Need help with my 2008 Aerolite Cub 214 Water Heater - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2022, 07:55 AM   #1

Colorado
Need help with my 2008 Aerolite Cub 214 Water Heater

Hello,
My name is Ron and I'm in Colorado. So here's the deal. The Mrs. and I bought a (new to us) new 2008 Aerolite Cub 214. Can someone tell me how to get my water heater turned on? all generic instructions online talks about a switch that needs to be turned on outside. However there's no switch to be found. My wife wont let us take the Cub out without figuring out the hot water situation. As a dude I can go without it and shower at the camp ground. But you know ladies and their hot water. I don't want to die on that hill. lol. Can someone please save me from the peril? So I can go camping? Thank you.

Ronman303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:15 PM   #2

Florida
There should be a switch-maybe two for your heater in your main power panel. One should say electric and one may say gas. Don’t turn them on unless you have water in the tank. If you are boonedocking, use gas, for rv parks, use electric until you are using the shower, then turn on gas in addition to electric. When done, shut off gas.

Also, there may be a bypass for water for the heater. This is used when you are winterizing with antifreeze in order to not fill the hot water heater with antifreeze. That will be a valve on the back of your heater on the cold water input line.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #3

Colorado
Thank you for your reply

Is the main power panel located outside or inside the trailer?
Thanks
R

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
There should be a switch-maybe two for your heater in your main power panel. One should say electric and one may say gas. Don’t turn them on unless you have water in the tank. If you are boonedocking, use gas, for rv parks, use electric until you are using the shower, then turn on gas in addition to electric. When done, shut off gas.

Also, there may be a bypass for water for the heater. This is used when you are winterizing with antifreeze in order to not fill the hot water heater with antifreeze. That will be a valve on the back of your heater on the cold water input line.
Ronman303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:26 PM   #4

Wisconsin
The main control panel is inside the trailer. It is usually in an obvious and convenient location.

Some model water heaters also have a switch next to the water heater or in the water heater grill space. If it is not there, then it is not there. Post make and model of water heater for better advice.

The main power panel (circuit breaker panel) is usually in a less convenient place. It has circuit breakers and fuses inside a cover. The water heater circuit breaker must be "on" for the electric heater function. Gas water heating should work even when the circuit breaker is "off".

I always switch the water heater circuit breaker "off" when I drain the water heater. This prevents turning electric heat on accidentally.

Again, make sure there is water in the water heater before turning the electric on. The heating element will melt if not submerged in water. Open the over temp/pressure valve inside the heater grill area to test for water.

There may be a water heating bypass system to add in winterizing the plumbing. Make sure the valves are set to be in use. The valves are usually behind the water heater or close by.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:33 PM   #5

Wisconsin
My name is Ron and I'm in Colorado...

Since you are in Colorado now, you need to winterize the plumbing soon. Frozen pumps, valves, and pipes are a bad experience.

Different RV's have different winterizing procedures, but all are similar.

Some RV's can survive freezing if the furnace is running. Some will not. All will freeze without heat.

If the water heater has water in it, the water must be hot, or it will freeze.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:52 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Video of a Cub 214

That is the address of a video of a 2008 Cub 214. At the end of the video it shows your control panel which is on the end of the upper cabinet above the sink, on the left as you come in the door. The video isn't clear enough to tell which switches are which, but your water heater switches should be on that control panel. Heed the advice of the others and don't turn them on without water in your tank.

KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote