Problems with dutchmen kodiak - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #1

Alabama
Problems with dutchmen kodiak

I purchased a Dutchmen Kodiak 242RESL January 9,2013 and as of this posting it has been at the factory since May 5,2014 for warranty repair. The repairs needed are 1) Replace the passenger side wall due to cracks in the high gloss fiberglass siding. 2) Repair the bedroom ceiling which fell down. 3) Repair the A/C ducts which are falling apart and the blower inlet and outlet box (made of foil tape) which is allowing blower outlet air to return directly to the blower intake. 4) The dinette lounge seating support structure was built so poorly that it tore open the cushion bottoms and will have to be rebuilt.
I suppose I should have expected more problems when I found the exterior tv coaxial connector labeled "city water connection"
I wonder where QC was when this unit left the factory ?
I will update this post when the trailer is repaired or replaced.

hardpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardpatch View Post
I purchased a Dutchmen Kodiak 242RESL January 9,2013 and as of this posting it has been at the factory since May 5,2014 for warranty repair. The repairs needed are 1) Replace the passenger side wall due to cracks in the high gloss fiberglass siding. 2) Repair the bedroom ceiling which fell down. 3) Repair the A/C ducts which are falling apart and the blower inlet and outlet box (made of foil tape) which is allowing blower outlet air to return directly to the blower intake. 4) The dinette lounge seating support structure was built so poorly that it tore open the cushion bottoms and will have to be rebuilt.
I suppose I should have expected more problems when I found the exterior tv coaxial connector labeled "city water connection"
I wonder where QC was when this unit left the factory ?
I will update this post when the trailer is repaired or replaced.
Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about all the problems you are having, but you will find it is a common theme on this forum.

Were was QC? What QC, if there was a QC department that was doing it's job 90% of the problems encountered by the consumer would be caught before they go out the door.

Another common theme on this forum is that people get frustrated with having to go back to the dealer and have their rigs out of service for weeks or months, they do their own repairs.
Thor Industries probably counts on this and when they do have to do any warranty work, they have that covered in the price we pay.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
I don't know of ANY RV being made that doesn't seem to have QC issues... sad part is it has been going on for years. I tore down a 1975 Airstream and found some bad QC on that unit too.

We just purchased a Coleman CTM16FBS, it went back for warranty work because the sidewall air conditioner was installed incorrectly, and was creating a potential leak into the wall. We are lucky in that the dealer is jumping right on it and we should have the camper back tomorrow (3 day turn around). I would have fixed it but my wife wouldn't let me. "Brand new camper... etc, etc."

Warranties are not written to protect the consumer/end user they are to protect the manufacturer.

Look at the massive GM recall.....

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Hut

North Carolina
I have been waiting since last October on warranty work to be done on the same unit you have. Front cap and one panel on the slide were delaminating. I was just told the plant is going to shut down next week for several days. Meanwhile, my unit has been sitting in the dealership bay torn apart to where I can't even go back and get it.

A guy a "owner relations" just tells me how sorry he is about the situation, but I cannot get any further. Emails sent to them do not even get a reply....

I have never in my life been so frustrated with a manufacturer. But there seems to be absolutely no recourse. I just threatened them with a law suite. We'll see what happens.
Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:49 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
What kind of siding? Mine has the corrugated stuff, it can't delaminate to the best of my knowledge. I have seen one too many of the smooth sided fiberglass trailers delaminate to really trust the stuff. I would expect some delamination on an older unit but not one that was brand new.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:05 AM   #6

Alabama
HUT I understand your frustration. I wonder how many other Kodiak owners are out there with similar problems. I would think Dutchmen would try and get ahead of this problem and not follow the GM example.
Is your unit being repaired by the dealer or the factory?
Good luck Hardpatch
Old 06-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #7
Hut

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
What kind of siding? Mine has the corrugated stuff, it can't delaminate to the best of my knowledge. I have seen one too many of the smooth sided fiberglass trailers delaminate to really trust the stuff. I would expect some delamination on an older unit but not one that was brand new.

Aaron
If you have aluminum siding, then you have actual studs and insulation in the wall.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
Hut

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardpatch View Post
HUT I understand your frustration. I wonder how many other Kodiak owners are out there with similar problems. I would think Dutchmen would try and get ahead of this problem and not follow the GM example.
Is your unit being repaired by the dealer or the factory?
Good luck Hardpatch
It's at the dealer taking up a bay.... I just got a tracking number from UPS today saying the part should arrive this Thursday. Dealer said it would only take 1.5 days to get it completed.

Dealer also said they're backing away from Dutchmen products because of this happening over and again. We love the unit; I just hope the skin doesn't give me problems in the future. The rest of the issues I can fix myself.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:46 AM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hut View Post
It's at the dealer taking up a bay.... I just got a tracking number from UPS today saying the part should arrive this Thursday. Dealer said it would only take 1.5 days to get it completed.

Dealer also said they're backing away from Dutchmen products because of this happening over and again. We love the unit; I just hope the skin doesn't give me problems in the future. The rest of the issues I can fix myself.
That's got to say a lot when a dealer dumps a brand.

Sounds like a dealer that takes pride in his business and his reputation.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
Hut

North Carolina
Well, I got her back today. At least she's home....
Old 07-04-2014, 04:23 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hut View Post
Well, I got her back today. At least she's home....
I hope it everything has been repaired and you can get out and enjoy it.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:56 AM   #12

Quebec
I hava a new 300BHSL. So far (not very far ) no problems. Yes, there are cosmetic defects here and there. I wonder how Dutchmen's employees have no pride in their work. If the Japaneese would get into this market, they would win it by far just like they did in the automotive industry in the 80's for the same reasons. Quality matters.
frelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by frelay View Post
I hava a new 300BHSL. So far (not very far ) no problems. Yes, there are cosmetic defects here and there. I wonder how Dutchmen's employees have no pride in their work. If the Japaneese would get into this market, they would win it by far just like they did in the automotive industry in the 80's for the same reasons. Quality matters.
Exactly why we get the crap that we do coming out of the RV industry in NA. The Japanese automakers improved the quality of their products and gained market share, this made the Big 3 sit up and take notice.

Sure would be nice to see the same thing happen in the NA RV industry.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #14

Wisconsin
The bracket that holds the entry door open on my new Kodiak 186 was screwed into the fiberglass only! There is no wood behind the fiberglass for the screws. The four screws pulled out with minimal effort. Talk about QC!
Howard10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:11 PM   #15

Alabama
My Kodiak is a junk pile on wheels.

After many trips to the dealer for repair and two months at the factory for major work my Kodiak continues to fall apart.
I have no confidence in its structural integrity and would warn anyone not to purchase a Kodiak.