New unit - first water heater use - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2022, 03:04 PM   #1

Colorado
New unit - first water heater use

So... How do I start to use my water heater?

I am hooked up to shore power and city water. I have dewinterized an put the anode tube in and turned on my propane.

The water is still cold after a couple minutes. Is there a pilot light? A button?

Thanks for your time and help!

MajorSargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:15 PM   #2

Florida
Is there a switch in your control panel for the hot water heater? Should be one for electric and one for gas. When using the hot water heater, I recommend turning the gas switch on in addition to the electric. Gives you more hot water quicker. Make sure you turn off the gas switch after the shower.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:02 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Frank's advice is good.

Water heating takes time. A minute or two is not enough.

Gas heat is faster to warm up than electric. Both gas and electric can be "ON" at the same time for fastest time.

Electric requires shore power or generator.
There is a circuit breaker on the main panel dedicated to the electric water heater. It must be "on".
There is a switch on the wall panel labeled "electric". It must be "ON".
There may be a switch on the back of the water heater. If so, it must be "ON".

Both electric and gas water heating requires 12 volt to be "ON" to power controls.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:38 PM   #4

Montana
If you've just de-winterized, make sure your water heater tank bypass valves are in the correct position. Once in the correct position, the tank needs to be filled with water. If hooked to city water, just open a hot water tap until water begins to come out. If using your onboard tank, turn on your water pump and then open a hot water tap. It will take a couple minutes to fill. If your tank is bypassed, you'll get water almost immediately because the water circuit is bypassing the tank. So if you're not sure of the status, you'll need to check the valves. You could also do a quick opening of the pressure relief valve on the back of the water heater, but if it IS full and you've heated it up, this could spray dangerous hot water so I don't recommend that unless you are positive that the water isn't hot.

You need to make sure the tank has filled before turning on any water heater elements/burners or risk burning them up.

Then follow advice as has already been given. When on gas, our tank takes about 20 minutes to heat up the water. A bit longer on electric. You can confirm if the gas burner is working by standing outside at the water heater access panel. The gas burner is relatively loud, you can't miss it. Electric is silent though, you'll just have to wait and see if water gets hot.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:09 AM   #5

Alabama
You may want to invest a few bucks and get stainless screens for the water heater and furnace exhaust ports. This helps prevent insect nests being built in them and causes ignition
problems.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new owner, propane, water heater