I hate meeeeecs to pieces! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #1

Pennsylvania
Question I hate meeeeecs to pieces!

Hi You all:
I'm a newbie to both forums and RVing in general.

We just got a new Aspen Trail LE 25 BH. We camped 4 nights in Shenandoah NP. After one night critters go into our food stored under the kitchen sink. We were then visited every night by the critter(s). Just the food under the sink, not the upper cabinets. I got the trailer home and I have looked underneath the for an entry point. I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions? I also see Dutchman used a grey colored foam to seal the holes for utilities into the trailer. Does anybody know the type or brand name of the foam?
Thanks in advance.
Gary

Glo1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo1954 View Post
Hi You all:
I'm a newbie to both forums and RVing in general.

We just got a new Aspen Trail LE 25 BH. We camped 4 nights in Shenandoah NP. After one night critters go into our food stored under the kitchen sink. We were then visited every night by the critter(s). Just the food under the sink, not the upper cabinets. I got the trailer home and I have looked underneath the for an entry point. I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions? I also see Dutchman used a grey colored foam to seal the holes for utilities into the trailer. Does anybody know the type or brand name of the foam?
Thanks in advance.
Gary

Just so you know, a mouse can collapse its body to fit almost anywhere. They can go through spots as large as a number two pencil.

Dutchman probably doesn't know what foam they use but a wild guess says it's whatever they can get for the best price. The foam from the lumber yard will work. Just don't use the high expanding foam in small places because it will distort things. There is the low expanding stuff available.
I won't offer suggestions as how to keep them out, you'll be enlightened by a few members soon enough.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:54 PM   #3

New York
I had one get under my sink in my Coleman 244BH, crawl into my empty garbage can, was unable to get out and died. Luckily i was only out of it less than 2 weeks between trips, but he had started to stink a bit. When it happened I opened everything I could on that side looking for entry points from the enclosed underbelly. I stuffed them with steel wool and duct taped around them. Mostly holes where the plumbing goes through. I dont know for sure but I think he got in where the foam had split and dried around my low point drains, so I stuffed that with steel wool and squirted some more foam in there to reseal it. Also stuffed some steel wool at the crotch of the dump valves. No issues since, and I dont leave my garbage can in it long term anymore either. Needless to say, I wouldnt store food there anymore if you can help it. Mine all goes in the pantry which is (seemingly) inaccessible to critters
Tackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:40 PM   #4

Connecticut
They do sell a mouse resistant foam sealer now.
raycfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #5

Florida
the AC guys used steel wool to seal the lines coming into the house when they installed a new AC, was not much of a deterrent. I took the step to use the expandable foam ... no more mouse issues.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice