Kodiak Cub 175BH Jack?? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2020, 11:32 PM   #1

California
Kodiak Cub 175BH Jack??

Do these units come with a jack for replacing a flat tire? If not, are you able to use your vehicle jack?

truckee kook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:41 PM   #2

Alabama
No they do not. Not sure what your weight rating is on vehicle jack. If you are worried about it you should probably buy one for your camper.

Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #3

Florida
I purchased a five ton bottle jack with the screw in the ram for height.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Bottle jack for Kodiak Cub

Like Frank above, I have a bottle jack. I have a 176RB. A couple of 2X6 stubs help with getting enough height, cushion contact with the frame, and keep it from sinking into the ground.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Roadside assistance for me from now on - $5000.00 for new undercarriage after messing up the axles and leaf-springs due to blowout...
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Roadside assistance for me from now on - $5000.00 for new undercarriage after messing up the axles and leaf-springs due to blowout...
please explain!
Old 06-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckee kook View Post
Do these units come with a jack for replacing a flat tire? If not, are you able to use your vehicle jack?
No they do not. You are on your own for a jack system, and I found out the hard way that roadside assistance plans differ, make sure to ask if it covers your RV mine did not, only the passenger vehicle...
Old 07-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #8

Washington
I purchased a small (4 ton) hydraulic jack. Just place the jack under the point where the axle and leaf spring come together to constrain the lifting pressure to both the axle and spring. Any other point can cause problems if the lifting force is distributed to one component or the other.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Thumbs up Insurance woah's

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
please explain!
May 26, 2020 returning to Oklahoma from a trip to Kansas, in the 291 RESL with brand new Firestone tires after 4 years of walking on eggshells after listening to people here talk about "China Bombs" and having the opportunity to purchase 4 new tires from a major dealer, we pulled into our driveway and my wife noticed there was a problem with the right front trailer tire... It had no rubber on the rim. As we had also had an issue with the driver side slide and it was scheduled for delivery to a dealership on Friday, I just changed the tire to the spare after disconnecting.
Now I need to say that the tow vehicle was a new to me Chevy silverado 2500 and I had maybe 150 miles of travel time in it without a trailer before we left for a 250 mile trip to Kansas, I was cautious because I was interested in learning how this vehicle would act with the RV based on the experiences I had had with the RV on a Ford F-150... so both the wife and I were listening for any different sounds or vibrations, etc... to learn how the two would behave...
We never felt anything and the trip had seemed smooth other for one point when we had to move over for a wide vehicle load on a two lane county highway, I thought I had felt the camper tires leave the roadway and travel onto the shoulder, for a second but felt no difference in travel, after that. We had no indication of any trouble until we pulled into the drive to unload.
Changed the tire and saw no apparent damage to the undercarriage except for the plastic trim piece on the slide. Took the rim to the National chain store where I bought the Firestone tires and they informed me I did not have road hazard insurance because they don't offer it for trailer tires... as they can't be sure you won't overload them... BUT they, out of good faith, and as I was a loyal customer... would replace the tire this one time...
took the tire and the trailer in for the warranty repair on the slide and asked them to replace the spare and put the chrome rime back on (for 1/2 hour labor charge) ... then left thinking all was well... Silly me...
Got a call from the advisor, "You have 2 bent axles, and frame rail damage... gonna cost over $5,000 to fix" PANIC! settled down and started off by going through my options...
1. Call the truck insurance... It was a trailer being pulled by my covered vehicle so it is included right? NO if I had borrowed it from a neighbor yes it would be covered, but as I owned it no. I needed to purchase a separate rider
2. Called tire company and they laughed at me...
3. Called extended Warranty company and they said if the tire blew it was not RV manufacture issue, so no coverage...
4. Called Good Sam insurance to see if the insurance I had through them would cover it, Lady said maybe... then no after checking because it sounded like a tire malfunction.
All this time getting more and more frustrated - Its June of 2020 - No one is working at the office, all from home due to COVID-19 and I am getting the runaround...
Finally the Service advisor and I were talking and he listened to me relate the trip home story on more time and caught the glaring issue... Had I gone off the road or hit something on the side of the road? He found a chip on the chrome rim that indicated I had hit something... called Good Sam's Insurance partner National General and they started a claim...
Result after 60 days of review and consideration I will be getting a check to fix the undercarriage .... End of Story

From Now on If I even think I might have had an incident I am pulling over and calling for roadside assistance... No more MR Macho for me - I am too old for that kind of stress!
Old 07-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #10

Florida
I had a flat on one of the RV tires this week. Ran over something in a construction zone. Fortunately, they are GREAT tires and the repairman was able to plug the hole and I had my VIAIR pump and we were on our way again. This was AAA that came to save the day. I have a jack and a spare (china bomb) but it was 98 degrees and we were on an asphalt parking lot, facing the sun.

I applaud you for finding someone to help with your tire and RV issue. Having insurance is great isn't it?

Good thing you actually changed your tires. One tire would not have probably carried the load of the RV and then what?

I'm going to invest in a set of TPM's that will interface with my iPad that I use to monitor the systems on the truck. Hopefully the signal will reach and I will not need to have a repeater.

Frank
Old 07-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #11

Oklahoma
"I'm going to invest in a set of TPM's that will interface with my iPad that I use to monitor the systems on the truck. Hopefully the signal will reach and I will not need to have a repeater." I am looking into that as well for our rig- The truck has a system for its tires and I can see the helpfulness of a monitoring system - just starting to get worried about all the wireless and RF systems in the vehicle, rearview camera, gps, amateur radio (HF & VHF/UHF) and APRS ,TPMS,and who knows what else...
Old 07-26-2020, 05:12 PM   #12

Washington
I purchases a four tire TPMS to monitor our TT tires. It came with a booster to reach into the truck cab. When installed it showed that three of the tires were low. It will warn of a slow leak and any tire that is +/= 5 lbs from it's cold temperature. Would not be without a TPMS. The ones I got were from Innovation Tire (tireminder.com) whose customer support was outstanding with very quick replies to questions.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:00 PM   #13

Florida
Most of the TPMS stuff use their own frequency, the add on stuff has to use something we can monitor with a standard "thing" we have handy. I know what you mean about all the RF energy we have around. I need to increase DHCP in my home because I have so many devices that are attached now. Over 30!