New owner,2020 Kodiak 178rb - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 08:49 PM   #1

Florida
New owner,2020 Kodiak 178rb

I bought a 2020 Kodlak 178rb, after 7 days (campgrounds only)everything is working properly,but(always a but)the problem was the fresh water tank,traveled from Connecticut to Hershey PA empty,then from Hershey to virginia fresh water tank full (52 gallons)when i got to the campground the low point drain was leaking, and some drops of water leaking from the foam around the drain valve,because of the insulation i can not see the fresh water tank,does anybody knows if it is ok to travel with a full tank or reinforcement is needed, thanks

lando51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #2

Florida
it should be fine to travel with water in your fresh water tank. Sounds like you may have a leak though.

As far as the reinforcement issue, it may be that the factory idiots didn't put the tank in right and secure it properly. We have had several folks here have issues with their black and gray tanks not being strapped in right. Nothing to say that your fresh tank is installed correctly.

Mine had some debris in it from the factory and needed to go to the service department for them to get it out.

I would definitely make a note and take pics of your issue and possible damage for warranty repair.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #3

Alabama
It depends whether you tank has an overflow or not. Could be just overflow. Filling the tank to travel adds a lot of weight. Which is unnecessary if you are going to hook up to water at the campground. I only travel with 15 gallons in my fresh tank.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:46 PM   #4

Washington
Same issue

I had a similar issue - traveling with about 20 gal of water and had the drain plug come out on the road! Found a new plug at the next larger town and bought 2! Put it in and wrapped plumbers tape around the threads and tightened - haven’t had any issues since! I would take the plug out and put some tape and tighten it really good!
TK on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #5

Texas
Tank-light travel

We also have the same rig; after 4K miles and 7 trips we haven’t had any issues except for the cheap stereo system. I also try to travel light with fresh water tank, carry about 15-20 gallons UNLESS we will be boondocking.
WeKampToLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:58 PM   #6

Florida
Thanks for your answers,Ive been living in the trailer for 15 days,other than the fresh water tank,the water heater does not work on electric,everything else is working,Well i hope it stays that way this is my house for next 3 months,until december 24,i am going to have full hookups,expecting a better ending for 2020,i just need an ok winter in Virginia,I think I am not asking to much of 2020
Old 09-06-2020, 06:06 PM   #7

Texas
Bought ours in Colorado after our old rig finally gave out; after we bought it we lived in ours from March 1st through July 1st in Colorado. No issues. Sorry to hear about your water heater; you are plugged in to 30amps right?
WeKampToLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeKampToLive View Post
Bought ours in Colorado after our old rig finally gave out; after we bought it we lived in ours from March 1st through July 1st in Colorado. No issues. Sorry to hear about your water heater; you are plugged in to 30amps right?
Yes,full hookups, 30amps,water,sewer,for the winter,as long as the water heater works on propane i think ill be ok.my plan is to fix it under warranty after the winter
Old 09-09-2020, 12:58 AM   #9

Wisconsin
I would not wait to apply for warranty fix. Keystone/Kodiak are not known for good customer service. Start now finish by end of winter.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
I would not wait to apply for warranty fix. Keystone/Kodiak are not known for good customer service. Start now finish by end of winter.
When i said end of winter,it is after december 24,but I understand what you means,start the claim now and maybe by the end of the winter they take care of the problem