Just Bought a Used 2012 Denali 289RK - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

Utah
Question Just Bought a Used 2012 Denali 289RK

We Just Bought a Used 2012 Denali 289RK Last week. We bought it from the Dealer who originally sold it. We have owned many RV's Motor homes and 5th wheels. But have not owned a TT for 40 years. My DW was having a hard time with the steps to the Bedroom in the 5th wheel that we traded in for the Denali. We have not picked up the Denali yet and will do so next week. Is there anything we should look for and be aware of? Any trouble spots to be aware of? Would appreciate your comments both Pro and Con. I have to inspect the unit myself as the Dealer wanted $795 to do a inspection which I refused to pay, so will have to do my own. The unit Looks brand new and I have found no visible damage. It appears to be in Excellent shape and well taken care of. I will be testing everything before I pick it up. Having been RVer's for over 40 years I am pretty well informed on most things RV, Just not this model and it is the first one we have had with a rear kitchen. Any advice is appreciated.
Mel

mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #2

Minnesota
Mel,
I have a new 289RK and didn't find anything wrong with it yet.
Water heater by-pass valves are very hard to get at under the countertop. Remove drawer under the cooking stove to see the heater.

Drain valves are under the coach enough they are hard to use. Low point plugs are so far under I lay on the ground to reach them. There are 2 gray water tanks, had to buy extra hose to drain back one.

Awning comes straight out, supposed to be an ajustment for that but it still will be too high to get the party lights on the awning I think.

Stabilizing jacks are electric and won't level the coaqch at all. I have to put boards under the wheels and then put the stabilizers down. I liked the old screw jacks better, I could level the trailer with them.

Good luck, happy trails.
I would love to hear how you like the 289RK.
Louie

Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #3

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
Mel,
I have a new 289RK and didn't find anything wrong with it yet.
Water heater by-pass valves are very hard to get at under the countertop. Remove drawer under the cooking stove to see the heater.

Drain valves are under the coach enough they are hard to use. Low point plugs are so far under I lay on the ground to reach them. There are 2 gray water tanks, had to buy extra hose to drain back one.

Awning comes straight out, supposed to be an ajustment for that but it still will be too high to get the party lights on the awning I think.

Stabilizing jacks are electric and won't level the coaqch at all. I have to put boards under the wheels and then put the stabilizers down. I liked the old screw jacks better, I could level the trailer with them.

Good luck, happy trails.
I would love to hear how you like the 289RK.
Louie
Was at the dealers today and will probably pick it up next week. I was aware of the stabilizer jacks not leveling the trailer. I have the same problem with my 5th wheel. I carry two sets of Lynx blocks to put under the wheels to level when on uneven pad or ground. Separate controlled jacks would be nice although stabilizer jacks are not made for leveling. They are for stabilizing the trailer so it won't sway or rock when walking in it or moving around. Thanks for the info. Hope to hear from more people in regards problems with this model of Denali. With a rear kitchen was wondering how well they tow with that much weight in the rear?
Mel
Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 AM   #4

Minnesota
Mel,
I noticed right away this trailer is prone to sway more than my 26 ft. I installed the Reese cam sway controls the first week I had it. I towed it to Amana, IA about 200 miles each way. On way back had a strong side wind and felt comfortable and confidant. This season one trip and similar feeling. Passing trucks not bad, cross winds do grab it some.

Not much heavier than old one, my truck is on the weak side for big hills, I end up at 45 MPH from 65 on longer grades but I baby the truck some too. Try to stay at 2500 RPM.

Backing parking is about same but needs some longer space than the old one. The Reese w/d bars can come off the cams if trailer is jack knifed enough.

Overal I am comfortable towing it, milage is same as usual 6 to 10 depending on wind. I can't say I don't know it is behind me!

Louie
Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 AM   #5

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
Mel,
I noticed right away this trailer is prone to sway more than my 26 ft. I installed the Reese cam sway controls the first week I had it. I towed it to Amana, IA about 200 miles each way. On way back had a strong side wind and felt comfortable and confidant. This season one trip and similar feeling. Passing trucks not bad, cross winds do grab it some.

Not much heavier than old one, my truck is on the weak side for big hills, I end up at 45 MPH from 65 on longer grades but I baby the truck some too. Try to stay at 2500 RPM.

Backing parking is about same but needs some longer space than the old one. The Reese w/d bars can come off the cams if trailer is jack knifed enough.

Overal I am comfortable towing it, milage is same as usual 6 to 10 depending on wind. I can't say I don't know it is behind me!

Louie
Thanks Louie
That is the kind of information I need. My Tow Vehicle is a Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab with Power Stroke Diesel It has overloads and air bags and can tow up to 23,500 Lbs My 5th wheel with everything loaded weighed Truck and 5th wheel Trailer 19,545 Lbs with TW of 2500 Lbs. I bought a Camco 10,000 /1000 tw Equalizer hitch with sway control. I was told when backing up I have to loosen the handle for the sway control. Hopefully I will get everything setup to eliminate and problem towing. I never exceed 65 MPH (ST Tires) and the truck will take any hill without slowing down. Most of the time I run between 1800 and 2200 RPM and under 5 Lbs of boost on the turbo. I keep it in Overdrive except in town or on steep grades, when I use Tow Haul for braking.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #6

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Thanks Louie
That is the kind of information I need. My Tow Vehicle is a Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab with Power Stroke Diesel It has overloads and air bags and can tow up to 23,500 Lbs My 5th wheel with everything loaded weighed Truck and 5th wheel Trailer 19,545 Lbs with TW of 2500 Lbs. I bought a Camco 10,000 /1000 tw Equalizer hitch with sway control. I was told when backing up I have to loosen the handle for the sway control. Hopefully I will get everything setup to eliminate and problem towing. I never exceed 65 MPH (ST Tires) and the truck will take any hill without slowing down. Most of the time I run between 1800 and 2200 RPM and under 5 Lbs of boost on the turbo. I keep it in Overdrive except in town or on steep grades, when I use Tow Haul for braking.

You have PLENTY of truck there to tow this trailer --- no problem!! Geesh --- I tow this same trailer with my F150 Max Tow Ecoboost, and am able to tow uphill at 65 mph in 4th gear at 2,900 rpm. I will say that my lighter truck does get into the anti sway programming from Ford once in a while, which probably would not happen with a heavier tow rig.

Glenn and Cheryle- loving retirement
Spokane, Washington
2012 Denali 289RK
2012 F150 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
Denali2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #7

Ontario
Sway 28RK

We have 2013 28RK and it sways so bad we think the math is wrong on the wheel position or alignement to chassis.
Seems like the least bit of wind and we are making unexpected lane changes. Seems like the trailer is pushing the truck left often without wind.
With the rear kitchen it is hard to keep the drawers closed.
Height at the hitch and loads have been adjusted several times.
We we're towing 28ft trailer at similar weight dry weight but it sat lower with low rider axles. We never felt that trailer behind us.
We tow with a 2008 GMC Sierre (1500) Max Package ( 10, 500) and we added rear air bags. Hitch is the Husky Centerline unit with correcting pistons for sway.
rick.nixon@rogers.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #8

Minnesota
Sway troubles

Rick,
The day I pulled my 289RK home I knew it was different than my 26 foot Wilderness. I installed the Reese sway cams on it the first week and really feel they help a lot. I looked at the piston type equalizer bars and felt they could not be strong enough to stop the power of a 34 foot trailer in the wind.

I think the biggest factor probably is the tow vehicle. I have a 2001 Silverado 2500 HD truck. It has load range E tires with 75 pounds of air in them. I have the Reese equalizer and the sway cams. I keep the trailer tires at the suggested pressure, I think it is 65 or 70 pounds. I THINK THE TIRES ARE PROBABLY NUMBER ONE SOURCE OF SWAY AND LOADING THE OTHER NUMBER ONE (assuming the hitch and leveling is right). My old trailer had the water tank in the back and if that was full I had lots of trouble with sway on that unit.

I often think of getting a new F150 truck but I can't get my mind around a half ton truck being stiff enough and tough enough to equal what a 3/4 to or 1 ton truck can do no matter what their ratings say. Mine is rated at 10,500 also.

I do not worry too much about sway but the 289 RK does tend to sway more than anything I have had and I am cautious to keep the speed down (60-65) and watch out for gusty bridge crossings and fast moving semi-trucks.

GOOD LUCK, I hope things get better for you,
Louie
Old 03-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #9

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.nixon@rogers.com View Post
We have 2013 28RK and it sways so bad we think the math is wrong on the wheel position or alignement to chassis.
Seems like the least bit of wind and we are making unexpected lane changes. Seems like the trailer is pushing the truck left often without wind.
With the rear kitchen it is hard to keep the drawers closed.
Height at the hitch and loads have been adjusted several times.
We we're towing 28ft trailer at similar weight dry weight but it sat lower with low rider axles. We never felt that trailer behind us.
We tow with a 2008 GMC Sierre (1500) Max Package ( 10, 500) and we added rear air bags. Hitch is the Husky Centerline unit with correcting pistons for sway.
I just picked up my new 2014 289RK Yesterday and towed it home from the dealer about 60 miles with a strong crosswind. I didn't have any sway problems at all. I tow with a Nissan Titan Crew Cab Long Bed and Equalizer Hitch rated for 1200LBS. My trailer is brand new, dry weight is 7356 lbs and it was empty when we brought it home.

Prior to yesterday, I did all the research I could on what hitch to buy. Most of the information that I found was a choice between three hitches. The Equalizer, Reese Cam Lock or the Anderson. (Without having to take out a 2nd mortgage for a Hensley.) The Husky hitch didn't have any reviews on it and it was never suggested as a must have. It may be a good Hitch, but I just didn't see any reviews on it.

If I were in your situation, The first thing I would do is empty all of my stuff out of it and check the tire pressures on the trailer and truck. Then a take it for a drive to see if it still is having the same problem. This will verify if the problem could be from your loading. If it keeps pulling to the left without winds, I don't think it would be the sway controller.

Good luck and I hope you find a easy solution.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote