New member help - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #1

Florida
New member help

As a new member and owner of a 2013 resl I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the material on your couches starting to peel off. We bought our very gently used unit just about a year ago and are very upset to see this happening. Thank you in advance for any information you might be able to share.

Keen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #2

Utah
Can you post a picture?

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum, Keen.

Is your sofa leather?

If it is leather, it's probably bonded leather. Bonded leather is a very thin layer of leather that has been glued to the foundation material. It's not as durable as "genuine" leather and seperation is a very common problem. The wide temperature swings that a camper goes through accelerates the problem.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #4

Florida
Sofa separating also

I'm having the same problem with my 2013. Does any one know if this is covered under the extended warranty? (LOL, I know)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-03 10.47.20.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	3541   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-03 10.47.37.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	3542   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-03 10.47.25.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	3543  
bankshot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankshot12 View Post
I'm having the same problem with my 2013. Does any one know if this is covered under the extended warranty? (LOL, I know)
That is very typical of a bonded leather failure. The finish on the top layer is breaking down and lifting.

The top layer is a very thin piece of leather called a split. The split, is really suede that has been processed to create smooth finish and replicate the top layer of the hide. The new finished layer is then bonded to the base layers, which can be anything from vinyl to a heavy fabric.

If you have any manufacturers literature on the chairs, you may find that they have a warranty on the finish layer, that goes beyond the campers warranty.

We didn't have that problem with our camper recliners, somebody else may have though. Mod one was remove the OEM chairs and put our Lazyboys in the camper. The Lazyboys are in their second camper now and must be getting close to 15 years old.

Lazyboys go on sale every few months and there are some really good deals to be had.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote