Kodiak delamination issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #1

Alabama
Kodiak delamination issues

I have a 2017 kodiak 283bhsl, I've had some issues with this camper (none that make me hate it) but after our annual 4th trip I noticed while cleaning the rear of the camper has started to delaminate.
I have had no leaks (that I know of) and the only water issues come when camping in the fall the walls sweat like crazy.
Does anyone else have the delamination issue?

MCollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:28 AM   #2

Tennessee
Delaminates nation is not that unusual with composite construction.

Take a look here for one approach to repairing.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=61816.0

I use to work on fighter aircraft which had composite construction. Delimitation was always a concern. One method that we would use required us to drill a small hole into the skin, inject epoxy and pull the skin back in contact with the substrate until the epoxy cured.

Good luck.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #3

Tennessee
Why are the walls "sweating", inside or outside? I live in Tennessee and the humidity is outrageous as I know it is in Alabama. I run a dehumidifier probably 9 months out of the year to keep the inside dry. The first week I had it, it was so humid the kitchen table had condensation on it, now it's controlled at 40% with the dehumidifier.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #4

Wisconsin
There are many causes of delamination. One is water being sucked into the layers by freezing weather outside and high humidity (condensation) inside. Considerable force is generated by the temperature difference. Afterwards the moisture in the walls freezes and thaws breaking the laminations apart.
Condensation control is mandatory in freezing weather for this and other water damage reasons.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #5

Florida
Reason Dutchmen makes junk
Smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:48 AM   #6

Illinois
Sidewall Delamination

My 2012 Denali has several small sidewall delaminations and one large one on the large slide. These are mostly caused by poor sealing around the windows. Dutchmen used a thin foam insulation type of tape around the windows. Several window have leaked and caused delamination on the exterior and areas of bubbles on the the interior plastic coated luan paneling. On removing one window (large slide) for sealing, I found that the foam tape had a gap on the top where water could run down around the window frame and them enter the wall. I am pulling all window and sealing them. Only one of many examples of pathetic workmanship that I have spent days fixing.
Danfiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:58 AM   #7

Nova Scotia
Dutchmen makes absolute crap. I looked for 5 years to find the right trailer and it went to pieces after I purchased it. Went in for floor tear from slide a month after I took it home and they kept it over the winter. After the one year warranty was up the delamination showed up on the kitchen side. They wouldn't even look at it and can't find anyone in N.Ss, Canada to look at it. Did find out that a/c was never bolted down tight from factory and had a roof leak that went through to the front and now that sags in and looks hideous. Now this year the kitchen floor I'd getting soft.
I now have 2 choices. Either fix the floor and park it or have a sticker that says SUCKS and put it under the Kodiak one on the front and drag it everywhere or park it when it's toast where everyone can see it.
It's a 2012 and I still have 3 or so years left to pay this ****box off so I can't afford to take a chance on sinking anymore into it and unlike Dutchmen or Keystone now I guess, I have a conscience and couldn't live with myself if I unloaded this nightmare on someone else like they suggested I do.
Thanks for ruining my retirement Keystone.
caper_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #8

Florida
Caper_6, what do you attribute the soft floor in the kitchen to? I have a 2016 Denali that has a spot in the bedroom that the floor is getting "spongy".

I feel your pain.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:30 PM   #9

Nova Scotia
Thanks Frank. I haven't had a chance to inspect yet but it's directly in front of my fridge so I assume the drain is the culprit. If they even bothered to put a hose on it when they assembled it. We spend about 4 days a week in itin the summer and it's making me ill thinking about it and what it's gonna cost me.
Not sure what would cause yours in the bedroom. Could be a water hose leak.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_6 View Post
Thanks Frank. I haven't had a chance to inspect yet but it's directly in front of my fridge so I assume the drain is the culprit. If they even bothered to put a hose on it when they assembled it. We spend about 4 days a week in itin the summer and it's making me ill thinking about it and what it's gonna cost me.
Not sure what would cause yours in the bedroom. Could be a water hose leak.
If I thought there was a leak somewhere, I would immediately inspect the hell out of it until I found it, then fix it. Sometimes you have to help yourself when others won't.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #11

Nova Scotia
Correct wild west. I was told by a non Dutchmen dealer that I had a leak where my awning is seamed and that it was fixed. The a/c was revealed but must have let water into the front end and the fridge or floor just started. So I'm starting to wonder if fixing all three spots is worth it? Hard to tell if it would be fixed even after it's done and paid for. Twice now I was told it was fixed and not to worry about it. I haven't been travelling with it either which is a good thing I guess. Inspection was up 3 years ago.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
If I thought there was a leak somewhere, I would immediately inspect the hell out of it until I found it, then fix it. Sometimes you have to help yourself when others won't.
I had to wait until I got back home so I could get my borescope after that spot to see if there is water or a bulkhead is loose or they just put a short piece in there.. In addition, I have an appointment set up for repair of the black tank valve on the 28th of August...
Old 10-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #13

North Carolina
2018 Kodiak 283BHSL

I have not noticed any delamination yet. But it's been in the shop since August 8 and now waiting on Kodiak to authorize 4 pages of warranty work orders for it. Water heater burnt up cause of loose or no wire nuts, sliding door tracks pulled from ceiling, paneling pulling from walls, no backer boards behind the "put tv here" stickers, slide hit entertainment center breaking it, ceiling wavy in front bedroom- not attached to studs, paneling too long, batten strips not attached or too long. AC so loud you have to wear hearing protection while it's running. So I'm assuming the delamination is coming next. Oh and that's only after two 3-day trips in it. Lucky me.
earnhadn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #14

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by earnhadn View Post
I have not noticed any delamination yet. But it's been in the shop since August 8 and now waiting on Kodiak to authorize 4 pages of warranty work orders for it. Water heater burnt up cause of loose or no wire nuts, sliding door tracks pulled from ceiling, paneling pulling from walls, no backer boards behind the "put tv here" stickers, slide hit entertainment center breaking it, ceiling wavy in front bedroom- not attached to studs, paneling too long, batten strips not attached or too long. AC so loud you have to wear hearing protection while it's running. So I'm assuming the delamination is coming next. Oh and that's only after two 3-day trips in it. Lucky me.
been there!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #15

Alabama
I have a 2017 coleman with several 2 to 3 inch bubble delamination spots on one sidewall.. It had a couple spots when I purchased the trailer new but after a year and a half more have popped up. I have been thinking about possible drilling a small hole and putting some epoxy in the hole and pressing it back down. Has anyone tried this before or is there a better option? I also am worried about matching the fiberglass tan color.
jhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:09 AM   #16

Utah
Delamination DIY

https://www.delamrepair.com/composetaboutus.html

Jhat you might try this..

dougb is offline   Reply With Quote