Propane Tank change - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2016, 03:03 AM   #1

Oregon
Propane Tank change

I have a Coleman 16fsb. The wife worries about running out of propane with the 20lber that came with the trailer. I am thinking of replacing it with a 40lb tank to give her peace of mind. Has anyone swapped out tanks like this, is it that easy?

Crashogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
The swap is pretty easy, you might need a longer hose. I considered switching to a double tank set up on mine, that way you can pull the empty and fill it while running off the other one. That would require a new dual tank regulator and a couple of hoses, not a major project. All the single 40# tank does is let you go longer before you run out.

One concern of mine is the added tongue weight, the little Coleman is a bit tongue heavy to start with, by adding more weight you are getting above the recommended 10%-15% range.

I considered aluminum tanks $$$, and the composite tanks, also pretty pricey but would allow more LP for less tank weight. In the end I just ended up carrying a second tank in a milk crate in the back of the truck.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #3

Florida
I also have a 16 FSB, I also carry an extra 20 pound tank in a milk crate, I also use the extra tank to use for my grill and Coleman stove etc. a 20 lb tank will last for a long time and only takes a few minutes to change.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #4

Oregon
Thanks, I appreciate the advise. I'm not too worried about running out as I figure if we are going somewhere where I wouldn't be able to get a refill too easily, I just make sure its full before leave. But then again if mamma ain't happy...
Old 02-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Usually a 20# tank will last several months in the warmer season. I don't use the inside stove, just the fridge. In the colder months when I am running the furnace it can get used up in less than a week. I use the one in the milk crate for running my stove, lantern and Camp Chef oven. I have run the one in the milk crate empty more than once and had to pull the once off the camper. The answer to that was to get a third tank and another milk crate.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #6

California
The problem with propane tanks no matter how many you have is they run out at the most inopportune times.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #7

Florida
I recommend using two 20# tanks with an automatic transfer valve. Those can be swapped at numerous locations. if you are really afraid of running out, buy a spare.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:04 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
The swap is pretty easy, you might need a longer hose. I considered switching to a double tank set up on mine, that way you can pull the empty and fill it while running off the other one. That would require a new dual tank regulator and a couple of hoses, not a major project. All the single 40# tank does is let you go longer before you run out.

One concern of mine is the added tongue weight, the little Coleman is a bit tongue heavy to start with, by adding more weight you are getting above the recommended 10%-15% range.

I considered aluminum tanks $$$, and the composite tanks, also pretty pricey but would allow more LP for less tank weight. In the end I just ended up carrying a second tank in a milk crate in the back of the truck.

Aaron
I did this with our 16 foot TT, Bought the tank at Lowes (US made Not China Junk). Now on new rig have two of the smaller so at this point no need to change.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:55 AM   #9

Oregon
The wife decided she liked the logic of 2 20lb tanks and being able to fill one while using the other. So thats what we will do. Thanks for all the help.

2015 Coleman CM16FBS
2001 Chevrolet Suburban 2500
Old 03-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #10

Colorado
If you're going to be upgrading...might look at these:

RV & Camping | Viking Cylinders | Viking Cylinders

Apparently you can see the actual level in the tank to know where you are.

We have a Voltage 3800 spent a month in Arizona, about half in Sedona...and had to switch 30lb tanks the last day. So it may be that at tank you can see the level in will do.

Just thoughts,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #11

Florida
Thanks for letting us know your decision. Many people seek our advice and we never hear back from them.

Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote