First Trip with Aspen Trail 1900RB - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

Ontario
First Trip with Aspen Trail 1900RB

My wife and I bought a used 2012 Aspen Trail after a bit of research, I liked this trailer for its size to accommodate 2 people, fresh water and waste tank capacities and its high load carrying capacity as I did not want to be running near the limit for tires and axles.
Prior to our departure in February for the South West USA (TX, AZ & NM) I had to "fix" a few things. The original radio was junk so I installed a Sony car radio in its place and this is great. Added a second battery and bought 2 40Watt solar panels and replaced all the interior light bulbs with LEDs. I also insulated the inside of the storage area with 11/2 inch styrofoam and modified the rear hanging closet to take advantage of the full height of the space, that meant making new larger doors to match the originals.
We did over 12000 km (7500 miles) in six weeks with no major problems other than losing 3 trim rings from the wheels due to some horrendous potholes on the freeways. We found the trailer met our expectations and was very comfortable and convenient. We dry camped on a few occasions for 4 nights maximum at one location and had to use the furnace in some of the more northern areas of Arizona but the solar panels charged our batteries adequately during the day.
We towed the trailer with a 2014 F150 with 5 litre motor and found the rig very stable and it delivered a true 11.5 mpg for the entire trip. This was our learning run and next year we plan a longer time away to escape the Ontario winter.

bigearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:08 PM   #2

Florida
Congratulations on your Aspen Trail. My wife and I have the same unit. Glad to see yours is holding up so well. We have had the same experience. We have done a 2000 mile round trip to Missouri and a bunch of local stuff with no issues. looking forward to hearing about your future trips!

Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #3

California
Welcome bigearl and don't wait until next winter to take it out again. Weekend get ways are just as relaxing & fun.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #4

Ontario
Thanks for the comments and welcome, we certainly look forward to our next trip. We really enjoyed the State, National and the COE parks really beautiful, and we always met friendly folks with great advice and experiences that they passed on to us. This retirement is the best job I have ever had!!
bigearl is offline   Reply With Quote