Extended Warranty Worth It? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #1

Washington
Extended Warranty Worth It?

Noob question here. Picking up our new TT next week and the dealer is trying to talk us into the extended warranty. The TT has one year and dealer is pitching EasyCare TotalCare as a 5 year extended warranty. But since the first is covered by Dutchman it's really only 4 years since the first is double covered. I've always turned down extended warranties on other items but not sure about a TT. This is our first full size trailer (2016 Denali 2371RB) with a whole lot more to go bad. What are your thoughts? We upgraded from a small tent trailer that has very little to go out.

GradyEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #2

Arizona
There is a ton of talk about warrantee work on this forum. Most of us don't like the thought of the dealer working on any thing. If you can do the work yourself do the work yourself.

The one year warrantee should cover anything that you discover may need fixing.

Others will comment, I'm sure.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #3

Texas
I've also always turned down extended warranties. However, I did buy one for my Voltage after reading about issues with the Schwintek slides.

I turned it down from the dealer because the total cost was to be added to my note for which interest was charged over time. I bought an aftermarket warranty that I can pay by the year with no interest.

Something to consider as you shop around.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #4

Tennessee
Nope.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #5

South Carolina
An extended warranty is insurance. Is it worth it? Those who have had claims say yes, those who paid for it and never used it say no. Like term life insurance. Like Arlan says, if you can do it yourself, you are best off fixing things that way. How handy are you? Can you replace plumbing? Troubleshoot and fix electrical problems. How about frames, slides, and axles? There is no right or wrong answer here, it's a very personal decision. But there are plenty of opinions! You know what they say about that!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #6

Arizona
One other thought.

When I bought my fifth-wheel I was also offered an extended warrantee. I bought it. It had the option to cancel within the first 90 days.

On our first trip out we had problems with the generator and transfer switch. I started reading the extended warrantee and I stated that within the first year, if the trailer need warrantee work, it had to go back to the original place of purchase. Well were traveling and that was not an option.

I called and canceled. They were good about the cancelation and we got a check within a reasonable amount of time.

I have no idea if all extended warrantees are like that.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Maybe...

I would look for a company other than the what the dealer is pushing and compare apples to apples. My wife got it originally, but after careful review we canceled it. On our small trailer I would have had to replace every major appliance twice for the warranty to even come close to paying for itself (one advantage of buying a small cheap trailer ) Also read the terms of the warranty, where work has to be performed, etc. In most cases IMHO they aren't worth the money, especially if you can do your own work. If you use the trailer at all, most of your problems will show up in the first year.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #8

Washington
Thank you very much. I too am not one to buy the extended warranty but thought I'd get all your thoughts too. I appreciate those who chimed in. Thanks.

GradyEB is offline   Reply With Quote