list of worthwhile modifications? (lantern 3035) - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2021, 04:35 PM   #1

Florida
list of worthwhile modifications? (lantern 3035)

i picked up a 2017 coleman 3035rl this mont. its my first camper. after looking and searching through posts and in interwebland, i was wondering what upgrades or mods would ge worthy of consideration before starting out.

my planned use would be to be setup for dry camping or boondocking as that would give me the most flexibility.

at this point i have planned a soft start capacitor for ac, a wired backup camera using a sharp 700 line resolution with 14-16 ir illuminators, a rear reciver hitch basket a 3500 watt inverter generator, a portable dump tank, and a 100 wat solar panel and charge controller. then the truck would get a 60 gallon fuel tank.

ive also looked at the foam insert boxes for the ac, as well and may do that.

looking forward to getting out.

tow rig is '19 F 350
mods move to appropriate forum , oops..

mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #2

Florida
Don't look in this section unless you have a very large wallet.

Show off your mods

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:36 PM   #3

Florida
thanks, i missed that one on a search. there are some great ideas in there,
thats the info i was looking for.
mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:26 PM   #4

California
I highly recommend you ditch the lead acid batteries and upgrade to Lithium. I was running two 6 volt and upgraded to one Lithium 202 AH battery. I was running my generator 4+ hours daily, now I only need to run it once every 5 days for 3 hours.
Markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #5

California
Question on where and how you mounted the generator, if on the back bumper it might not hold the weight.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:20 PM   #6

Washington
For boondocking ditch the generator and the accompanying noise/pollution. As you embark on boondocking you will learn to appreciate the quiet and beauty of the wide open spaces. I really don't like to have to listen to someone running a generator especially at night.

I went with solar from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun (solar-electric.com). I put in three 330 watt panels (probably overkill), victron charge controller [Victron SmartSolar Charge Controller (150V 70A Tr)] and 2000 watt AIMS pure sinewave wave inverter with auto transfer switch (PWRIX200012SUL 2000 Watt Pure Sine Inverter with Transfer Switch 12 VDC to 120 VAC ETL Listed). I would suggest a inverter/charger if I was doing it over. For batteries I installed three Weize 100ah SLA VRLA AGM batteries, would like lithium but just cannot afford them. I can run all appliances in the trailer including the A/C in which I installed a Microair Easystart 364. I also use an Keurig coffee machine and electric toaster. The frig runs off electric also. The solar keeps the batteries charged and supplies any extra power not needed for battery charging for running the trailer 120Vac appliances.

Yes, solar is expensive but you can get started for a few hundred dollars and build the system out over time. For information on solar search YouTube for solar install video's; that's where I learned how to understand the system requirements and installation which I did myself. I am very glad I went with solar. And FYI I do have a small 2K watt generator for emergencies should the sun not shine but have never had to use it.

Have fun out in the wild. If you are not aware of Campendium.com check it out for reviews on Forrest Service and BLM dispersed camping info.

Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote