Need advice on Coleman Light LX 1705RB - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2021, 02:27 AM   #1

North Carolina
Need advice on Coleman Light LX 1705RB

My wife and I are looking to move up from a Coachmen Clipper 16B (small unit with bunk beds) to something slightly larger but with better seating (other than just uncomfortable dinette seating) and a full size bed. The Murphy bed/couch idea looks like it might solve this desire without going to a much longer unit. We'd like to stay very compact in size. We do a lot of dry camping or boon-docking.

We've never owned a Dutchman/Coleman and would like some feedback on the quality of the "brand' in general. Our Coachmen has been very reliable and pretty trouble free for the 2 years we have owned it (just got back from a 7300 mile trip from NC out to the mid-west NPs and back without a problem). We'd really like info on the Light LS 1705 RB specifically and the Murphy bed setup especially.

Thanks for your input.

Outsider

Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Many owners would recommend other brands than Dutchmen, Keystone, Kodiak, and Voltage. New trailers have poor odds on getting having a good experience. They are cheap. That is the only advantage. Advertising is often deceptive or miss leading.

If you want one of these, buy one that is two years since it was sold. The previous owner will have had most build and design issues corrected.

Cheap purchase price often does not translate into low cost of ownership.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Check out this post for report of good experience:

https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...html#post76875
Old 02-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #4

California
My first trailer was a 2006 23 foot Coachmen that I bought about a year used. I honestly don’t think I ever had an issue with in the 5 years I owned it which can’t be true but it sure feels that way.

Second trailer was a bumper tow TH from Sandstorm. Looked nice but introduced me to shoddy workmanship and cheap materials. Toilet clogged all the time, d-ring tie downs bent and pulled out.

I then “upgraded” to my Voltage. This one has far more problems than the last one. The good news is I feel like I have it mostly sorted out now but suspension issues are borderline criminal in the lack of ability to support this heavy TH.

Tires were crap, fuel gauge for generator and fuel caddy required three repairs, lots of molding and trim pieces just fall off so I re-glued them all. Fridge installed incorrectly with pockets to trap hot air and insulation tape blocking the fan so my fridge was not effective during the day. Wardrobe slide motor ripped off the wall as it was held in place by screwing the motor into wood with small wood screw (built a metal bracket and installed on that) kitchen slide motor ground the gears off so that had to be replaced. Kitchen drawers do not stay closed during travel and scratched up the stainless fridge (I now put pool noodles over the handles). Just replaced the vent covers last weekend as they literally broke apart from sun exposure I guess. Also spent a few hundred bucks for new decals on the side that faces south when I park it. That is probably on me for storing it outside but would be nice if you could get more than 3 years on vinyl decals designed to go on then outside of the trailer. Fresh water holding tank gauge doesn’t always work and will read empty often even when full (common problem on black and grey tanks but haven’t met anyone who has it on the fresh tank).

On the positive it is now pretty dialed in, hasn’t leaked or had any major issues since the suspension and we use it year round every 3-6 weeks probably. Love the floor plan still and the garage fits my 4 seat RZR and two dirt bikes which is hard to find in a two axle TH.

I tend to agree with Persistent that buying used if you can find a clean one is the way to go as all the little crap will be fixed.

I think your coachmen is likely better quality but possibly they are all getting cheaper these days.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:03 PM   #5

North Carolina
Everyone, thanks for your input.

Persistent, I understand your comments about quality and price. You named a few that you feel are on the lower end of the quality scale, which brands are you more impressed with moving up the scale a little?

Outsider
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:12 PM   #6

Wisconsin
I have a Dutchman Kodiak Cub. It was a nightmare. Before that I had a Chalet "A" frame folding trailer. It also was poorly designed and built.

After much modification and repair I made both work the way I originally expected. I have no other first hand experience.

Check out this link for 3 year old information. Many new brands and models have been introduced.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...iler-7369.html
Old 03-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #7

California
Idea for née LX

We have the 2021 Coleman light lx 1855rb. We like it especially since it has a bump out. I am not a fan of the Murphy bed but may be because I and larger and go through the bed (although with mattress topper much better). We sleep 3 plus two fur babies comfortably.
jsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #8

Florida
I have a 2020 1705RB. No problems to date.
Helpful hints:
(1) Get rid of the junk "China Bomb" tires that come with the trailer! You'd think for the money the mfg. would install USA made tires. I put a set of Goodyear Endurance trailer tires on and it made a HUGE difference for the better with handling and safety factor.
(2) Get rid of the piece of junk manual thermostat for the heater. Temperature swings are all over the map! For $30 I got this from Amazon and it took all of 5 minutes to install & runs on 2 AAA batteries (I keep an extra set in trailer).
Honeywell TH1100DV1000
Piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:00 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
My wife and I are looking to move up from a Coachmen Clipper 16B (small unit with bunk beds) to something slightly larger but with better seating (other than just uncomfortable dinette seating) and a full size bed. The Murphy bed/couch idea looks like it might solve this desire without going to a much longer unit. We'd like to stay very compact in size. We do a lot of dry camping or boon-docking.

We've never owned a Dutchman/Coleman and would like some feedback on the quality of the "brand' in general. Our Coachmen has been very reliable and pretty trouble free for the 2 years we have owned it (just got back from a 7300 mile trip from NC out to the mid-west NPs and back without a problem). We'd really like info on the Light LS 1705 RB specifically and the Murphy bed setup especially.

Thanks for your input.

Outsider
Helpful hints:
(1) Get rid of the junk "China Bomb" tires that come with the trailer! You'd think for the money the mfg. would install USA made tires. I put a set of Goodyear Endurance trailer tires on and it made a HUGE difference for the better with handling and safety factor.
(2) Get rid of the piece of junk manual thermostat for the heater. Temperature swings are all over the map! For $30 I got this digital thermostat from Amazon and it took all of 5 minutes to install & runs on 2 AAA batteries (I keep an extra set in trailer).
Honeywell TH1100DV1000
Old 03-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #10

Montana
I own an Aspen trail 2710BH that I purchased new in 2011. We are the only owners of this unit. Nothing out of the ordinary has happened to it as far as mfg. The coroplast underliner had to be replaced after the original was damaged and ripped off during travel. IT came with the wrong sized spare tire which the dealer replaced. Tires were the Akuret Chinese model that everyone fears, but we used them until tread indicated they needed replacing and did so at Les Schwab. I think this was at 7 year mark? There are several little things with the interior trim where little things broke or were not mounted well. But this was to be expected. I always tell others who ask about campers that these things are not built by professional craftsman and carpenters like a home, they are cranked out on an assembly line. You can't expect the same attention to detail and quality. It is what it is...

I like this video for a tutorial. I'm not claiming it is good or bad or this is an example of whatever, it is just a neat vid on the process.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:45 PM   #11

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney View Post
Helpful hints:
(2) Get rid of the piece of junk manual thermostat for the heater. Temperature swings are all over the map! For $30 I got this digital thermostat from Amazon and it took all of 5 minutes to install & runs on 2 AAA batteries (I keep an extra set in trailer).
Honeywell TH1100DV1000
Hi Piney - I have a 2020 175bh cub. Really am liking most things on it, except the factory Suburban thermostat - see photo. Is this the same thermostat you replaced with the Honeywell th1100dv1000???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210307_1633438.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	6705  
(was 2014 4runner)
twertsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:35 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by twertsch View Post
Hi Piney - I have a 2020 175bh cub. Really am liking most things on it, except the factory Suburban thermostat - see photo. Is this the same thermostat you replaced with the Honeywell th1100dv1000???
That is not the thermostat. Here is the description and Amazon link for the thermostat. Hope this helps.

Honeywell TH1100DV1000 Non-programmable Heat only thermostat, white.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH1...6610748&sr=8-8

Old 03-24-2021, 06:36 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by twertsch View Post
No, I had a DOMETIC thermostat but it was the same two wire mechanical thermostat type as your Suburban
Old 03-24-2021, 06:47 PM   #14

Colorado
Sweet, thank you! The factory thermostat really sucks. I'll give this one a try
(was 2014 4runner)
Old 03-25-2021, 02:54 PM   #15

Colorado
Outsider, I've had my 175bh for a year now. Little trim things inside had to be fixed as ewarnerusa spoke of. And I had ( hopefully have now fixed) an issue with my Atwood hot water heater frying out the fuses and then not working. I've upgraded things for better performance - the bathroom fan and thermostat. Not that the original product didn't perform, rather I was looking for something better, more efficient . Big thing I learned - expect small things to need repairs (if you are handy you can do them yourself), and get your trailer from a dealership that has a good reputation of taking care of those big issues when they happen, because they will. Outside of that I've really enjoyed my Cub, it's easy to tow, easy to maneuver, and comfortable for me, my husband, and our two dogs (who get the bunkbed).
(was 2014 4runner)
Old 03-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #16

Colorado
Ref the Murphy bed- my father in law has a 24 foot Lance with a Murphy bed - he doesn't like it much. He bought it thinking he would have extra seating for guests, but found they all sit outside ( why wouldn't you!) And he never puts it back up. Says he might as well have gotten a bed for less. Mattress apparently sucked too, but so did mine and we have both replaced them.
(was 2014 4runner)
Old 04-26-2021, 12:30 PM   #17

Montana
Coleman's are essentially re-badged Aspen Trails. It appears they now have a few floorplans of their own not in the Aspen Trail line (Murphy bed being a distinguishing feature) but if you can look at both lines you will see what I mean. You better be handy as quality control on production lines, now in particular, are not good they are pumping them out so fast. I have an Aspen Trail 2340bh. All the core systems are working but lots of detail things to fix like no caulking around one of the exterior storage doors, dealer had to replace both rear lights and fix the underlayment along with fit and finish on the interior trim. So, about normal now days.. Oh, AND, they add a bit to the price to pay the licensing fees for the Coleman line vs Aspen Trail.

Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1705 rb, murphy bed