Installing 4 6 volt batteries on Coleman travel trailer - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #1

Virginia
Installing 4 6 volt batteries on Coleman travel trailer

I'm looking into a Coleman CM 192 RD and would like to primarily use it for boondocking. In addition to the typical power requirements I also have a CPAP medical device so I want to ensure power will not be a problem. To deal with power I'm thinking of installing 4 6 volt batteries on the trailer and charging them with an upgraded charge controller like the PowerMax PM3-75 converter and a Honda EU2000I.

I'd love to hear how others have mounted 4 6 volt batteries on a travel trailer. The standard battery area in the hitch does not seem large enough to accommodate this many batteries. It also does not seem terribly secure.

Also, I've read that a rule of thumb is to limit the charge rate to 60 amps per hour for flooded cell batteries. Does anyone know if this is different for AGM batteries.

WannaBeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #2

Montana
If you're equipped with a generator for boondocking and the CPAP is the only extra item on top of typical power requirements, then a lot of batteries may not be necessary. Not that anyone usually complains about having properly installed excessive capacity. But 2x6V GC batteries might be more than enough to get your through a full day and night of power needs and you're generator can quickly get them back up to >90% in short order when needed. Solar could, too, although solar isn't quick and obviously requires unobstructed sun. What kind of power draw is the CPAP and will you need an inverter to run it?

For installing 4 batteries, I have seen setups where a narrow truck bed style tool box has been installed on the trailer tongue to house the batteries. An advantage of AGM batteries is that they are sealed and do not vent, so you can install them in the interior of the camper. That front pass thru storage area might work well, or under a dinette seat. That's quite a bit of weight though, so you'd want to be aware of how that would impact the handling of the trailer.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

Arizona
my cpap machine only draws about 60 watts,, I had a Harbor Freight 1500 with two 12 volt deep cell on board,,, I use half my battery power at night and charge the batteries during the day,, I just put in a 800 watt under the 1500 because of so little current draw from the Cpap,, I was also thinking of just running it from the 12 input on the machine but have not done that yet,, my Brother in Law uses a 200 watt inverter 12 volt cigarette lighter type ( cheap 20 buck one ) and does not use the humidifier with his machine,( same machine as mine) and has not had any problems there either.
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #4

Idaho
I had a buddy that bought something for his CPAP that you charged while plugged in and it would run for 2-nights that without a recharge. He mounted next to his side of the bed. He charges for a couple hours every 2-days to get that unit charged. I believe he bought it at Costco and was about $300 if I remember correctly. I can get more information from him if you are interested. I can't remember exactly the product, but he would know that.

Rick
RickNTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #5

Arizona
BIL used one of those Harbor Freight 5 in 1 jumper boxes before getting the 20 dollar 200 watt inverter from Amazon,, we use one to power our TV from the 12 volt outlet behind it, when out on the road, For the price we paid for our trailer, I wish they would have put a 12 volt outlet by each bed and in each room by the tables or somewhere.. I put a 1500 Watt and 800 watt inverter in my storage area but the only access point I put in so far is a different colored outlet next to my side of the bed for my CPAP>> the 1500 watt inverter cooling fan comes on a couple times a night and makes the aluminum frame hum,, might be putting some rubber feet on it..
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:37 AM   #6

Virginia
I have the AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP. DC Power Consumption is 51 Watts Typical; 106 Watts Peak. I can buy a 12V adapter and bypass the inverter which reduces the power requirements.

In addition to the CPAP I will be charging a notebook (inverter) and cell phone (12V). I would also use LED lighting and a TV - probably a 110V as 12V TV's tend to be smaller and more expensive.

The narrow truck bed style tool box looks pretty secure. But as you stated I am a bit concerned with have all the weight so far forward.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:41 AM   #7

Virginia
Thanks Rich,

I found this 12V adapter for my CPAP. Maybe you can find one for your model :-)

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/resm...0-machines.htm
Old 11-23-2016, 02:47 AM   #8

Virginia
Thanks Rich,

I found a DC power adapter for my CPAP here. I am a bit concerned about using this without a surge suppressor which I use on the 110V system.

CPAP.com - DC Converter 24V 90W For AirSenseâ„¢ 10 and AirCurveâ„¢ 10 Machines
Old 11-23-2016, 02:53 AM   #9

Virginia
Thanks. It would be good to hear which device your friend uses. Might be nice to have as a backup.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #10

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeFree View Post
Thanks. It would be good to hear which device your friend uses. Might be nice to have as a backup.
OK, He will be back next week and I'll get the information and post it out there. Have a great Thanksgiving.
RickNTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:23 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Thanks Rich,

I found a DC power adapter for my CPAP here. I am a bit concerned about using this without a surge suppressor which I use on the 110V system.

CPAP.com - DC Converter 24V 90W For AirSenseâ„¢ 10 and AirCurveâ„¢ 10 Machines
This product connects to a battery or battery bank, a power surge can't happen. One could experience a high voltage at the battery but the voltage regulator that holds the output voltage at 12 volts will do its job and maintain the 12 volts.
A low voltage at the battery will cause the voltage regulator to drop out to protect the equipment.
Some 12 volt regulators can handle up to 35 volts DC input so if this happens in a battery bank there will be a problem elsewhere also.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:22 AM   #12

Virginia
And a great Thanksgiving to you and all the Dutchmen Owners :-)
Old 11-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #13

Montana
Quote:
...The narrow truck bed style tool box looks pretty secure. But as you stated I am a bit concerned with have all the weight so far forward.

Thanks.
A heavy tongue weight is often desired for towing stability, assuming your tow vehicle can handle the extra weight on the hitch. I was thinking more along the lines of too heavy on one side of you put them under a dinette.
ewarnerusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #14

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
A heavy tongue weight is often desired for towing stability, assuming your tow vehicle can handle the extra weight on the hitch. I was thinking more along the lines of too heavy on one side of you put them under a dinette.
Thanks ewarnerusa,

Good points on the increased hitch weight leading to towing stability and being too heavy on one side if all the batteries are stored on one side.