Maiden Voyage Coleman 240 RK - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #1

Minnesota
Maiden Voyage Coleman 240 RK

Hi
So after we picked up our TT last week, we decided to take our first trip. We decided to stay relatively close to home with in an hour drive.

I was a little nervous getting on the highway not know if the trailer was going to sway or not. I installed an Equal I zer 4 point WD hitch rated at 1200#.

The ride to the camp site was about 50 miles, over all, I think it was okay. I did not experience sway but I could for sure feel the whole rig pushed to the side whenever a semi passed us or even a speeding truck or van. Is that normal?

Our camping experience was amazing. We thought we bought a large TT at 27ft overall length, I was surprised when we arrived to the campsite to see that most TT were 29ft and above.

I'm still worried about the tongue weight and will make a tongue scale from 2x4 and a couple of small pipes as seen on some you tube videos.

On the way home we experienced some cross wind, I looked like it was blowing at 10 - 15 MPH. Still I could feel the whole rig being pushed but no sway. I guess the sway bars are doing their job after all.

zaneroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Sounds like you had a great trip! Yes push is normal with side winds and passing trucks and buses. The Equalizer is a good hitch if set up properly. I used one for several years with my Airstream and F-150.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:51 PM   #3

Florida
congrats on a successful outing. The sway is normal and you will quickly how to counter it's effects.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:22 PM   #4

Oregon
The bathroom scale method is OK but the first time I tried it I bent the bathroom scale. My tongue weight was 1350lbs . Most of the bathroom scale examples show a 2' or 3' between the two pipes. I had t to go 5' (and buy a new bathroom scale) and multiple accordingly.

Really the best way to do this is to find a roadside scale that is closed but the scale still operating. Weigh your truck axles loaded without the trailer then go back with the trailer loaded and weigh truck axles and trailer axles. Subtract the difference from the truck rear axle alone and with the trailer loaded and you will get your tongue weight.

When weighing the truck alone I would have the WDH in the receiver and have that weight on the truck weight instead of included in the trailer tongue weight.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote