Owner of a new Aspen Trail 2710BH - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #1

Montana
Owner of a new Aspen Trail 2710BH

I'm happy to see there is a Dutchmen forum, I hope there is some traffic on the site to generate discussion!
We are the proud owners of a new 2012 Aspen Trail 2710BH. We are thrilled with the new purchase, but unfortunately we won't be camping until spring so we have at least 4-5 more months of anticipation. Without any actual trips on it, it is not possible to give a good review yet. I hope there are others who could chime in. Here are our opinions so far. I fully expect to expand on the Pros, but we have to actually get out and use it first!
Pros:
-Private bedroom for mom and dad!
-Nice bunk beds.
-Relatively lightweight for what is a huge travel to trailer to us.
-Skylight in main area for brightness. Our old camper was dark inside even during mid day.
-Oven
-Huge upgrade in water tank capacities for us.
-Stainless steel sink with sprayer faucet.
-Lots of lights

Cons:
-Definitely some "cheapness" to some of the build. Drawers missing screws, window shades falling off due to bent hangers, some trim already coming apart.
-No bathroom fan or vent!! I will have one installed first thing this spring, probably before we ever take it out.
-No outdoor shower with hot water. It does have an outdoor sprayer, but some hot water would be nice.
-No ladder to access top bunk bed.
-Entry steps should be a triple rather than a double step. I'm sure we'll pick up a small stool to use as a bottom step because it is high off the ground.
-The DVD player was not hooked up to the TV and to hook it up I had to remove the stereo from the wall to access the hookups in the rear. Then there is no access for the RCA cable to route to the TV, so I had to use a hole saw to create a hole. Then the provided RCA cables were defective and the picture quality was terrible. I replaced them with a different set at now it works fine.
-The DVD player only plays sound through the stereo. It would be nice to have the option of playing sound through the TV. I have never heard of a DVD player that does not output audio.
-The DVD player should also have a higher quality hook up than RCA cables. S-video at a minimum and component cables ideally. Why spec an HD flat screen TV and then hook the DVD player up to it with outdated inferior technology?
-Only one 12V plug that is inconveniently located behind the TV. I don't understand why travel trailers don't provide more 12V outlets in the interior. Our truck has 4 outlets, why do campers seem to only have 1?! Maybe it is my dry camping mentality which is what we almost exclusively do. I have purchased a generator, so maybe this will change my attitude about wanting more 12V outlets.

Hooked up ready to take it home.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Community Founder

Re: Owner of a new Aspen Trail 2710BH

Thanks for posting the review, Ed. It may help others.

Come this spring, when you do the mods, don't forget to posts then in the Mods section.

eRVm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #3

Our first trip in our 2012 Kodiak 200QB, the RCA jack, one has broken off. Not sure how to re-route a new one, cannot see where I can easily get to the back of the DVD or thr routing through the wall?

Thinking of trying to splice on a new conector, to existing routed cable?

I agree, the cable and sound through DVD/speaker systems, seems a little weak.

Any advice on how you routed another cable?

Thanks,
Mark

Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 AM   #4

Montana
I just drilled a hole under the compartment where the DVD player is. I think it was a 1 1/4" hole. I had to pull the stereo system out to access the back. It just took a screwdriver.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #5

Tackled changing out our RCA cord, the stock one is VERY cheap.

Pulled our DVD/CD player, taped the new cord to old and fished it through the hole and wall, took a little time, with the holes small and going through one brace we could not see. But successfully did it.

Sure RV place would of charged a prety penny.

Later,
Markiemark
Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
Community Founder

Glad you've got it changed out.
There's no telling what the dealer would have charged your.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #7

Montana

Just today I discovered that the spare tire is not the same size. The tt tires are 205/75r14 and the spare is a 205/75r15.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #8

Montana
Waiting for spring

Here are my boys and I waiting for spring to arrive!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
Community Founder

Nice shot. Thanks for posting.

Hope your winter isn't too harsh.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #10

California

Great photo! Your kids are so small, so cute! Spring is around the corner! Hope you'll be out there soon!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #11

Pennsylvania
just bought a 2014 aspen 1900

i just bought this to pretty much live outa for work.. havent picked it up yet but all i een to find is bad stuff about it . although it seemed like a really nice trailer. for my first one. i also purchased the 7 year warrenty along with it fro an extra 1000 . is it really that bad of a trailer? adn i gonna have alot of problems? what shoudl i expect? do you think they worked out alot of the bugs buy now? is there a recalls or lemon laws on these things like cars have?
squirrel4207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #12

Montana
We have the 2710 BH. We are near the end of the 2nd summer of weekend warrior type use. We have not had to have any warranty work done. Sure, there have been a number of little things indicative of lax QA/QC such as loose screws or mis-aligned trims. But no real show stoppers. YMMV. The only warranty claim was that the spare tire was not the same diameter as tires in use, so they provided a new spare of the right size for free under warranty. Remember that online reviews and comments tend to be heavily biased on negative experience.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:32 AM   #13

Pennsylvania
remember a lot of the cheapening is done in the name of keeping these trailers light and half ton towable

warwagon98xj is offline   Reply With Quote