Hot water heater valve correct? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #1

Louisiana
Question Hot water heater valve correct?

I am a novice, so I am hoping someone out there can help. On a recent trip, we had to drain out the anti-freeze from winterizing. We opened the valve to then let the water into the hot water tank, and water went in. However, the water never got warm on either electric on gas. I tried to research how the valve is supposed to be set, but I only found posts showing several valves, and I seem to only have one. Thanks for any suggestions! This is on a 2015 Aerolite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190713_192910.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	5608  

SunnyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyT View Post
I am a novice, so I am hoping someone out there can help. On a recent trip, we had to drain out the anti-freeze from winterizing. We opened the valve to then let the water into the hot water tank, and water went in. However, the water never got warm on either electric on gas. I tried to research how the valve is supposed to be set, but I only found posts showing several valves, and I seem to only have one. Thanks for any suggestions! This is on a 2015 Aerolite.
When you open the drain valve on the hot water heater, do you get water? That valve really is supposed to bypass the hot water heater, or in the case of yours, it looks like it shuts the water off to the hot water heater??? Funny, you only have ONE valve.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #3

Louisiana
We get water out of the faucet, and I can tell from the drip outside that the water heater has water. Nobody's pictures I looked at had just one valve like that. The only other valve I found anywhere near it was one that allowed you to let water out of that white hose with the blue stripe, which is just open on the end. I kept reading about people somehow letting cold water mix with the hot, so I thought maybe that is what I had done. It is going to shop next week for another issue, so I can get them to look at that, too, I guess. I wish the manual would have shown something! Thanks!
Old 07-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #4

Oklahoma
I'm guessing the red line on the valve goes to the top of the tank, which it should to allow the hot water to flow.
Why it connects to the cold water inlet is a mystery.
Now, the red line to the left of the tank looks as if it goes through the floor at the bottom. Where does it go at the top?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #5

Louisiana
That part you see on the left actually just goes to the floor and "T"s into a red cable that goes to the kitchen sink to the left, and runs along floor out of sight on right. There seems to be no valves anywhere on the red hose.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:44 PM   #6

Oklahoma
The valve you show looks to be a three way. Used to bypass the heater during winterization. But, if the red line goes from the valve to the top of the tank the only way hot water can get out is to be circulated back into the cold water input. That won't work real well as you know.
We're missing something. One cold water line in and one hot out but even with the valve turned the correct way the hot water either circulates or it doesn't flow at all.

I'm at a loss
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #7

Louisiana
I honestly don't know if it ever worked - we used it once two years ago for a weekend, and I don't recall if we had hot water! Thanks for trying to solve the mystery. At least I feel better that it is befuddling to more than just me.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:06 PM   #8

Florida
Don't turn it on unless you are absolutely sure you have water in the tank. If you take the drain plug out of the tank, is there water in the tank? Leave the drain plug out and twist the valve...
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:08 PM   #9

Louisiana
If I took the drain plug out at the RV park, water gushed out, so I knew the tank was full.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:12 AM   #10

Alabama
The valve is a three way. The "handle" portion should be pointing towards the inlet on te bottom of your tank when you want hot water. If you want to bypass the water heater turn it up so it points towards the bypass line. To check it for sure, turn on the water and go out to the relief valve. When you open the relief valve you should have water pressure for an extended amount of time.
Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revere411 View Post
The valve is a three way. The "handle" portion should be pointing towards the inlet on te bottom of your tank when you want hot water. If you want to bypass the water heater turn it up so it points towards the bypass line. To check it for sure, turn on the water and go out to the relief valve. When you open the relief valve you should have water pressure for an extended amount of time.
Revere has it right, you are bypassed right now. The handle shows which way the water will flow. Turn the handle down so it is in line with the cold water inlet to the bottom of the water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190119_174441.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	5623  
Old 07-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #12

Wisconsin
I have seen one, two, and three valve water heater bypass systems. My 2018 Kodiak Cub has a one valve system. The other valves have been replaced by check valves.

In any case all the valves for the bypass will probably be within a few inches of the water heater tank.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #13

Wisconsin
The valve in your picture appears to be set half way on. Try turning it all the way on.

Hot water out of the tank usually comes from the top fitting. Cold water into the tank is usually at the bottom. So, the valve shown is probably water into the tank.

When running on gas, does the burner light and run when first switched on?

There may be a small red light inside the TT near the control switch for propane operation. This is for automatic lighting heaters. The red light on means the heater failed to light and has been shut off for safety.

Open the pressure relief valve in the heater outside access space a little. Does hot water come out? If answer is "no" then heating element and/or propane burner is not working.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:03 AM   #14

Louisiana
I don't have it hooked to water right now, but as soon as I can I will investigate. Thanks!

Tags
aerolite, hot water heater