Misplaced Keys - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 11:34 PM   #1

North Carolina
Misplaced Keys

Hello!

My name is Amy and I have done a bad thing. I misplaced the keys to our camper, 2013 Coleman CTS16QB. I went to the dealer and was told they couldn't help me obtain replacement/duplicate keys but would be happy to sell me a new lock. Is there no way to obtain duplicate keys with a VIN #?

If the only route is a new lock, any ideas on how to replacement it (Door lock and the compartment lock) given I can't get the door open?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Amy

ataylor1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #2

Try rvlocksandmore.com. I have found them to be very helpful.

BigBoyjack b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:21 AM   #3

Colorado
You would likely pay dearly for the service but a professional locksmith can help you out.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #4

British Columbia
Any RV dealer could supply replacement keys, if they chose to give "customer service".

As Big boy says RV locks and more can provide replacement keys, if you have the key code number. You can also buy replacement cylinders and keys if you have too. On the plus side of buying replacement cylinders is you can get rid the master code lock the is in the paddle handle.

We have a routine that makes sure that we don't misplace our keys, once the rig is locked up, the keys go into the glove box. When we our in the trailer, the keys are hung on a hook at the door. We also keep a spare set of keys stored away in the truck.

Good luck in finding a solution.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #5

New York
Do you have any outside compartment doors that you can send a child thru into your TT??? Not sure of the layout of your trailer so this is just a thought! On our Rubicon you can access the bedroom thru the front pass thru and the so called laundry shoot!

I do know that many of the outside compartments door are keyed alike - so if you have a neighbor with a trailer see if their key will unlock a hatch and then send a kido in!

Good luck - come back and let us know how you made out!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #6

Its no help right now but I keep a complete set of keys hidden on the exterior of the camper yet very accessible at any time. Once you get your locks operating again you might want to think about that for the future.
On a helpful note there are a few places online that supply keys of various makes locks.
RVLocksAndMore | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:00 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Any RV dealer could supply replacement keys, if they chose to give "customer service".

As Big boy says RV locks and more can provide replacement keys, if you have the key code number. You can also buy replacement cylinders and keys if you have too. On the plus side of buying replacement cylinders is you can get rid the master code lock the is in the paddle handle.

We have a routine that makes sure that we don't misplace our keys, once the rig is locked up, the keys go into the glove box. When we our in the trailer, the keys are hung on a hook at the door. We also keep a spare set of keys stored away in the truck.

Good luck in finding a solution.
Just remember the last time I removed a door lock there was a label with the key code recorded on it.

If you don't have the key number and the trailer is not locked, you can remove the lock and check for the key code.

You could then see if your local locksmith can cut you a key by the code.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #8

Alabama
Camping world had a master set of keys for all their brand new campers
AlabamaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #9

North Carolina
Hey guys/gals,

Vrish here, Ataylor1973's husband.

Our local camping world is not interested in helping us out with a master key or purchasing an extra set. All they wanted us to do was sell a replacement lock kit. We tried to get in through the crawlspace/storage, however there isn't access via that area. So unfortunately we're forced to go the expensive route and have a locksmith come out.
Vrishnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #10

North Carolina
Also we can't get the lock assembly off the door to find out the key code. We're first time buyers so had no idea there was a key code or I would have purchased several replacements. I was really hoping there was a way to use the vin number.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #11

Have you tried contacting Dutchmen? They might be able to help. Also, you should have gotten 2 sets of keys at delivery.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #12

North Carolina
We tried Dutchman and they directed us to the dealer, the dealer told us to contact Dutchman. We'll just going to have a locksmith come out and pick the lock.

Thanks to all of you that have offered up suggestions, there are still decent people in this world.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #13

Louisiana
Many campers are keyed the same. Do you have any friends with campers that will loan you their keys to try? You can also try a cargo trailer dealer since many cargo trailers share the same RV doors and locks.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:00 AM   #14

As a point of reference, I had a lock that "froze" on my 2012 Kodiak and a locksmith was $53. I know the price will vary from area to area but ballpark as to what to expect.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #15

California
Trying to put a positive spin on this. At least you'll get in with the locksmith, and you've learned a great lesson the hardest way of all. A few months from now, once everything is sorted, you'll have a great story to tell. It's fun to collect stories.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #16

Alabama
Gesh, they won't at least open your door so you can get in.
AlabamaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #17

New York
I'd call Dutchmen back and tell them CW WOULD not help you....when I told the rep I was dealing with at Dutchmen, he was not happy, took the reins and before you knew it I was getting calls back from my dealer.

Be firm when you speak with Dutchmen, stating how unhappy you are with the customer service, etc.....come back and let us know who things work out!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #18

North Carolina
Hey all,

Just wanted to update you guys/gals that I posted on their facebook page that they wouldn't help us initially. They came out probably 4 days later to the house with a crew while I was at work and replaced the assembly with two brand new keys.

Thanks,
Vrish
Old 08-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrishnak View Post
Hey all,

Just wanted to update you guys/gals that I posted on their facebook page that they wouldn't help us initially. They came out probably 4 days later to the house with a crew while I was at work and replaced the assembly with two brand new keys.

Thanks,
Vrish
I'm happy everything worked out for you.

Was that on the Camping World facebook page?

If it was I'm not surprised. I was looking at the RVNET site today and there is a thread for complaints and compliments about Camping World. Marcus Lemonis, CEO of Camping World and Good Sam club monitors the thread and gets involved when the customer is not getting the service they deserve.

It appears when Marcus gets involved, things happen. It's too bad that you have to go to this extreme to be treated with respect.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #20

North Carolina
It was on the main corporate facebook page and then I also posted the same on the local stores page.