I'm More Than Upset.... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Hut

North Carolina
I'm More Than Upset....

I just saw a thread where someone was upset with people coming on just to bash a product and then be gone. Although I'm on here only sporadically, I'm not a hit and run type.... However, I am about to explode!

We purchased our Kodiak in December, 13. We had a few issues that we wanted to wait until the closing end of or warranty to have fixed to see if there would be more. Since September, 14, we've been going round and round with the manufacturer and our dealer concerning some major delamination. I don't know who to believe as to who is at fault, but I do know how long it's gone on. I got absolutely nothing done until I took the unit back to them and just parked it in front of the shop (4/1). They assured me it would be done in a week and a half.... I still don't have it back, and they've (manufacturer) just said at least another two weeks.

We arranged our jobs to be gone next week in it. So a week of vacation shot without a camper. I'm sure they'll compensate me for pain and anguish!

Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #2

Indiana
I have done that! I parked mine in front of their door so they had to move it before they could open for business.

I feel your pain, Dutchmen and Great Lakes Rv are two companies I wont do business with on our next RV purchase.

At least your warranty is still good on paper you may have better luck than I did.

2013 Denali 311 bhs pos
Love the trailer, hate the dealer and manufacturer.
memgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:57 AM   #3

Indiana
I must agree with memgrove that Great Lakes RV are a bunch of ignorant JERKS (my words). That goes right from the RV dealership owner that owns a construction company down to the learning technician that sweeps floors. All were unknowledgeable about the Dutchmen product. Great Lakes RV also, sells Heartland products. Heartland Company doesn't even want customers to purchase units from them.

I also, agree that Dutchmen manufacturing certainly has its issues.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:58 AM   #4

California
We are beyond upset!

Our 2011 Kodiak 281RLGS was built in April of 2011 and we purchased the rig in May of 2011.

That said, we have had one major, we think life threatening problem with our TT. In the bedroom is a plug that services as a GFI for the entire trailer.

Each time we plug the trailer in to cool the fridge before we can load it, the GFI will pop several times and the fridge converts to gas. This has happened at home, at any and all parks where we camp.

The first time this happened we took it back to Camping World. We were met with accusations that we were just plain stupid people.

We found another RV repair service, Affordable RV in Auburn CA. They said they have never seen a trailer wired the way ours is. When the circuit pops, everything in the trailer shuts off.

We have had this in four times now for the same issue. It is a fire hazard. We know this. There is also a lemon law in California where if an RV is taken in to a repair service for the same issue, then the manufacturer is required to purchase the rig back from the owner.

This is the only issue with our TT. But, it is an unnerving one. We never know when the circuits are going to pop. My husband is an engineer and he tried without any success to find a wiring schematic for our trailer. Dutchmen was of no help.

It appears that the entire trailer is wired through one GFI. The repairman said he had never seen one in the bedroom before. AT one point I was drying my hair in the bathroom and the circuit popped. The GFI in the bathroom didn't pop, but the one in the bedroom did. Of course, the TV, coffee maker, fridge and microwave all shut off.

Our TT is currently at the repair shop as we purchased an extended warranty and it covers electrical problems. Will come back after the issue has been addressed and will update. Can't wait to sell this unit. We plan on selling the TT and our truck as a package. But, we don't want to sell a major problem to some unsuspecting buyer.
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:13 AM   #5

Louisiana
Not knowing your complete situation, I have seen outlets in line after the GFI plug. My advice to you though is simple: since it sounds like your GFI breaker is weak, and you ALSO have a GFI outlet in the bathroom, replace the one in the bedroom with a standard outlet.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:51 AM   #6

California
Thanks, but we replaced the GFI in the bedroom with a bigger one, but the same situation continues to happen. We delivered our rig to the repair shop and they are working on it. We have our fingers crossed. It appears that the entire trailer is wired through the bedroom. Hopefully they can fix the problem so we can sell it.
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #7

South Carolina
Shore power should come into your power distribution panel first. It's often the same box as the "converter," i.e. the source of 12 volts. After first coming into your trailer as shore power, through a 30 amp, or one of two 25 amp circuits in a 50 amp configuration, then it will typically go first to a GFCI, then on to "slave" outlets from there. That way they all get the same GFCI protection. Everything you describe, except for the tripping, is normal.
You have a loose wire, could be black, white or green. Check all the circuits after the GFCI. Mis-wired is common, so is a staple going through a wire. Isolate the circuit one at a time by taking each circuit apart, if possible. Good luck!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #8

Nevada
This sounds like a loose neutral before the GFCI.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote