First time out. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2016, 03:22 AM   #1

New Jersey
First time out.

Spent our shakedown cruise on Memorial day, at Pine Cone campground near freehold, nj. Very nice place. Went with two other rver's and their families. Had a great weekend even with a bit of overnight rain.. Just about everything on the trailer worked without a hitch.

The progressive industries EMS, that I installed, shut down on low line voltage like it should. I guess everybody running their AC in the 90 deg plus temps and high humidity dropped the line voltage.

I had to remove the flow restricting device in the "y" splitter to my 11 lb propane tank, so that I could operate my coleman stove and mini portable grill at the same time. A Leatherman did the job nicely.

Based on our experience we learned a few things.

I decided that cranking the tongue jack in the 90 deg plus temps was not fun. Installed new electric tongue jack yesterday.

Wife didn't like the single entrance step so I ordered a 2 step unit from etrailer and installed that this morning. Very simple install and worth the effort.

Added a couple of adjustable shelves in the pantry next to the entrance door, this afternoon.

Also added "double coat hooks to the bathroom wall, on the walls on either side of the bed, and on the wall next to the entrance. They do a great job for hanging bath towels, pants and T shirts at night, Broom and fly swatter near the entrance

Used lots of Dollar store plastic baskets to organize the storage space. They worked great!

Didn't like the dinette so we bought two high back mesh office chairs and will install a credenza with the table hinged to it so it can be folded down, instead of using those d@$n posts. Will give us a lot of useable space.

When dumping tanks at the dump station, (a new experience) I was dismayed with the leaking of the connection to the trailer drain pipe. Need to figure out how to stop that! Do they all drip?

Finally I have to confess that I put too much weight in the rear of my pickup bed. It created a noticeable difference in stability while driving. While the drive was comfortable, it was slightly less than rock solid. When I moved the weight into the trailer (cooler, popup canopy, propane tank, and tool box) for the return trip, the stability improved quite a bit

Pics of mods to follow in the near future. Wife is thrilled with the mods and the whole camping experience..

Father's Day weekend We'll be camping down near Cape May.
Wife and I cant wait!!

After reading many of the posts on this and other sites, I cant tell you how relieved I am that the dealer did a great job delivering an essentially trouble free RV, that we thoroughly enjoyed that weekend.

All the best.

Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #2

Nevada
Pat, Glad to hear all went well, now just don't add to many things, like the rest of us....LOL

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #3

New Jersey
Thanks Rich, I didn't mean to sound like I was bragging.. I guess being a bit of a "worry wart" I expected problems, and was ecstatic about how well everything went..

The only problem I consider worth pursuing is the dripping at the slinky to holding tank connection, while hooked up to the dump station.. Is that normal? Is there a fix?

It seems like half the fun of being an RV owner is customizing your baby with a few choice additions!!
Allentown, NJ
Old 06-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #4

Nevada
Pat, I didn't think you were Bragging……You are happy, and that's great…..As to your drain, what part is dripping, if it is leaking at the connection, then check to see if anything, rock, sand, or etc. is attached to the rubber seal… now some hoses leak, check to see if there is a small hole in the hose, if so, change it, you can't have anything leaking!!
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Sounds like you had a good time!

What brand of sewer hose do you have? Some are better quality than others. Also make sure it is locked all the way down.

We were supposed to go camping this weekend but due to my bride having to work and the excessive heat (100° ) the dog and I decided to stay home mow grass and work on the camper instead.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:12 PM   #6

New Jersey
Sorry to hear about your cancelled trip Aaron, but at those temps I think I would be more comfortable at home sipping on a cold one or two, between chores....

As for the leak, its at the connection. So I plan to apply a little GE silicone valve lube to the seal and wipe down the drain pipe before I connect the slinky, and see if I can avoid the pleasure of that darn small but unpleasant trickle.

Don't know the brand but if the above doesn't fix the problem I guess a new slinky will be in order...

Thanks for your input..

All the best in you travels..

Pat
Allentown, NJ
Old 06-12-2016, 02:42 AM   #7

Massachusetts
Pat
I've got the Coleman rear dining version of that model (CT192RDS). A little different set up. I'm also a first timer. I've had mine out several times already and had the dripping hose too, found out my Rhino hose twists on to lock (I should have read the instructions), I had to screw the collar up and then lock it, no more leaks. I also replaced the dinette with an office chair and desk since I use it as an office too. Mine has a couch, so I have another option for relaxing. Good luck on your mods, I've found that there is always something to improve!

Jerry
Jwall62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:05 AM   #8

South Carolina
If you didn't twist to lock it, you were EXTREMELY lucky the water pressure alone didn't push the hose off!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #9

Illinois
Leak

If you twisted the valve tight and it's still leaking, smear some Vaseline (gloves firsts, LOL) on the seal, that will take care of it.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #10

New Jersey
Well it had to happen
Turned on the AC yesterday to do some work in the TT and Low and behold it quit blowing cold air!! I could tell by the EMS that the compressor was kicking on but the coils stayed warm.. Contacted The sales folks who sold me the trailer and am beginning the warranty claim...
Wadaya gonna do???
Stuff happens.
All the best.
Pat
Allentown, NJ
Old 06-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #11

Nevada
Condenser could be freezing up. If you turn it off for awhile and then turn it back on does it get cold again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tap
2014 V3005 Voltage Toy Hauler
2012 Dodge Ram 2500. Firestone Bags. 1 ton+ leaf spring pack basically stock
Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #12

New Jersey
Thanks
I did try just that... Coils don't even get cool, when restarting after being off for a couple of hours... Called in to RV Value mart for advice on where to bring it to get it fixed...

So far so good..

All the best
Pat
Allentown, NJ
Old 06-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #13

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwall62 View Post
Pat
I've got the Coleman rear dining version of that model (CT192RDS). A little different set up. I'm also a first timer. I've had mine out several times already and had the dripping hose too, found out my Rhino hose twists on to lock (I should have read the instructions), I had to screw the collar up and then lock it, no more leaks. I also replaced the dinette with an office chair and desk since I use it as an office too. Mine has a couch, so I have another option for relaxing. Good luck on your mods, I've found that there is always something to improve!

Jerry
could you post some pictures of the dinette delete?
d_eggman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:32 PM   #14

New Jersey
Had a great father's day weekend. Stayed down in Galloway and being near Atlantic city, we had a really nice breeze of the ocean.
So we didn't miss the AC (air conditioner)
A little silicone grease on the rubber rings on the slinky took care of all of the leaks and drips..
Made an appointment with Scotts motor coach in Lakewood NJ to get the AC fixed. So things are looking up..

I'll gladly post pics of the "dinettectomy" in the next few weeks...

All the best
Pat

Allentown, NJ