first time out thoughts - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2021, 04:51 AM   #1

Florida
first time out thoughts

i picked up a used lantern 3035rl (2017) and am thinking about the first trip,
now im thinking it may be prudent to get 5 goodyear trailer tires since they would have a known pedigree, hook up tpms in them, add a rear camera, rear basket with a generator, and a hensley hitch.

might not be a bad idea to add another battery as well.
would this be a valid consideration on a journey where i would not want to encounter issues along the way?

except for addibg 2 rotopax gas cans to the truck for the generator, and hooking electronics to truck tpms, camera..
the truck should be capable, as it is a 2019 f350 ccsb,

im looking forward to it.

mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapper View Post
i picked up a used lantern 3035rl (2017) and am thinking about the first trip,
now im thinking it may be prudent to get 5 goodyear trailer tires since they would have a known pedigree, hook up tpms in them, add a rear camera, rear basket with a generator, and a hensley hitch.

might not be a bad idea to add another battery as well.
would this be a valid consideration on a journey where i would not want to encounter issues along the way?

except for addibg 2 rotopax gas cans to the truck for the generator, and hooking electronics to truck tpms, camera..
the truck should be capable, as it is a 2019 f350 ccsb,

im looking forward to it.
All very sound ideas and glad to hear you would consider following recommendations concerning tires. Where are you planning on going? Most Floridians head north - about the only place to go for a definite change of scenery.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #3

Florida
well, north of course, land between lakes, then work to wisconsin, then across south dakota with a few stops in souix city, then badlands, then black hills, then work toward denver, then mosey home, through arkansas and lousiana, and enjoy a sunset on mobile bay
Old 09-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #4

Wisconsin
I agree. It is a great plan. I recommend a couple of short excursions to start with. Lots of issues can be more easily dealt with near home.

Now is a good time for camping in Wisconsin. Pressure on campgrounds is decreasing, but still high, especially for electric sites. Most weekends are already booked for September in State Parks. Running generators are not allowed in State Parks.
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/
All State Park sites require on-line registration until camping season is over.

Forest Service campgrounds are mainly in the northern part of the state. Most are first come first serve and on-site self registration. https://www.recreation.gov/

Later in September tree leaves will be turning in the Northern areas. Color lasts for about two weeks and slowly moves south.

Peninsula State Park north of Green Bay is a great place to stop for a while.
Wyalusing State Park where the Wisconsin river meets the Mississippi river is great on the western side of the state. It is worth a weeks stay. Hike the Bluff Trail.

There are hundreds of State Park and US Forest Service campgrounds. Most are worth a couple of nights stay. If you want more recommendations, just ask.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:45 PM   #5

Florida
awesome trip, piney campground at LBL was great, as was Badlands, np, and custer sp, lake minatare was cool, as was lake bruin, lake qua hita, mobile bay.