New (almost) Aspen Trail Owner - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2014, 12:37 AM   #1

Virginia
New (almost) Aspen Trail Owner

Hi,
I am just about to purchase a new 2014 Aspen Trail, model 2810 BHS. This would be my first Travel Trailer/RV. This will be for vacations with the kids and weekend trips. We've rented before and loved campground vacations.

Question regarding purchasing it. The salesperson told me something that seemed odd.
He said if I didn't buy the unit from his dealership, I basically couldn't use his service department, that service departments cater to customers who purchased with them. He didn't say this directly but strongly suggested it, saying that while I *could* get serviced at his shop, I would not get preferred treatment. It sounded like a sales tactic to me. What do you all think?

Also, I'm looking to find a good resource on how to maintain a Travel Trailer (basic Maintenance kind of thing). Any good books you suggest?

I'd like to develop a checklist of things to check each time I am ready to use the RV.
Thanks!
Mike

nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:11 AM   #2

Oklahoma
For those of us that full time it we rarely make it back to the selling dealer. I bought my 3800 in the Denver area and it is now in the shop in Tulsa. We know we won't get preferential treatment but that's the way it goes. We know the dealer will serve his clients first and then us. Some of the smarter dealers see us as potential new clients so we don't have to wait that long.
I think the salesmen is using scare tactics on you and you should pose your question to the GM of the place. If that is his stand also it might be a good idea to move on down the street.
Salesmen WILL tell you almost anything to make a sale so take from it what you will.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 AM   #3

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
For those of us that full time it we rarely make it back to the selling dealer. I bought my 3800 in the Denver area and it is now in the shop in Tulsa. We know we won't get preferential treatment but that's the way it goes. We know the dealer will serve his clients first and then us. Some of the smarter dealers see us as potential new clients so we don't have to wait that long.
I think the salesmen is using scare tactics on you and you should pose your question to the GM of the place. If that is his stand also it might be a good idea to move on down the street.
Salesmen WILL tell you almost anything to make a sale so take from it what you will.
Well said

There is an app for smart phones (RVChecklist)

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #4

Virginia
Thanks for the reply sundancer.
I'll check out that App eightydo.
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #5

Colorado
It's a "sales tactic" I think as well. When we brought ours back for a leaky toilet valve a week after we bought it they turned it around in one day. That was great, glad we bought it there I thought to myself. Then I had to bring it back 2 more times (the 2014 camper was only 6 months old), they said they were way backed up and could not get me in for 3-4 weeks both times.
Clearly my "preferred" treatment only applied to the first visit.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

Colorado
We camped last summer in a campground near Austin, TX and I checked on having something done. It was minor but none the less something we thought we wanted. A dealership told me 2-3 weeks. Well, we weren't planning on being there that long so I called a mobile RV guy. He was priced the same as the dealer and could have been out the next day with the needed part and ready to install.

Guess my point is that dealers are not everything, that there are other sources. The mobile guy there could actually do warranty work for several brands.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #7

British Columbia
Hi, Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

I for one never take a vehicle back to the selling dealer, even when it comes to warranty work if there is another dealer close by I go to them.

If I come across something that I can not do my self, I go to my local little guy.

Check around your area, you probably have a few smaller RV repair shops. I find that I get better service from the little guys. Their labour rates are usually lower as well.

The first place to start to create a maintenance checklist is the Owners Manual. It will give you a list of items that need to be checked and the service intervals.

If you PM me with your Email address, I can send you copies of some checklists that I have, some of the are out there in cyber space and some are my own personal creations.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:38 AM   #8

Maryland
We bought the same trailer back in August. I just returned mine for Warranty work. Its a 3.5 hour trip to the dealership I bought it from but they were the only one that would guarantee I would have it back before May. All dealers next to me said they were busy and understaffed so I took the trip back. One tip I can give you is check the roof rubber to make sure it is glued properly. I noticed in December that the rear right corner where the bathroom skylight on mine had came unsealed and was all bubbled up. Other than the roof problem we love the camper.
robeyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:18 AM   #9

New York
Enjoy you 2810BHS. The wife and I bought a 2013 last year and love it! I bought the extended 7 year bumper to bumper no deductible warranty with my selling dealer and I do use the dealer that I bought it from for service work. Actually its been there all winter...
ish315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:30 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
we love ours i just wish we would have got the tri fold sofa not the jacknife one
warwagon98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #11

Michigan
almost new aspen trailer

Thats my identicle TT that im having all the trouble with the drums.

bowtech251 is offline   Reply With Quote