More questions from newbie. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Florida
More questions from newbie.

Ok so I have the white hose. When I get to a camp site, I will plug my power in. Turn on the propane. And use the white water hose to supply water to the camper. Do I use the one that says city water on the side and it goes directly into the pipes? And the other water hose attachment fills the water tank so I have water if there is no water hook up? And then when using the tank I need to use my water pump.

Medic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #2

Florida
Also, how often do you do the flush for the black water tank. I have a plug in the back of the camper to spray out the black water tank.

Medic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic579 View Post
Ok so I have the white hose. When I get to a camp site, I will plug my power in. Turn on the propane. And use the white water hose to supply water to the camper. Do I use the one that says city water on the side and it goes directly into the pipes? And the other water hose attachment fills the water tank so I have water if there is no water hook up? And then when using the tank I need to use my water pump.
You got it.

As far as dumping the tanks, your going to mostly fill up the grey water before your black gets full. We capture much of the grey water we produce and use it to flush the toilet.

I like to have the black at least half full when I dump it, you need plenty of water to move the solids. My usual practice is to do a lap around the campground or drive to a public dump site, the solids get moving around and loosened up. Dump the black, then the grey to flush any thing that's left in the pipe.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I use the black tank rinse/flush every time I dump. Typically at home after a long weekend, or if we are on a site with sewer hookups. I use a clear elbow on my dump line so I can tell when my tank is REALLY cleaned out. I use the Sewer Solution water macerator to empty my tanks. I dump the black tank and when it is about done turn on my black tank flush (I use a wye in the water hose leading to the Sewer Solution and put a short hose up to my black tank flush). I know you aren't supposed to, but I also close the black valve to allow some water to build back up in the black tank. Then and only when I am getting clear water from the black tank do I dump my gray tanks. I am not convinced that just dumping the black tank gets its clean. I also use the Geo-Method to help keep the tanks clean. I don't use any other chemicals.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #5

Ontario
Nice, I had the same questions. May as well tag one more newbie question onto this thread. I've seen many of you mention that you use a clear elbow on the waste hose to determine when it's properly cleaned. It looks like they sell two types, an elbow that looks like it is attached to the end that goes into the dump tank and a straight clear piece that goes on the end attached to your dump valve. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to either types/ends?
WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlawnDon View Post
Nice, I had the same questions. May as well tag one more newbie question onto this thread. I've seen many of you mention that you use a clear elbow on the waste hose to determine when it's properly cleaned. It looks like they sell two types, an elbow that looks like it is attached to the end that goes into the dump tank and a straight clear piece that goes on the end attached to your dump valve. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to either types/ends?
I mount mine by the dump valve. On my Coleman I needed a straight extension to get it far enough out to get clearance for my Sewer Solution. On my current Concord moho I needed a 45° elbow to get the Sewer Solution to fit. I would think either one will work, just what works for you. I prefer to have the clear fitting at the vehicle end.

Aaron
Old 05-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #7

Illinois
Either one is fine. Like others, I try to wait till I'm half full in black before flushing. If I'm not half, I'll use the rinse plug to add until I am. (Be careful! You don't want to walk away or forget, or you'll have a heck of a mess!). Make sure when you hook up your city water, there is a regulator on the spigot, or put one on. Important. Too high of pressure and you'll blow your lines. They are only a few bucks at any camping store. The final test I learned here is that after flushing your tanks, put your bath exhaust fan on and flush the toilet. If you're clean, you shouldn't smell a thing. Good luck.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #8

Ontario
Cheers guys. I hope I'm lucky enough one day to be camping beside you folks. 1) You seem like good people and it would great meeting everyone and 2) I'd probably learn more in a weekend just by watching and asking questions as I would in years of trial and error.
WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #9

Florida
Simple answer is yes to each of your first three questions.

When the black is half-full, I allow the grey to get near full. Then dump the black first, leave black tank valve open, and dump the grey. Close both valves.

My new camper has a clean out connection but I never use it. Went 30 years and 3 other campers without one and never had a problem.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlawnDon View Post
Cheers guys. I hope I'm lucky enough one day to be camping beside you folks. 1) You seem like good people and it would great meeting everyone and 2) I'd probably learn more in a weekend just by watching and asking questions as I would in years of trial and error.
Been camping for over 45 years... still learning by trial and error.

Aaron
Old 05-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Aaron
Yep and they are the lessons that stick.

Don,

You got to make mistakes, if you never made a mistake, you won't have any tales to tell and laugh about around the campfire.

There are two types of mistakes you can do, you got the ones that are expensive to fix and you got the ones that are not to expensive to fix. I've been lucky all of mine have been the not so expensive to fix.

You need to get out west and do a little boondocking, there's nothing like waking up and stepping out on the top of a mountain.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:50 AM   #12

Nevada
hddecker, we were over your area last year, and found our way to the falls in Wellsgrey area, didn't have to much time, so would like to get back there someday....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:04 AM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
hddecker, we were over your area last year, and found our way to the falls in Wellsgrey area, didn't have to much time, so would like to get back there someday....
Rich,

You picked one of the good ones, Helmcken Falls is something. The Wells Gray Park is kind of bittersweet for me, 2 days before first trip to Wells Gray, my 9 1/2 year old Amstaff passed away in my arms. She was my one "good dog" that the cowboy code allows. If she had not come into my life when she did I probably would have had a heart attack or stroke.

There is some fantastic history in the area and some fantasic wildlife too. You can't find many places where you can camp beside a river and watch the bears having a full service meal. Them poor salmon just when they think they have made it to the spawning grounds and there's a bear standing at the top of the white water, mouth open licking his chops.

Still haven't been to the falls in the winter, the ice column is supposed to be worth the drive.

We have a little bit of everything around our little piece of paradise, you can go from the desert floor complete with catus and rattle snakes to scenery similar Wells Gray in less than 30 miles. It's the kind of area that we love to stumble across in our travels, lots of history and lots of characters have and do inhabit the area, BCs version of Tombstone AZ.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Aaron
Learn something new every time we go camping.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #15

Tennessee
Dump the black tank when the flush valve no longer closes.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Dump the black tank when the flush valve no longer closes.

You might be a kook, but your a funny kook. It's been years, since I've heard about anyone building a "Brown Pyramid".

Old 05-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post

You might be a kook, but your a funny kook. It's been years, since I've heard about anyone building a "Brown Pyramid".
While dumping my tank at home. (son) dad are you sure the hose is on the drain connection tight? (dad) oh yea no problem pull the lever as I'm standing right next to the drain..........
Then there was the time I left my power cord home. Then there was the time I and so on & so on.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #18

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
While dumping my tank at home. (son) dad are you sure the hose is on the drain connection tight? (dad) oh yea no problem pull the lever as I'm standing right next to the drain..........
Then there was the time I left my power cord home. Then there was the time I and so on & so on.
Mike,

Robin Williams could have used your help in that movie classic, RV. h

My biggest screw up when it comes to tanks was not dumping them before we left the coast. I didn't feel like driving the ten miles out of my way. It was a balmy 38F when we left, so what could possibly happen if I waited until I get to our local sani-dump at home. I spent most of the next day thawing the poopsicles, with a heat gun, a heater and a five gallon buket. Who was that dummy, that took the easyway out and put that dump valve on the end of the pipe? Oh, that was me. The lesson learned, don't take short cuts with the fix.

If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #19

Arizona
You turn on the propane when you get to the campsite? Most likely you have a electric/gas refrigerator like the rest of us. I turn on my propane before we leave and keep it on to run the refrigerator while traveling down the highway and don't turn it off until we get home. It auto switches between ac and gas as it needs to.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote