Part time summer living in the desert - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2014, 11:17 PM   #1

Utah
Part time summer living in the desert

I have a 2013 Denali 287RE that we really enjoy. We are considering leaving it set up in an RV resort in Mesquite, NV where is can get over 100 degrees plus in the summer months. Since we will only be using and opening it up every two weeks or so, would appreciate any do's, dont's or lessons learned for hot summer partial storage.

western home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #2

Arizona
Subscribed.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #3

New Jersey
You could leave the AC on with the thermostat bumped up. I'd be nervous about leaving the AC on for extended periods with no one there. If you pay for electricity, it could get expensive.

What I would do is mount a thermostat controlled high end fan, for example a Fan-Tastic Vent to come on and vent the unit. You can either put covers over them in case it rains, or get the ones with the rain sensors. We have one in the bathroom and another in the garage. Ideally, you'd want them set to vent out to pull the hot air from the top of the RV. This means you need to leave a way for air to enter the RV. You could set one to in, and one to out but I don't think you will get enough airflow without opening a window.

Other concerns are what you are storing in the RV, and how it will handle extreme heat. Will you be leaving the refrigerator on? That would create separate challenges.The refrigerator would have to work pretty hard in the heat.

Obviously, if you can park the RV in the shade, that would make a big difference in the inside temperature.
pdonoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #4

Wisconsin
I'd be concerned about leaving anything running in the unit while you're gone, from A/C to rain-sensing vents. Anything that draws electricity, unattended for long periods of time, could malfunction, short-circuit, and you've got ultra-serious problems on your hands. I'd go with a whole-unit cover and leave windows open slightly to allow heated, interior air to vent.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by western home View Post
I have a 2013 Denali 287RE that we really enjoy. We are considering leaving it set up in an RV resort in Mesquite, NV where is can get over 100 degrees plus in the summer months. Since we will only be using and opening it up every two weeks or so, would appreciate any do's, dont's or lessons learned for hot summer partial storage.
Do you have anyone that could turn on your AC and refrigerator on a couple of days before you intend to use the trailer?
Old 03-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

Arizona
Living here in the hot desert one thing we do is leave a big bucket of water in the trailer to add humidity to the air to keep the wood from drying out. Another thing I do is keep the trailer plugged in to shore power to keep the refrigerator cold. I just do that because we never know when we might want to go camping. One other consideration is to put a cover over the trailer. I use the ADCO and it keeps the sun from cooking off your decals, etc. Oh, and keep your tires covered for the same reason. There's not much else I do.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
One other consideration is to put a cover over the trailer. I use the ADCO and it keeps the sun from cooking off your decals, etc. Oh, and keep your tires covered for the same reason. There's not much else I do.
I keep my tires covered, but putting a huge bulky cover on a trailer seems to me to be a lot of hassle. With my luck I'd be up there messing with it and the wind would come up and............wheeeeee..............ouch!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #8

Missouri
If yours came with the prewired bedroom A/C (Included with the 50 AMP service on the 2014 models, not sure about the 2013) I would definitely get the front A/C. It gets pretty hot out there.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote