whole thing and leave those as is. The thermostat is also on the list, the stock one is just too complicated and too many issues for what it had to do, I don't get it. What's the wiring like behind it compared to a house wiring?

Trailer is painted aluminum, doors are vinyl but come from the source in white. My thermostat had only two wires, as AC is controlled from the unit.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:02 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNTee View Post
I also replaced the thermostat with a digital one from Lowe's for $25. Was a nice upgrade.
That is the best $25 mod you can do. It will keep the temperature swings down to +-1 degree. The furnace or A/C will cycle a little more, but run less over all.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:

Try this, RV Digital Thermostat Upgrade | ModMyRV

It really is quite easy, you just have to take your time.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:16 PM   #15

Montana
My 2710 came with a digital thermostat already. I wonder if they went back to analog to save a few bucks?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
My 2710 came with a digital thermostat already. I wonder if they went back to analog to save a few bucks?
Or yours had a "optional package" added.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:52 PM   #17

Montana
Ahh... That sounds familiar. I think you're right. I also got stainless steel sink and faucet that think was part of that package.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:16 AM   #18

North Dakota
Mine has a digital but depending on how you set it he told me you could "hang" the fan on full time. I would rather have something simple to use that I don't have to leave instructions for the wife. It's just not a very user friendly digital design, co soldering how cheap you can buy a quality one at a hardware store it makes me wonder what they paid for the one in my camper. I'll take a pic later of it.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:56 AM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Mine has a digital but depending on how you set it he told me you could "hang" the fan on full time. I would rather have something simple to use that I don't have to leave instructions for the wife. It's just not a very user friendly digital design, co soldering how cheap you can buy a quality one at a hardware store it makes me wonder what they paid for the one in my camper. I'll take a pic later of it.

Very easy to use, set the desired temperature and one flip switch for heat of cooling.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:20 AM   #20

North Dakota