Front Fibreglass Oxidized - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2020, 04:15 PM   #1

Washington
Front Fibreglass Oxidized

I have a 2018 Coleman 2605 RL which has the olive green colors. I normally cover the trailer over the winter and keep it waxed, but last fall I developed a severe back problem, which kept me from getting on the roof to cover it. So, this Spring when I took it out of the outdoor storage place, the front of the trailer over the Coleman logo, is badly faded and oxidized. I tried polishing it out with auto scratch polish, to no avail. Has anyone experienced this and if so, were you able to restore the color? I'd like to sell it now, but unfortunately the front makes it look a lot older than a 2 year old trailer.

blokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Restoring Fiberglass

There are various systems available to restore fiberglass and decals. I bought the Polyglow kit and it works fine for my not vary faded TT. My kit included a cleaning chemical and scrub pad. The cleaning step required a lot of elbow grease. It did a great job and did not damage either fiberglass or decals. You may have already damaged the surface using an automotive polishing compound.

The finish step restores the shine and protects the surface from UV. I presume UV levels are high in Loveland. The finish step is easy to apply but very finicky about the exact method of application. Follow detailed instructions exactly for excellent results.

Polyglow also sells a heavy duty cleaner for severely deteriorated surfaces. I did not need that. The Polygolow system seems to work well on paint and plastic surfaces like bumpers, vent covers, and fittings as well. I am not sure it is recommended for that purpose.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #3

Washington
Thanks Paul. I hadn't heard of Polyglow before. I watched a video on-line and it looks like it could do the job, although the Amazon site has some negative reviews about trying to get it off and using it a second time after weathering for a year. I may give it a try.
blokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #4

Wisconsin
I read a lot of those reviews last year. Most of them complained about something specifically addressed in the instructions such as streaking. There are specific instructions on how to apply. Do it exactly as instructed to prevent streaking etc.

Treat the finish coat like a varnish. Apply in only one direction. Do a small section. Do not try to smooth the drying coat. Lift the application mitt gradually as you finish the stroke. Pressing to hard or lifting without moving will leave bubbles. Let the coat dry before adding another coat or overlapping the next section.

Rough surfaces like imitation diamond plate will have a slightly uneven coat around the diamonds and may have bubbles at the transition between the diamonds and flat surface. The same may happen at trim edges. I think the transition affect looks fine after it dries.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote