Lube for Slide Mechanisms and Slide Sides - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2015, 12:26 AM   #1

Ontario
Lube for Slide Mechanisms and Slide Sides

FYI.....an experienced tech whom I trust, told me to buy a $14 spray bottle of T-40 Lubricant/rustproofing from Crown Rustproofing and spray the large square tube extensions under the large slide on my Denali along with the threaded rod and back gears. T-40 is a colorless lubricant and rust inhibitor. I did mine and it stopped a lot of the cracking and creaking plus now they are rustproofed for a year. Did more parts with it also like the stairs, electric stabilizers etc... I would not recommend it for the Shwinnteck(spelling?) slides as it may attract some grit in the fine gears on the side of the slide and promote premature wear.

Also, to prevent your rubber seals from sticking and sliding smoothly, there is a "cheap miracle ingredient": Pledge Furniture Polish. Spray on the side of the slide (clean first), rub to a shine and your rubbers will slide beautifully (no KY required...LOL). Car wax works but will eventually build up and may even coat your slides with a white sticky gunk as it oxidises (Pledge removes the previous coat with each application). I tried Pledge and it works great.

Just thought I would pass on the info.

Be safe and have fun doing it!!!

Old 05-27-2015, 01:55 AM   #2

Arizona
Hey Mountie,
How are you doing with your Denali? Taken any big trips with it yet?

We're getting ready to start out big adventure in the Northwest starting this weekend.
Looking forward to exploring BC & Alberta. I'll be keeping it under 100 kph for the most part.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:22 AM   #3

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
Hey Mountie,
How are you doing with your Denali? Taken any big trips with it yet?

We're getting ready to start out big adventure in the Northwest starting this weekend.
Looking forward to exploring BC & Alberta. I'll be keeping it under 100 kph for the most part.
Doin' great with the Denali!!! We just love it. It is very well made and meets our needs exactly!! Lots of storage and quality workmanship. Let's hope we don't get disappointed down the road ;(

No, we are not planning any big trips yet. My father who is 93 is in a retirement home here in Ottawa and my wife and I are the only ones looking after him so we tend to stay close. After all he's done for us, that's the least we can do for him We are planning to go through the Canadian Maritimes though at some point....probably will do it in two stages, one year after the other, as that is a long trip to Newfoundland/Labrador and then back to Ottawa...definitely a 6-8wk trip if you want to enjoy the sights.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Mountie View Post
Also, to prevent your rubber seals from sticking and sliding smoothly, there is a "cheap miracle ingredient": Pledge Furniture Polish. Spray on the side of the slide (clean first), rub to a shine and your rubbers will slide beautifully (no KY required...LOL). Car wax works but will eventually build up and may even coat your slides with a white sticky gunk as it oxidises (Pledge removes the previous coat with each application). I tried Pledge and it works great.

Just thought I would pass on the info.

Be safe and have fun doing it!!!

Pledge may work, but it won't prevent the sun from damaging it. I only use 303 on my rubber trim and tires. Fantastic product and it's not that expensive.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #5

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Pledge may work, but it won't prevent the sun from damaging it. I only use 303 on my rubber trim and tires. Fantastic product and it's not that expensive.
Yes, you are correct. I also use special lube and protectant recommended by the manufacturer for my rubber seals and tires (I forget the name but I bought it from the dealer). I use Pledge solely on the fiberglass "side" of the slide itself when it is opened and then buff it out. The rubber seals glide more smoothly when opening and closing with the side of the slide polished.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #6

Tennessee
I seem to have zero reading comprehension today. I think i'll shut up and take the rest of the day off.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #7

Ontario
Quote:
I seem to have zero reading comprehension today. I think i'll shut up and take the rest of the day off.

.......Have a good one and an even better one tomorrow!!!!
Old 05-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:

Have a beer on me!

I have days where I am better off just leaving the world alone.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:33 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:

I had to read your first post of the day about doing a PDI on tires four times before I realized it wasnt me, you had me going on that one!
LOL
Enjoy the rest of the day!

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote