Modifications for Storage Aspen Trail 1900RBWE - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #1

Idaho
Modifications for Storage Aspen Trail 1900RBWE

I have a few modifications I thought that I would share with folks that are looking for more storage in their Aspen Trail. We purchased ours this year and found that it just didn't have much storage, so I found some space behind panels and created my own storage.
First, the bathroom didn't have any place to store towels. So by removing the large panel and the small panel to the right, I created 2 compartments that would store towels and wash cloths.
Second, under the sink I remove the large panel behind the door (Water pump is located here) I built a shelf that spans from the drawers to the right edge of the cabinet. I used the panel I removed as the divider to keep thing from getting into the track of the drawers and falling on the floor below them.
Third, I cut a hole in the back of the dining bench near the bed. This allows me to place bins under the bench and remove them without removing the cushions and board from the bench. Much more functional, this is where we keep our canned goods. They are heavy and thought it would be better than putting them in the overhead.
Lastly, I raised the closet in the rear next to the door. The manufacturer doesn't make it tall enough making it frustrating when removing shirts or jackets and they pull what you have below out on the floor as well. This allowed me to raise the bar inside and providing space to hang items and also have a bin or two in the bottom and not have things drag out on to the floor.

For each of the shelving projects I used 1/2 birch plywood. It's great to work with. You can stain it if you wanted to make it match, but I didn't care about that, just functionality. For under the Kitchen sink I had to put a couple of pieces just taller than the waterpump, then I made that piece in two pieces, I stapled the left side in place, but the right I put 2 screws so it could be removed if you need to service/replace the waterpump. I also put some insulation under neath all around the waterpump, this made it much quieter when running.

Under the bench storage I just drew it and cut it out with a jigsaw. I looked for some kind of vinyl to cover the cut out and make it look nice, but wasn't able to find any.

Closet, that was a little more involved: (1) I removed the top, you have to take all the screws out on the sides and back then I hit the front from underneath with a rubber mallet, however they had the front really stapled well. I eventually worked the top and used a bar from the inside and separate the top. (2) Using a level I marked the back and measured from the two rear corners up to the line and cut the wood 3/4 x 3/4 to be the rear corner supports. (3) I cut a board to length across the front of closet (between the two walls) and then ripped it 6 3/4 inches, this brings it above the outlet in the rear corner. (4) With a hole saw I cut a 2" hole in the rear left corner to put a cord through to the outlet in case I had a need to plug something in. I also purchased a 2" desk hole cover to put in the hole (Home Depot). (5) Secure the front piece I put a board on the backside on each side and then stapled into each wall. (6) Put a bead of glue along top edge of new front piece an put the top back on. Top will sit on the supports in the rear corners, now you can put the screws back in on each side and the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151108_105733.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	2658   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151108_105807.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	2659   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151108_105916.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2660   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151108_105711.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	2661  

RickNTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

Illinois
Nicely done. Way to maximize.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #3

Florida
Well done... Thanks for sharing
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #4

New Jersey
How are the panels fastened to the cabinets.. Cant really get in there to see if they are stapled, screwed or nailed.. and I'd like to get them off without damaging them.. can you simply pry them off??
I really like your idea..
Pat
Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #5

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstime RVer View Post
How are the panels fastened to the cabinets.. Cant really get in there to see if they are stapled, screwed or nailed.. and I'd like to get them off without damaging them.. can you simply pry them off??
Pat
Pat, you need to remove the trim pieces in the rear corners above the top, then the top is has the supports along the side and back that are screwed to the wall. Remove those screws first. I left 1 screw in the rear of the left side to hold top in place. The front is a little trickier because of how they put the staples in. If you can get something inside to GENTLY pry., but I used a rubber mallet to pound up on the front from the inside. Once I got it loose I pushed up on the rear and brought that up until it exposed the staples that I could cut it loose.
I then cut the 3/4 inch strip on backside of frame on each side so I could place supports up for the new face.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions let me know.

Rick
Old 01-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #6

Idaho
Quote:
Pat
Pat, I just read your post again and thought you might be talking about the panels under the sinks, sorry about that, I had the closet in mind. The one under the kitchen sink had 4 screws, 1 in each corner. Then I removed the thin framework that it was screwed to, it was just stapled to the frame. There is also an access with a door under your fridge. I moved the backstop to the side and it opened up to where we could put a few pots and pans, coffee pot etc. Works really well.

Rick
Old 01-12-2016, 03:22 AM   #7

New Jersey
Thanks Rick,
The large panel under the bathroom sink is the biggee.. I really like the idea of storing a few towels under there. Your work looks really good. That was my primary focus.. Don't have any blind panels under the sink, but found that the space behind the panel under the fridge is where my elec. cable goes when I feed it thru the hole in the wall... might be able to move the panel back and pick up a bit of storage space there..
Thanks for the info. Wont do much till it warms up but I will post some pics of my progress..
Can't wait till spring..

All the best
Allentown, NJ
Old 01-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #8

Idaho
Quote:
Thanks Rick,
The large panel under the bathroom sink is the biggee.. I really like the idea of storing a few towels under there. Your work looks really good. That was my primary focus.. Don't have any blind panels under the sink, but found that the space behind the panel under the fridge is where my elec. cable goes when I feed it thru the hole in the wall... might be able to move the panel back and pick up a bit of storage space there..
Thanks for the info. Wont do much till it warms up but I will post some pics of my progress..
Can't wait till spring..

All the best
Gotcha. Glad that this helps. I used 1/2 birch plywood as the shelf part and verticals under the bathroom sink. My trailer has a detachable cord so doesn't have a storage under the fridge. just pipes.
You will definitely enjoy the added storage.
Take care and let us know how it goes for you.
My wife works for a company out of Morristown, NJ.

Rick
Old 01-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #9

New Jersey
Thanks Rick,
I'll definitely post the pics. Just promise you wont laugh too hard.. I'm a function over form kinda person.
I can build racks, frames, shelves with the best of them.. but they never seem to look as good as I'd like them to..

So I'm really impressed with the mods I've seen on this site where people build functional items that look so good.

As for your wife working for a company in NJ; Morristown is basically a suburb of NYC. How does a person from the relatively laid back Northwest deal with the "Do something, even if its wrong" attitude common to that part of the Northeast??

All the best,

Allentown, NJ

Tags
aspen trail, closet, modifications, storage