Extreme water usage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #1

Oregon
Extreme water usage

I am hooked up to city water. The water company tells me I am using 6 gallons of water a minute even with no water running inside.
I have checked for leaks and checked the fresh water tank. I cannot figure out where the water is going. Please help!?

Tinama02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinama02 View Post
I am hooked up to city water. The water company tells me I am using 6 gallons of water a minute even with no water running inside.
I have checked for leaks and checked the fresh water tank. I cannot figure out where the water is going. Please help!?

Read the meter if you can and then disconnect the RV. Read the meter again in an hour or two.

If you were leaking 360 gallons an hour you'd see it somewhere. Maybe their meter is jacked up, especially if it's one of the electronic drive by read type.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:07 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Read the meter if you can and then disconnect the RV. Read the meter again in an hour or two.

If you were leaking 360 gallons an hour you'd see it somewhere. Maybe their meter is jacked up, especially if it's one of the electronic drive by read type.

+1. No chance you are using that much water—at least without seeing it somewhere. Tell the City their meter is broken.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:50 AM   #4

Texas
Then there is the chance the city has the electronic meter assigned to the wrong address. Me and the city water department had a big to do over my water bill for about three months. Finally took pictures of my meter and the neighbors meter for the final showdown. The field idiot admitted never checking the electronic reading assignment to the meter serial number/assigned physical address. Have to admit, it was kind of fun watching them eat crow and try to walk back all the bad things they had said to me.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:46 PM   #5

Washington
Probably have a leak between the meter and the spigot you are connected to. You are responsible for the line from the meter to your residence.
Beachfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:26 AM   #6
RDJ

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachfishing View Post
Probably have a leak between the meter and the spigot you are connected to. You are responsible for the line from the meter to your residence.
Ditto on that one
Old 09-08-2020, 06:50 AM   #7

Oregon
Looked in the crawl space?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:06 AM   #8

California
The OP joined the forum and made one post on 8/27. Several members have responded, as this is a great group of helpful members, and the OP never bothered to come back.

Seems like everyone posting their ideas is pointless at this point as we would probably figure out the issue anyway.

Not to be critical but the original question seems a little odd anyway as there would be a lake of water under the trailer if this much water was being used. I think we just consider this thread closed.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #9

Oregon
Thank you everyone!

I did read all the comments. It was the meter that was faulty! The question is not odd. It was what I was told. I did not think it was possible without an obvious leak. Thanks again!

Tinama02 is offline   Reply With Quote