Kodiak Four Seasons package - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

Oregon
Kodiak Four Seasons package

We have a 2017 Kodiak which we plan on using next week for a few nights before winterizing it and putting it in storage. Going to be at a fairly low elevation in the Oregon Cascade Mountain foothills so probably not going to get below freezing (yet) but still wondering exactly how protected the Four Seasons feature will keep our rig. Anyone have some good knowledge of exactly what the package does?

Thanks,
Dan

Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:27 PM   #2

Arizona
Hope you have a good supply of propane because the heater is going to blow through it. These trailer manufacturers claim 4 season usage but that can be laughable. They want you to think our trailers are built out of 2x6's with R30 insulation. Not the case. Walls are thin and Styrofoam is the insulation. We've camped several times when it was below freezing. The city water quickly froze and we used a lot of propane keeping the trailer warm. Camping in the freeze is not something I would recommend.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:14 PM   #3

Tennessee
If you're camping at 32f or above there's obviously no issue... Depending on your climate, I would call it a 3 seasons at best package. The underbelly is heated somewhat by the furnace, but as azdryheat said, the furnace uses propane at a staggering rate.

I have camped when the nighttime temps dipped into the mid to low 20's with daytime reaching 40 or so, that's as cold as I care to push it. My camper is small though and I can heat it with a space heater. My "four seasons" package consists of a somewhat enclosed underbelly and the furnace blowing a little heat under the shower area, all the pipes running on the outside wall around the outdoor kitchen have no direct heat source.

At those temps, I filled the water tank and disconnected the city water at night. With some planning you can go fairly cold, but don't think it's protected from harsh winter weather.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #4

Oregon
Thanks for the replies guys.

It may get a bit below freezing at night so plan on keeping the heat going (we will have electrical hookup) as well as letting a trickle of water run from the two sink and shower faucets. We will be on "city" water so also plan on having some heating cable on the outside hose and putting a half a gallon of RV anti freeze into the gray and black water tanks. So far, we have never run any water into the freshwater tank since all of our trips have been to places with water hookups. So don't have to worry about any water in there possibly freezing up.

I'm thinking (and hoping) those should be sufficient precautions, along with the Four Seasons capability, to keep things safe for the three night we will be there.

Anyone reading this that has some other suggestions to give, or feels my actions may not be adequate, please chime in.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #5

Oregon
Or, maybe even better, disconnect the city water hose at night (and drain) and then drain the water lines. Could always have some water handy to pour into the toilet to flush with if necessary. Then, rehook everything back up the next morning. I dunno, maybe that's all overkill. Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:31 PM   #6

Florida
I use the heated water hoses, they work GREAT! I plug them into the 110 outlet at the campsite's power kiosk (with extension cords). I also have a water softener that I put under the trailer and wrap with insulation. that coupled with the heated water hoses worked to 0 degrees in the mountains of West North Carolina (Boone).
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #7

Oregon
Thanks Frank,
Not going to get anywhere near 0 degrees where we will be. Maybe 28-30 at the lowest. And we will only be out there for three nights with it warming up into the upper forties, low fifties, during the day.

A buddy who has had way more experience with trailers and RVs than I have had said that with the Four Seasons package, and keeping the heater going most of the time, we shouldn't really have to take any other precaustions other than keeping the outside hose from freezing up. And the heating cable should take care of that.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:48 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researchhound View Post
Thanks Frank,
Not going to get anywhere near 0 degrees where we will be. Maybe 28-30 at the lowest. And we will only be out there for three nights with it warming up into the upper forties, low fifties, during the day.

A buddy who has had way more experience with trailers and RVs than I have had said that with the Four Seasons package, and keeping the heater going most of the time, we shouldn't really have to take any other precaustions other than keeping the outside hose from freezing up. And the heating cable should take care of that.
the campgrounds (the ones we stay at) fine you if your hose breaks due to freezing, that's one of the reasons we purchased that heated hose stuff. I have plenty of hoses and during the warmer months, i use the regular hoses. I have them JUST IN CASE.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #9

Massachusetts
In my opinion ( from New England )
at 28 to 30 it would never get anywhere near freezing a pipe or hose just overnight ,,,
has to cool the hose and water inside it from the daytime temp then have no water movement to freeze
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #10

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
In my opinion ( from New England )
at 28 to 30 it would never get anywhere near freezing a pipe or hose just overnight ,,,
has to cool the hose and water inside it from the daytime temp then have no water movement to freeze

I suspect that is correct. And any attempt to keep the trailer and hose even slightly warmer would likely keep things freeze free to a lot lower temps.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:35 PM   #11

Montana
Winter travel

Does anyone travel with the furnace running when going down the road in temps below freezing? 2015 Kodiak 298 RLSL.in Montana
Osprey767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Please start a new thread for new issues. Things tend to work more smoothly if you do.

Most TT and RV propane furnaces work OK while driving at moderate speeds. They need to be properly installed of course.

That said there are safety issues. I recommend you carefully test yours. I assume your furnace does not have a pilot light.

Some road tunnels forbid propane tanks. Some require tanks to be shut off. Many public safety organizations caution to turn propane off while traveling.

Many states require shutting all propane appliances off as well as shutting off your vehicle engine while filling your gas tank at a filling stations.

Exhaust ports are hot. Touching one while it is working may cause a burn. "Civilians" may not be aware.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #13

South Carolina
In Our 2018 Kodiak 243BHSL we camped in temperatures as low as 16 degrees. Day time went into the 40s. No issues. Heater did not run as often as i would have expected. We have the heated under belly. It is there I looked haha. One hose from heater is it. But it does work up to a point. What that point is, is a guess. I am sure.

We also left doors under both sinks open a little.

Your mileage may vary.

Have fun!