I'm sorry to have to ask... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #1

California
I'm sorry to have to ask...

Hello all, I'm very new here and I could just use a little advice. We are really wanting to purchase a TT so we can enjoy some outdoor family time and my husband is a disabled Iraq war veteran he just can't handle tent camping anymore.

We are looking at purchasing this:

http://www.sundownrv.com/default.asp...OwnedInventory

Has anyone had any experience with this model or can you offer any advice? He has only the 4.6L V8, 2014 Toyota Tundra Crewmax, SR5 TRD. We would be getting it for 15,500 out the door, tax, Lic and they are giving him a weight distribution hitch. I've been reading so much I am a little overwhelmed as I've only foundo mostly bad reviews. We live in CA and I don't see us taking it out of state any time soon.

I appreciate ANY advice or experienced reviews. Thank you got your help.

Mitchelle Southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Here is a link to the brochure for that particular trailer. I have a feeling it is going to be close to the limits of the Toyota you have. I am still digging for the specs on it.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #3

California
I know the towing limit is 6700 and the trailer is 5473, but I'm thinking that's pushing it a bit?
Mitchelle Southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:19 PM   #4

California
I had a Tundra 2007 but it had the 5.7 engine and I pulled a #8000+ trailer with it. I'm not sure about the 4.6 though. If I had to guess you should be able to pull a #6000 trailer, my father in law just got a 30ft trailer #6800 and it was the 1/2 ton series. If you watch what you put into it you should be able to do it, remember that if you put water in it for boondoogie the water is really heavy.
hmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:32 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelle Southern View Post
I know the towing limit is 6700 and the trailer is 5473, but I'm thinking that's pushing it a bit?
See if you can find the load capacity of the truck and the GCVW. The load capacity is where most people run into problems. If you read the fine print on most towing and load capacities they are based on a single occupant and not much else. Everything you add to the vehicle after the 150# driver subtracts from the load capacity. Get too much in the truck and then add the tongue weight of the trailer and you will have problems.

We were towing our ~3500# Coleman single axle with a Ford F150 with similar specs to your Toyota. It did fine, and I have towed a 5500# Airstream with the same truck, but Airstreams are a bit different. Both were under the towing limits of the truck.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:10 AM   #6

North Carolina
Will you be able to tow it, yes, where your issues will be is acceleration and hills ( they will really put a strain on that truck ) problem is there just isn't the torque and horses in the 4.6 other than that it, you good.
D&C-Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:22 AM   #7

Colorado
Thats pushing it

Quote:
Thats cutting it to close IMO. Our trailer came off the lot at 4800LBS and our truck is rated to 7800LBS. Now that we are fully loaded , water it tank, etc I bet we are well into the 6K range and my truck feels it. Not saying you can't do it. If you live in the flat lands and that's where you are towing it will probably get you there. With our's, when Im fully loaded and have to tow up a long steeper grade (6%+) I have to really watch my RMP's. If I go over 4K RMP for any length of time I start to over heat the engine. Again, I had almost 3K LBS of play there but you use it quickly.
I feel for you as well. When you really start to dive into how much you can actually tow things can get crazy with your payload on truck, truck weight, camper weight and then additional load! I do however feel confident your cutting it to close.
Good luck,
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #8

Colorado
Hi Mitchelle,

It's hard to detach your decision from the facts once you emotionally decide you want something. California has a lot of flat areas but I'm sure you don't want to camp in the summer heat of most of those campsites. You will eventually want to camp in cooler weather in the summer. I'll leave the number crunching to others. I can tell you that Aaron knows his stuff. I'm posting this because I made a big mistake with my first TT. Yes the numbers were within limits, barely, but it was still a mistake for me. My tow vehicle was a Suburban 1500. That didn't cut it and I ended up having to buy a Suburban 2500 to make thing work on a practical level. Yes I live in Colorado and yes I'm sometimes towing at 10K' but the 1/2 ton just didn't do well even on the easier grades. So I ended up having to buy another TV because I let my emotions dictate my purchase instead of the facts. I've run into quite a few people who bought narrowly within the specs and wish they hadn't. Anyway, that's my story and my recommendation. Oh, one other thing. The sales people will tell you no problem if your within the numbers. They will say anything to make a sale.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #9

Alberta
I've always gone by my personal rule of not exceeding 2/3 of the towing capacity of my tow vehicle for safe towing in all driving conditions (long haul, mountainous climb, highway passing, etc).
vincent.boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #10

Ontario
I've always tried to run at 70% of the towing capacity of my tow vehicle as my MAX for the reasons you are hearing. Don't let the emotion of wanting something make you forget about the reality of it all. Can you haul it? sure. Is it safe? not sure. I would recommend you either down size the TT or up size the TV. just my 2 cents.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
Hello all, I'm very new here and I could just use a little advice. We are really wanting to purchase a TT so we can enjoy some outdoor family time and my husband is a disabled Iraq war veteran he just can't handle tent camping anymore.

We are looking at purchasing this:

http://www.sundownrv.com/default.asp...OwnedInventory

Has anyone had any experience with this model or can you offer any advice? He has only the 4.6L V8, 2014 Toyota Tundra Crewmax, SR5 TRD. We would be getting it for 15,500 out the door, tax, Lic and they are giving him a weight distribution hitch. I've been reading so much I am a little overwhelmed as I've only foundo mostly bad reviews. We live in CA and I don't see us taking it out of state any time soon.

I appreciate ANY advice or experienced reviews. Thank you got your help.

Which one are you looking to purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote