Mounting a roof ladder 21 Coleman Lantern 285 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2021, 09:03 PM   #1

Idaho
Mounting a roof ladder 21 Coleman Lantern 285

We have a Coleman Lantern 285 and want to mount a ladder on the back. Mostly to use the ladder for a mount for others things to use it as an actual ladder. But I can't figure out where any studs are to mount it to. Tried a stud finder on the outside, but the aluminum siding makes it not work. Any ideas how to figure out where studs are to mount it to.

kimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:45 PM   #2

Arizona
I can see the ladders used in the brochure for my Coleman. Find the brochure for your unit and see if that will help. It's going to be a guessing game unless you can find another exact unit like yours.

You will probably need to drill exploratory holes to find the exact mounting braces. Then you can fill those holes in that are not used.

Sad to say, Coachman had not responded to my request 3 years ago for technical information for my unit. Things like wiring schematics, ladder brace placement, etc..
Very poor customer relations in my opinion. Or should I say..." No customer relations"....

People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:47 PM   #3

Arkansas
Finding RV studs

They do make stud finders for metal. Don't know how good they are but might be worth taking a look at.

Good luck,
Bill
labill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #4

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by labill View Post
They do make stud finders for metal. Don't know how good they are but might be worth taking a look at.

Good luck,
Bill

I have what I think is a pretty good stud finder, but it does not work through the metal. I going to try going from the inside and then measure. Would be nice to at least figure out if the studs are horizontal or vertical and I have seen plans for both so far.
kimg is offline   Reply With Quote