How to run Winegard WiFi? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2020, 06:56 PM   #1

Colorado
How to run Winegard WiFi?

Aloha! Does anyone know how to fire up the wifi on a Winegard Connect unit? It came installed on our 2020 Kodiak Cub 175BH that we purchased in November, but have never tried out the wifi since. I was able to locate a power switch (a button underneath the stereo above the rear dinette seat) and it illuminates. However, when I force my phone and laptop to search for a wifi network nothing comes up. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance! Rick

1Ricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #2

Alabama
The antenna installed is simply an Over The Air signal. Kodiak has not yet installed a 360+ antenna which would still need a the Winegard G-1000 Gateway.

You can purchase a Connect Prep Kit from a Dutchmen dealer to be able to add the Gateway. But... the current antenna you have installed does not have Wi-Fi capabilities with out some modifications.

Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #3

Colorado
Thanks for the reply!

So this antenna - the Air 360 - is just for TV?

If so, do you happen to know what that Winegard wifi button that I do have and is illuminated does/is for? There was a pamphlet (not informative) that said the trailer is prewired for the Winegard Connect 2.0.

Does the Connect 2.0 system replace this antenna? Or is it another unit that has to be installed into the roof?
Old 05-06-2020, 08:35 PM   #4

Florida
Do you know if you have a wingard connect data plan?

https://winegard.com/products/cellul.../connect-2-4g2

2 years parts, 1 year labor
Complimentary Telephone and Email Support
Online Technical Manuals and Instructions
Large Dealer Support Network

manual...
https://d38mfwkkxtsm2m.cloudfront.ne...ts/2452399.pdf
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:29 PM   #5

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Ricker View Post
Thanks for the reply!

So this antenna - the Air 360 - is just for TV?

If so, do you happen to know what that Winegard wifi button that I do have and is illuminated does/is for? There was a pamphlet (not informative) that said the trailer is prewired for the Winegard Connect 2.0.

Does the Connect 2.0 system replace this antenna? Or is it another unit that has to be installed into the roof?
2.0 replaces the Antenna and more than likely the switch that you have will power it up. The plant likes to prep things and leave the wiring coiled up in the roof. $15 worth of wiring and switch equals happy camper.

The 2.0 antenna has a removable sim card. If you have a Verizon account you can buy a sim card and add it as a device to your account and voila you have a hot spot.

Or, you could do like I do and buy a tablet that has a hot spot so you can use it in other places that just the camper. I feel this is my best way of having a hot spot anywhere and would like to hear comments on why I am wrong... and go.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #6

Florida
I use my phone as a hotspot all the time, especially for my wife's ipad. Issue I have with it is that the data throughput is much less than just the phone alone. Doesn't give 4G speeds at all but it still works. I also connect my ipad in the truck to the phone's hotspot when traveling, at least I can get some which is better than nothing!!!

Good recommendation!

By the way, I use VERIZON.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:47 PM   #7

Colorado
Thank you all for the input.

Kodiak (Dutchmen) just got back to me and confirmed what had been said here: the Air 360 that came installed is just an over-the-air antenna. To enable it to pick up wifi internet I need to add the Winegard Connect 2.0

Winegard replied to and suggested the lowest cost route is the Connect 2.0. They said one option would be to replace the Air 360 with an Air360+ and a Gateway. While that would keep the equipment on my roof to just one device, it would be more expensive than adding the Connect 2.0

Ultimately I'm going to opt to do nothing for now. We went to a campground in San Diego recently where the wifi from the host to our site was full blast and strong enough not to need any booster.

Thanks again for everyone's help and input.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:41 AM   #8

California
I bet adding a wifi hotspot to your cell phone will be less expensive and just as good. No basis for this but just a guess. Adding something to an existing cellular account is often cheaper than starting up something with a new provider.

Good luck.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #9

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
I bet adding a wifi hotspot to your cell phone will be less expensive and just as good. No basis for this but just a guess. Adding something to an existing cellular account is often cheaper than starting up something with a new provider.

Good luck.
The cool thing with the Winegard 2.0 or the 360+ with a gateway is that you can add it onto an existing cell plan as another device. The problem with that is that you have a monthly fee now for that Winegard antenna. Now, I love camping and try to get out as much as possible in the 6 month season. So that being said I'm only gonna use it 6 or 7 times during the season and pay every month of the year, unless there is a way to suspend service that I don't know about.

This is good stuff. I am glad this issue was brought up. I thought I was the only one that thought, "wow, what a great idea. I just dont see myself paying for something I'm not gonna use all the time."