Noob - First trip experience! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #1

Utah
Noob - First trip experience!

Took our first trip this weekend. We went just about 20 miles away to a lake that had a pull through spot. We have a Denali 287RE, which is 36 feet long. Since it was our first trip, we would do a pull through close to home, next to a restroom and shower, so we could check everything out.

Trip and set up was pretty uneventful! Hook up the water supply to the "city water" hookup, (yes I have a pressure regulator) turn the water on and water starts shooting out at the trailer connection. Disconnect and reconnect, and get the same result. Think ok, that's something I will have to let the dealer look at. So i fill the holding tank. Turn on the water pump, and my daughter starts yelling that there is water shooting out the side of the trailer! Turn off the pump, and the water stops. Turn on the pump, and it starts again. Hmmm, did I just break something hooking up the city water? Call the 24 hour help line. Technician asks me to get access to to back side of inlet. I remove cover from under bathroom sink, and there is water EVERYWHERE. Technician asks me to connect city water again and turn it on th see where water is coming from. We turn on the water, and it is coming in from around the outside of the connection. He said that is good, because it is not coming from the connection inside! He said the valve that should close when the water pump is on, is not closing, and the dealer will have to replace it. He also tells me to check the washer on the city water inlet. Asks if there is anything else he can help me with, and tells me to have a great day. I think to myself, "Yeah, a great day with no running water!!!!"

So I clean up all the water that has now accumulated under the sink. I go out side to check the washer on the city water inlet. It is not there! Mean while, I start poking at the valve on the inlet. I kept poking at it repeatedly until it felt like it was in place. Hmmm. I put a hose washer at the city water inlet, connect the hose and guess what? No leak outside! Run back inside. No new water inside! That was easy. Disconnect the hose, turn on the water pump and guess what? No leak!

ebaeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
Not a great start, but gtlad you took care of it and had water. I find it amazing the dealer didn't check the water. I know ours checked both city and tank water. Hope it was a good time after that issue.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote