Need opinions on major issues with new kodiak tt - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #1

North Carolina
Angry Need opinions on major issues with new kodiak tt

So we've had our Kodiak TT less than 2 years. Its the first RV we've owned and it seems we've had problem after problem. Just looking for advice, opinions...
After we purchased our TT, it was noticed there was major water damage to the back bedroom area. This had occurred before we purchased but wasnt discovered until immediately after. This was repaired by completely replacing bedroom cabinets/end cap etc. Since then the A/C has been replaced twice along with minor warranty issues. We purchased a moisture meter after the first major leak issue and have continued to check. Back In January in one of the corners by the back showed high levels. I had the roof checked etc and they said they seals a few places. Then in June of this year the 2nd A/C went out and it was replaced. We haven't moved the TT since then. We went out this weekend to get it ready to take camping this upcoming weekend (mainly checking the A/C) When we went in, the skylight was leaking all over the floor and the kitchen cabinets are now delaminating. We have experienced a lot of rain over the last month so I'm sure its done this each time. It appears the skylight has been pushed down because the screws on the end that's leaking are pulled out some. I think its from them being on the roof when the A/C was repaired. Also the carpet is wet from the leak...and while looking at that I noticed there is pimpling on the wallpaper in the area I told them to check in January. AND on top of all that the back window in the bedroom has brown stains running down the wall which was our first indicator that something was wrong when we first bought the camper. Of course now our TT is out of warranty.....But saying that we are taking it in and we will see what they say. I'm just completely frustrated. We have used this new camper 6 times in less than 2 years and its been in the shop multiple times. I'm just looking for experienced campers opinions/recommendations as to what action to take/ etc. Thanks in advance!

mooretcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #2

New York
Was it brand new when you bought it? Trailer Life magazine has a column for things like this, might be worth a try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #3

North Carolina
Yes it was. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #4

New York
Since the problem began under the warranty period, it should extend beyond it as long as it was documented. Roof warranties are usually longer too if its a roof issue. Sounds like you definitely got a lemon though

Tackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #5

Tennessee
I would have demanded a full refund/exchange after the first incident. Unless you have the best dealer in the world, they will fight you to the death to fix anything after 2 years. They're gonna blame you for every bad spot they find on the roof.

If you have a strong resolve and are tenacious, you may be ok, it takes a special kind of commitment to deal with these people. Good luck!

FTR, the roof should be warrantied for 10 years, but if they find one tiny crack in any caulk joint, they will blame you for not properly maintaining it.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #6

Florida
Roof leaks

Sorry to hear about your damage and leaks to your travel trailer. I bought a used Dutchman it was 5 years old then. It had a soft spot in the roof where the front cap meets the roof. The last owner either stepped on the transition which is just a piece of cheap Luna board or hit a low branch? It also a 1 inch tear on the edge near the refrigerator vent. The last owner did no maintenance to the roof other than to put a 4 inch piece of eternabond tape across the front seam. The camper was not leaking at the time of purchase. I cleaned the roof with TPO rubber roof cleaner. Cleaned all Caulking around all roof penetrations shower sky-light, vents, TV antenna with Eternabond cleaner. I also cleaned the front and back seams where the roof and walls meet. I then primed all the areas with Eternabond primer. I the put down the 4" eternabond tape over all the caulk seams and the front again and back seams. I live in South Florida we get more rain down here in 1 month than most other parts of the country get in 1 year! I also installed a slide topper on the slide out. So far No leaks and I do not have to recaulk every year with that nasty Dicor caulk.
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #7

Florida
more info.

I also installed Maxxair vents on front and back vents. We drove through the nastiest rain storm I have ever been in outside of Birmingham Alabama about 3 weeks ago had no leaks!! Just do what I did and you should be fine. Also get a electric surge protector before you plug into camp sites. Most campgrounds have low voltage which will fry your RV electric. Hope this helps good luck.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #8

North Carolina
Thank you all for your responses/suggestions! We are taking it in tomorrow and I'll let you know what they say.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #9

North Carolina
Dealer Response

So the dealer of course is not taking responsibility but is going to repair. They stated the skylight was cracked and leaking due to sun/heat exposure not their technician stepping on it. Also the pimpling they said was from glue responding to humidity etc. They told me before it was from water damage (prev damage when purchased). They assure me that it is solid with no damage even though my moisture reader is showing high moisture. The bedroom window that had signs of water damage. They said it was bad seal but this was the first sign we found after we bought it. They are repairing it all as customer goodwill but are saying its all normal wear/sun exposure etc. Please tell me if this is normal. We've never had a RV before but I just can't imagine a new TT being this much trouble and having so many leaks. We had the roof inspected and fixed as needed in January. After we get it back, we will work on sealing as per suggested. Any comments/responses/suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old 08-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #10

Texas
I don't think there is a "normal" in the industry other than "every single unit is unique".

What I mean by that is one fella on the assembly line might pickup the correct tube of sealant and lay down a masterful bead for your bedroom window. And that window may perform brilliantly for a decade.

But the fella on the other side of the line grabbed the wrong tube (it's his second day on the job) and totally blow it on your kitchen window. That window might leak during the rain while the unit is being delivered from Indiana to your dealer in Florida.

That is "normal", I'm afraid.

The good news is that it is ALL fixable, with varying degrees of patience and tenacity. So the RV can deliver you to some magical sunset regardless!
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
Was it brand new when you bought it? Trailer Life magazine has a column for things like this, might be worth a try.

keep this handy, it's good advice!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #12

North Carolina
Thank you! I'm afraid I'll need it!
Old 08-28-2017, 11:55 PM   #13

Florida
TT repair

Now is the time to learn to do your own repairs and do this stuff yourself. The dealers will put a big dent in anyone's budget even if you are a retired millionaire with a class A Tiffany!! You better have deep pockets.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:37 PM   #14

Tennessee
I would sell that thing the second I got it back and start over. Or tell the dealer you should get top trade in value because it's just normal wear and tear.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #15

North Carolina
Update

Getting TT back today hopefully. The only thing they didn't fix was the cabinet water damage. We thought it would be a quick trim fix but they said the entire cabinet had to be removed and fixed. Estimate was $1800 which is crazy. Does anyone know if that's true? I cant imagine them not being able to replace/fix small piece.

I'm afraid to keep the TT but really not sure if we want another TT or upgrade to 5th wheel/motor home of some sort. Husband is getting back into racing and really need to get something we can use for that if we are changing. I think we will use the tape and keep an eye on things more closely.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #16

North Carolina
Photo attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170822_174231 (1).jpg
Views:	319
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	4426  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #17

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooretcp View Post
Photo attached

Is the wood soft, starting to rot or is it just cosmetic?

Don't loose that address for Trailer Life Magazine!

and document, document, document.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #18

North Carolina
This is only cosmetic. I am definitely documenting but seems like not much I can do. I know anything further is going to be left to us to repair or a major fight. I'm just trying to make sure we do our part as far as upkeep etc.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #19

North Carolina
We got the TT back this week. The cabinet looks worse with white mildew/mold on it. Also smaller side cabinet has it all over the bottom of it. I'm sure its from the carpet getting wet but that's also the corner that shows moisture with the moisture reader. We were told "humidity" can cause that but I first noticed it and they checked it in January. They didn't even bother to try to clean it up or the dark water lines from the bedroom window. You would think they'd at least try to make it look better. I sent a very direct email to the general manager of the dealership that I have been dealing with. So first of the week we will have some conversations.

I just don't know if I should demand a fair trade in on a new one or just deal with this one. I feel like they are not going to be willing to repair anything else. If this were just minor cosmetic issues, then okay but I'm worried the damage is major and we just don't know it yet. Help!! I know most of you are experienced owners.....just don't want to let another issue go and end up having to pay thousands for something.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #20

Tennessee
I would ditch that thing asap. Maybe they would give you a decent price on a trade, it doesn't hurt to ask.