Electronic Stabilizer Buttons Are Sticking 287re - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

Texas
Electronic Stabilizer Buttons Are Sticking 287re

I have a 2013 287re. It has the electronic stabilizers on both the front and back. The buttons for both sets of stabilizers are the "rocker" type button for lowering and raising the stabilizers. Meaning, when you lower you hold the button in the down position and when you release the button it springs back to the neutral position. Same when you raise the stabilizers, you hold the button in the up position and then when you let go it goes back to the neutral position. Anyways, both buttons stick in the up or down position and don't spring back when you let go. I have to mess with them when and rock them back and forth to stop the levelers from moving when I use them. Anyone else have this problem? Can I take them off and open them up and lube them without messing up the electrical connections in them? Thanks Y'all .

Bear25314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #2

Utah
go to radio shack and get a spray can of electronic lubricate and cleaner. Spray the switches and see if that helps. do not use a petroleum based product as that will damage the plastic rocker switch..

mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #3

British Columbia
Get yourself a tube of dilectic grease. Use a little on the switches, then use some on your battery cables (after you clean them), any electrical fittings that are out in the elements and any other place where there is a chance of moisture attacking the connections.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #4

I also have the same jacks on my TT, sticky switches as well. These are low quality devices which are not meant for the environment they are installed in. The switches on my front power jack have recently failed to the extent of not working at all, a small amount of moisture is all it takes to corrode them into not working. Source new ones of a marine grade sealed type and you won't have the same issues in the future.
TheWeltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeltons View Post
I also have the same jacks on my TT, sticky switches as well. These are low quality devices which are not meant for the environment they are installed in. The switches on my front power jack have recently failed to the extent of not working at all, a small amount of moisture is all it takes to corrode them into not working. Source new ones of a marine grade sealed type and you won't have the same issues in the future.
Had the same problem with mine, new, and after 5 months had to replace the rear switch. Poor design on my rig. Coleman 297 RE, the switch is behind the wheels and open to all the road water and what ever else is tossed up. Was going to build a bracket and deflector / block but may check into marine grade switches as you mention. Thanks!
robchur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Something to think about with these exposed switches. How about fabricating a weatherproof switch box. Put normal rocker switches in the weatherproof box and mount the box on the outside of the trailer.

Or, using the same weather box and switches add a pigtail. You'll need a weatherproof receptacle to plug the switch box into. Once level and happy simply unplug the pigtail box and stow. The switches are out of the weather, no box mounted on the rig and the receptacle is closed and kept dry.

Obviously the manufacturer's engineers don't use these things (like most engineers), so you'll need to do their thinking for them.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Something to think about with these exposed switches. How about fabricating a weatherproof switch box. Put normal rocker switches in the weatherproof box and mount the box on the outside of the trailer.

Or, using the same weather box and switches add a pigtail. You'll need a weatherproof receptacle to plug the switch box into. Once level and happy simply unplug the pigtail box and stow. The switches are out of the weather, no box mounted on the rig and the receptacle is closed and kept dry.

Obviously the manufacturer's engineers don't use these things (like most engineers), so you'll need to do their thinking for them.
Remote switch box is a great idea. You would want to track down a good quality receptacle that seals its self, maybe a 7 terminal trailer conector or a tractor/trailer set up.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote